Stuff for "Creatives" and whatnot..
  • pantyfire wrote:
    InDesign is about as intuitive as you are going to get.
    I.e. Create a box, place text or image in that box, create a custom shaped box etc...

A lot of infographics might be produced in Illustrator but if you are finding InDesign counter intuitive you will not find illustrator easier.

Intuitive probably wasn't the right phrase. I imagine it is easier to manipulate objects in illustrator and then import them into indesign?

Go to pootoob and look up bezier tool (pen tool) and how to use it and manipulate/delete anchor points. Using the direct select pointer it behaves exactly the same way between Illustrator and InDesign.
    The only thing that would be easier in illustrator is things like speech bubble shapes (et al) as they are custom shapes that you can just stamp out at will.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I have always found there is a bit more of a barrier to entry in Illustrator than most other Adobe stuff. I started getting a grip on it a while back but didn't keep it up (probably part of the problem).

Once over that hurdle it will certainly be a lot easier to make more complex things in illustrator than indesign.

Like I say, Indesign is really a layout tool, I use it to compile renders with titles and annotation, or if I am feeling generous I will do the ground work for the artworkers when making a graphic for a visual, rather than bodging it in PS.

Have you any examples of what you are working on that you would be happy to share?
  • I always see illustrator as a programners approach to making graphics. It probably makes complete sense to a programmer but creative people don't tend to think in the same way so you might struggle, you might not... 
    Again, with proper use and manipulation of the bezier took you should be able to do what you want in in InDesign. 
    Then tool about with the 'pathfinder' options (WINDOW>PATHFINDER), to meld or dissect two or more  overlapping shapes to create a third.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • three1ne wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Just completed a contract for a major mobile provider. Confirmed my worst fears - tech companies are the 4th circle of hell.

Care to tell some stories?

maxresdefault.jpg

So, yeah, Huawei. Chinese company with different guidelines depending on region, but everything has to be run through China. Which has different guidelines. Also they're terrified of making a decision because Hierarchy. And they don't u derstand that they have different guidelines by territory.

I wanted to die.

This month: a new website for a burger emporium that think it's "wacky" and "quirky".

Help. Me.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Please.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I'll have a word with THE BIG MAN.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Goober, you almost certainly need to be learning Illustrator.

Think of the software this way:

Photoshop for manipulating photos.
    Illustrator for drawing shapes.
    InDesign for arranging text and images on pages.

Using the right tool for the right job makes your life a million times easier.
  • Jaco wrote:
    three1ne wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Just completed a contract for a major mobile provider. Confirmed my worst fears - tech companies are the 4th circle of hell.

Care to tell some stories?

maxresdefault.jpg

So, yeah, Huawei. Chinese company with different guidelines depending on region, but everything has to be run through China. Which has different guidelines. Also they're terrified of making a decision because Hierarchy. And they don't u derstand that they have different guidelines by territory.

I wanted to die.

This month: a new website for a burger emporium that think it's "wacky" and "quirky".

Help. Me.

Yar, getting decisions made in Chinese companies is near impossible a lot of the time.
  • g.man wrote:
    I'll have a word with THE BIG MAN.

What's the problem?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Im not a photographer but if I was I'd buy this.

https://www.upkeepyoga.com/products/portable-led-studio-photo-box
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Irony to the max lol
  • God I hate people who expect stuff for free or on the cheap.
    They end up getting some chimp to do it then hire a proffesional "just to touch it up a bit".
  • After a bit of research I have found that there are roughly 1.2 billion recruitment agencies for the design industry in London and exactly one covering Scotland.

I should maybe consider ditching design as a career and starting up a creative recruitment agency up here instead.
  • Eventually everyone living in London will be a recruiter or an estate agent.
  • We’re overrun with early-retired London estate agents up here. They all know it would be madness to stay down there and try to buy anything.
  • poprock wrote:
    Goober, you almost certainly need to be learning Illustrator. Think of the software this way: Photoshop for manipulating photos. Illustrator for drawing shapes. InDesign for arranging text and images on pages. Using the right tool for the right job makes your life a million times easier.

