Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Please contain your excitement but the 4K Steelbook of Madame Web is available for pre-order now for a mere £34.99!! Bargain.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gman - reset the clock

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    In my veins
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Looks solid and hopefully Ridley is nowhere near the script.
  • That looks great.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Hmmmm
    Gonna keep my expectations low in the hope of being presently surprised I think.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I can’t remember the last Alien film I saw.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My tactic is to try to forget all the recent Alien films I’ve seen.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I didn’t watch Prometheus because it got naff reviews. What came before that?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Alien Resurrection
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    (or AvsP)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There hasn't been a bad Alien movie and I include the alien v predator movies in there. Just watch em as movies instead of chin-stroking hhmmm but what does it mean IN THE UNIVERSE lads its monsters fucking people up let's have it
  • Kinda agree, not that I've seem the AvP films. The Terminator franchise nosedive is the one worth weeping over.
  • Does this one have hiding-in-locker scenes?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    AvP1 is a certified banger get on it lad
  • I might have watched that during lockdown actually. Memory is a bit hazy. I definitely watched Freddie Vs Jason.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And now I have to rewatch Freddy v Jason nice one bruv
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    DS. Watching trash so we don’t have to.

(he says, watching Madame Web).
  • That Alien trailer is definitely grand, but I remain skeptical.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    DS. Watching trash so we don’t have to.

(he says, watching Madame Web).

Am just waiting for someone to make RobloxCop it'll be great
  • DIY or die. Get that written up as a pitch. One page plus an AI generated ‘mood vision’. Netflix will bite your hand off to make it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Napoleon (2023) - An extremely expensive highlights reel of the life of Napoleon Bonaparte, played by Joaquin Phoenix. I didn’t hate this. It has impressive production values and is often fairly entertaining. Vanessa Kirby is pretty decent as Joséphine Bonaparte, which is handy as the film interprets the central narrative of Napoleon’s life as a love story between the two of them.

Joaquin Phoenix is only so-so as Napoleon, which is a major blow for the film. While you would perhaps expect moments of humour and absurdity in a real-life story like this, there is such an over-abundance of them in this film that they severely unbalance the overall tone. The script isn’t great and is often weak on a moment-to-moment level while also not pulling the overall film together into a great narrative.

I spent most of the film planning to give this three stars but I just ended by being fed up with it by the end. It does deserve the production nominations it picked up, but it’s telling it didn’t get much else and the central performance - the one so key to the whole thing - didn’t pick up a single one. ★★☆☆☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • g.man wrote:
    That Alien trailer is definitely grand, but I remain skeptical.

You watched Don't Breathe g?

Fede is an absolute don with tension. The trailer looked a bit CG at times but I am 110% down for it and I think Fede is the perfect director to make a scary and tense Alien film
  • And now I have to rewatch Freddy v Jason nice one bruv

It's alright, but it's no Jason X
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Thought I’d share this because I always find the differences between reality and ‘inspired by real events’ movies quite interesting.

I have this guy Scott as a connection on LinkedIn, from way way back when I did my internship and worked on some ad campaigns with the team at Nike. Back then he was the official Nike Historian - he literally ran a team at HQ whose job was to basically run an internal museum and archive. This is him having a rant about inaccuracy in the move Air.
    It was just about one year ago that I was invited to an advance screening of the movie "Air." Any hope I had for historical accuracy dribbled off the court in the first five minutes when "Howard White" and "Sonny Vaccaro" talked in 1984 about Nike's new ad slogan "Just Do It," which debuted in 1988.

That was just the tip of the "we're making shit up" iceberg as it turned out. Scene after scene was either created out of thin - ahem - air or was distorted from actual facts. Sonny went to visit the Jordans in North Carolina! [He didn't.] Sonny predicted exactly what the execs at adidas and Converse would say in their pitches to Jordan! [He didn't.] And it just kept getting worse, more egregious.

As the movie neared its climax, Sonny jumped in when the pitch meeting was falling apart and SAVED THE DAY! [He did not.] And then the scene where my head metaphorically exploded. Michaels' mother, Deloris, was the tough-as-nails, hardcore contract negotiator who demanded that Nike must give her son a percentage of sales of every Air Jordan. It's "unprecedented" she's told. It's "not possible." But ultimately Nike capitulates and history is made.

What was made was my blood pressure rise. Jordan's contract was negotiated by David Falk, his agent. Because that's what top agents do. Michael was given royalties on the sales of his shoe because that's what Nike had been doing for nearly a decade with other basketball players.

But "that's just literary license" I was told. "Hey, it's not a documentary," I was reminded over and over again. But the fact that the movie was marketed as "Inspired by true events" was a blaring red siren that apparently only I and my longtime Nike colleagues could see.

I'm reopening this scab tonight mainly because I was reading an article on Linkedin about Michael Jordan. In the comments section were dozens of posts about what a "master negotiator Deloris Jordan was" and "she negotiated the deal, she deserves credit for this" and "shout out to Momma Jordan."

So I'll make a deal here...I will remind myself that "hey, it's not a documentary" if people will remind themselves, "hey don't believe everything you see in a movie."

Gotta admit, I enjoyed the film. And having met Phil Knight a couple of times, I think Affleck played him pretty well, despite still basically showing up as himself. But basing the whole ending of the story around a thing that just didn’t ever happen is a bit off.
  • g.man wrote:
    That Alien trailer is definitely grand, but I remain skeptical.
    You watched Don't Breathe g? Fede is an absolute don with tension. The trailer looked a bit CG at times but I am 110% down for it and I think Fede is the perfect director to make a scary and tense Alien film
    I don't think Iv'e seen any of his films tbh. I haven't really done horror movies as a genre for a very long time. That being said, I watched this interview with him last night, and he certainly sounds like the right man for the job. Acquitted himself very well imo.
    *this is a good interview, and it's mercifully easy to ignore the two RLM Geek Squad buffoons that are hosting him, so worth a watch imo...
  • If you like podcasts I recommend listening to this interview with him. He has an interesting story of how he went from a short film on YouTube to being given the Evil Dead remake. He's a good storyteller too so you can see how he was able to charm his way to being in Hollywood whereas others might not have.

He hasn't made much but what he has made is really solid and shows he has a good eye and a great kind for thrillers and horror.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7448147-episode-12-don-t-breathe-evil-dead-director-fede-alvarez
  • Cheers Shabs. I'll defo have a listen to that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!