Gigs
  • On Friday, I get to see the Preston Hard Rock Trio performing together for the first time. This is like the Thrash Four, but just in Preston.
  • Anyone ever been to one of those All Tomorrow's Parties shindigs?  I was always liked the idea of going to see a gig in a Butlin's Holiday Camp.  But you know, with proper bands and such.

They always seem to host them in November time though (brrrrrrrrr) and even though this years is the last one evar- Beak> apart, line-up still seems a bit ropey.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Skerret went to one in Aus but I suppose that doesn't help you. Pretty sure Turts went to one back in the day too but he doesn't post anymore. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have any useful info for you.

Is anyone on here keen on coming to see Muse with me on Sunday the 26th of May? I haz spare ticket. It's at the Emirates stadium and has Dizzee Rascal supporting. Should be pretty awesome. I'll do the ticket for 40 squids.
  • I've always found the Muse a tad too theatrical for my tastes.  Someone take Shabby up on his offer though! I imagine they'd put on a damn fine show at the Emirates nonetheless like.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Anyone ever been to one of those All Tomorrow's Parties shindigs?

My mate has been to a couple in Minehead and refers to the one Mike Patton/The Melvins curated as one of the best things he's ever seen.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    I've always found the Muse a tad too theatrical for my tastes.  Someone take Shabby up on his offer though! I imagine they'd put on a damn fine show at the Emirates nonetheless like.

What he said.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You don't have to like Muse to enjoy them live.

The ATP I saw had MBV, Godspee, Drones, Swans, and the venue was fucking terrible.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Tonight I went to see MC Lars. The gig was fucking awesome, and was made even better by him bringing me on stage to do Signing Emo with him. One of the most amazing/terrifying things I've ever done.
  • So I'm off to this place tomorrow night for a John Peel sesh (Clinic headlining, naturally)

2305991888.jpg

@DilutedDante - you're a Preston lad, what's the Ferret like?
  • Pretty decent, if a little cramped when busy. My mates bands have played there a fair bit. Depending on where you are, a guitarist may get cut off by a pillar.

If you're around early I'll buy you a pint.
  • I'm off to see The Cult on Sunday with a friend. This is the second gig I've been to with this friend. The first was Smashing Pumpkins in 1993 at Southampton Guildhall.
  • Went to see Johnny Marr the other week, made me realise just how much I've always hated Smiths fans.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Portico Quartet gig a week monday. Not got tix and not got anyone deffo to go with. Doing it anyway, when I get tix ofc.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skondo wrote:
    I'm off to see The Cult on Sunday with a friend. This is the second gig I've been to with this friend. The first was Smashing Pumpkins in 1993 at Southampton Guildhall.

The Cult were pretty good. They played their Electric album in full (substituting the awful Born to be Wild cover with Zap City) and then played tracks from a number of their albums. They were a bit noisy, so I'm glad I took some ear plugs......I know, I know, but otherwise my tinnitus would be going nuts today. Highlights for me were Love Removal Machine and Rain. Unfortunately Astbury is still a cock.

• I'm going to see the Cult on the 31st Skondo. I think I can just about tolerate Mr Astbury's cockishness if they play well enough.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • The music was very good. There wasn't the usual macho posturing from the rest of the band, they just got on with it. Mr Astbury was the same as usual although it seemed to take a while for his vocals to warm up. His performance on Wild Flower was pretty poor.

We didn't bother with the Japanese support band (can't remember their name) and just caught the last track of their set. I'm not a rock music aficionado, but it just sounded like noise to me.

I felt slightly out of place as most people were in black, or had rock band t shirts on. There was me in my bright stripy polo shirt.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I love doing that! I wore a pink T at a Carcass gig this year.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I'm off to see Red Fang early next year.  My mate loves them, and since finding out that Chris Funk, multi-instrumentalist of Decemberists fame, produces their albums (and plays on one of the tracks on their new one), I've decided to give them a go.  Apparently they've been great each of the three times he's seen them. 

I've also got Jason Isbell tickets for November, whose recent album is my favourite of the year so far.
  • On the way home from a Driveby Truckers gig (crap name, always great live). In a rare example of celeibrity spotting by me, I saw Stewart Lee getting collared for a photo with someone's kids as he returned from the loo. If the camera adds 10lbs he's really let himself go since the recent series of Comedy Vehicle. I think he was quite pissed, because instead of saying "have a good night", like it sounded like he wanted to say, he just sort of raised his arm like he was toasting something and said "good night" before shuffling off. It was a good night.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Engorged with quail's livers and roasted gay space mice, perks of his recent success.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Quinn the Eskimo's let himself go.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Who knew we had a gigs thread? Anyway, I'm off to see S Carey next week. Only got into his stuff recently thanks to a mention by Face in the music thread but it's proved to be a good common ground with the new lady which is a bonus.

I'm massively excited to see Quicksand next month too. One of those bands I never thought I'd have the chance to see live so was surprised to hear they were playing in London.

@Moot How did you get on at that Red Fang gig? Liked that track you posted so will check them out.
  • Cosby wrote:
    @Moot How did you get on at that Red Fang gig? Liked that track you posted so will check them out.

They were solid, but we stayed in the pub for far too long and missed the first 10 minutes of a very bief (45-50mins) set before they made way for a disco. Extra points for the bassist possibly owning a free bus pass, and the fact that they just attacked their setlist like their lives depended on getting top marks for effort. Not my favourite Portlandians, but I'd definitely pay to see them again.
  • Just got back from Southport Weekender number 50 in Minehead. Suffice to say, it was one of the most euphoric, downright awesome weekends of my life. I fucking love it.
  • Thread resurrection! Yellowcard and Less Than Jake motherfuckers.

I am excite.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I seen 65dos on Sunday, they were grrrreat.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Anyone ever been to one of those All Tomorrow's Parties shindigs?  I was always liked the idea of going to see a gig in a Butlin's Holiday Camp.  But you know, with proper bands and such.

They always seem to host them in November time though (brrrrrrrrr) and even though this years is the last one evar- Beak> apart, line-up still seems a bit ropey.

I was at Minehead in 2007 for the Portishead curated one - saw Thurston Moore, Portishead, Aphex Twin, Sunn O)))), Malcolm Middleton and a bunch others but I was drunk.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I went to an ATP dealie in 2012 curated by The Drones.  Godspeed, MBV and Swans the highlights.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Would cut a man to see Swans

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!