This. 

Also, there's a tool in Illustrator for creating charts: input your data into the fields and it'll give you a rudimentary monochrome scatter chart / pie chart / bar chart / whatever. Once the data is in and displaying correctly you then go through the elements and style it. 

For tables, InDesign is the way to go. It's a clunky interface but will work well once everything is set up; style sheets, etc. 

Regarding software tools: Sketch App is the feckin' business for web design. I'll never use Photoshop or Illustrator again for that!
  • Didn't know you could do the chart stuff in illustrator, will be handy that.

I do a fair bit of chart stuff for motion graphic movies but should be easy enough to cross work between illustrator and after effects.
  • Yeah, it's one of the things in the main toolkit – look down the end for the graph icon.

After Effects is a cracking piece of software. Hadn't gone near it in years but I use it now and then in this job, mostly for straightforward 2d animation. I'm amazed at what it's capable of now. And Google makes it so easy to learn anything...
  • Yeah I really enjoy it.
    Potentially got a bit of work on using a plugin for it called Plexus, had a play and it's awesome.
    Does this kind of stuff.

Z7Z4h0.gif
  • Plexus is amazing. There are many plugins that I dabble in but very rarely have the time to master.

I've been using After Effects for just over 8 years now, and I am still learning new things all of the time. 

Its an incredibly powerful and diverse piece of kit.
  • Don't know that one – we have the Red Giant Trapcode plugin. That looks a bit like the Mir effect. 

I was taking a look at some C4D last year but decided that it was waaaay too deep to be getting into. I've enough on my plate and heading into 3D land would spread me far too thin. It's still amazing, though. Compare the work that's out there now with the work being done ten years ago and it's an evolutionary leap. 

I regularly check motionographer.com for inspiration and to cry into my morning coffee over my wasted 20s.
  • Yeah I have only scratched the surface of AE really, my clients rarely want or will pay for anything overly complex, I end up using it more to present 3D animation stuff, almost like a moving indesign or powerpoint.

Yeah 3D is a whole other discipline, C4D is definitely the most user friendly of the packages I have used mind. Adobe will own it eventually, so many design studios are picking it up since it has been tied in with AE. I had a recruiter in the phone the other day saying she can't find 3DS Max users in the design field now.
  • Yeh Plexus looks a little like Mir, but its massively different in terms of its flexibility. My absolute favourite AE plugin is Newton (real-world 2d physics) and of course Element 3d. 

I too have dabbled in C4D for a couple of projects a few years ago and would certainly agree with Live in terms of its accessibility compared to other 3d packages. But, again, its absolutely massive, tons of plugins too (Greyscalegorilla plugins being essential). The thing that frustrates me most about 3d is render/preview times. While Element 3d has its restrictions, its SUPER fast and it works in software I'm comfortable with. 

Strangely I haven't yet dabbled in C4D (lite) within AE, I have no real idea how that compares in terms of output speed and general performance.
  • Yeah Element is great and so far I have found the C4D integration is more powerful but a lot less immediate.

In terms of preview in 3D a big part of it is experience. You get to know your settings (which can be seemingly very abstract at times).
    I always say there are three stages to getting to a professional level in 3D.
    1. Make something
    2. Make something that looks good
    3. Make something that looks good and can actually result in a render in a reasonable amount of time.

The first two can be achieved in a matter of hours, the third takes a lot longer.
  • After nearly 9 years in my 'day job' I'm finally leaving the agency I work for to work on contract / freelance projects - put a small persona site together as an overview of the projects I've worked on and an outline of my experience etc --

danclarke.co
  • Nice one Dan.
    It was the best move I ever made.
    Hope it works out as well for yourself.
  • Good luck to you Dan!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That link is just a link to the post on the forum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!