Super Mario Super Thread
  • davyK wrote:
    GC was a mixed bag. 

There was Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, and Luigi's Mansion as new IP

Mario Golf and Tennis were "just" updates to the N64 games but they are rock solid. 
    Double Dash is underrated. Melee was very good. Animal Crossing moved up a notch.

Windwaker split opinion and the 1080 and Waverace updates didn't get any real love but they are solid , polished games.

There was experimentation - Donkey Konga and the GBA linkup features inc Pacman Vs and Zelda Four Swords.

Mario Party 4 & 5 were solid but it started to lose focus with 6 & 7.

F Zero and Metroid got great updates albeit farmed out. I really liked the WarioWare update from GBA too.

But overall it does feel like a workmanlike Nintendo era. It was a safe pair of hands more than anything.

timesplitters 2 and Capcom vs SnK 2 weren’t Nintendo it were top tier for that console
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Resi 4 and Viewtiful Joe mean I’ll never forget.
  • Monkey Ball was Gamecube for me. There were good handful of other games I enjoyed, but SMB was my 'purchase justified' game. Wish I'd finished Viewtiful Joe but I flitted between all sorts back then rather than completing what I'd bought. Didn't get through Resi 4 either. Or Metroid Prime.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    GameCube was such a great machine

Metroid Prime
    Resi 4
    Mario Sunshine (cough)
    Zelda Wind Walker
    P.N.03
    Viewtiful Joe
    Rogue Squadron
    Super Monkey Ball
    Twilight Princess
    Killer 7
    Animal Crossing

May have to dig it back out.

• Don’t forget Paper Mario Thousand Year Door!

GameCube was absolutely brilliant.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Four Swords Adventures
    Baten Kaitos
    Tales of Symphonia
    Skies of Arcadia
    Resi 0
    Resi Remake
    MGS Twin Snakes

I’m sure there are plenty more.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Skies of Arcadia!

Only bought MGS because people raved about it. Never played more than 5 minutes.
  • Were the Resi and MGS remakes among the first full remasters of 3D games?
  • Good shout. The closest other one I can think of is Mario 64 ds but that released about 4 months after twin snakes.
  • Rogue squadron GCN had the N64 levels I think.
  • There were some DC ports but I wouldnt really call them remasters.
  • More like downgrades in most cases. #DC4EVA
  • Virtua Racing Deluxe though, sort of.
  • And Virtua Fighter Remix actually.
  • Got my GC on launch day with Wave Race (which wasn't as good as WR64 but still a great game). Monkey Ball became an all time uni favourite. Resi4 was a straight 10/10, and TS2 and SC2 became mainstays also. Great days.
  • ooh, ooh.
    Tony Hawk's X2 was Nov 2001.
    Not as big a remaster as Resi or MGS but did have newly built geometry and textures.
  • SoulCalibur 2 was the best in the series and GC had the best version. :)
  • Xbox was definitely the best version.
    Link was shit.
    Tekken bloke didn't fit the game.
    Spawn was excellent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Twilight Princess was an actual GC game wasn't it? The Wii version was only a port? Can't remember. So it got a traditional Zelda and the experimental WindWaker - not to mention the Four Swords.

Gamecube was what a lot critics wanted - a powerful, more conventional console (albeit with that disc format which was probably more about anti-piracy than a creative or engineering decision). It had new IPs that didn't sell. People moaned about not getting new stuff but any time anyone came up with something new it didn't sell.

It also gave us Wavebird. It felt like sorcery at the time.

It got decent third party support. Losing Rare didn't help though but Sega filled that gap with interest. 

I think they looked at what happened with that mainstream approach and went back to their more off piste thing.

I have 3 of them. Two of them with the network adaptor (LAN mode 1080 and DD using a crossover cable) and a Japanese one.  Have 2 perma-setup in my den.

Bit of a fan of the console.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The wii version of twilight was the first version of the game. The GameCube one got released later

Of course it’s scam accounting bullshit to say it was “originally a Wii game” But given the Wii was basically a GameCube in a lot of ways I think it’s tricky to call it a “port”.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The wii version of twilight was the first version of the game.

Ah right - didn't know that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GC didn't really get a nice straight up racer though. MKDD and F-Zero GX were great but I can't really think of a nice more Sega Rally / Daytona kind of thing.

It got Burnout 2 which was accomplished but it didn't hit the spot for me. Got Need for Speed games too - OK but pretty run-of-the-mill.

Namco did R:Racing for it (and it came with Pacman Vs on a bonus disc) which looks pretty but is dull as ditchwater.

Not that it's a genre a play much but versus fighters didn't get much attention either. It got a Capcom v SNK with kids, "EO" controls but can't think of anything else. The controller was ropey for that genre but I'm not convinced the PS2 d-pad was suitable either as it's a load of old shit.
  • They really should release Monkey Ball again. SMB2 was such a disappointment because they threw out the linear progression.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • My memory is that Twilight Princess was a GC game. It had been delayed and then Nintendo, being the consumer friendly lot they are, delayed it even more as they chose it to be a launch game for the about to be released Wii. Then with stock shortages, GC'ers had to wait even longer.
  • Yep, it was a GC that they delayed so that the Wii port got released first.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    All this writing about the game cube and no mention of Odama smdh
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Played all 3 of the Mario 3D collection yesterday, on a rare afternoon off, never played Sunshine before, but enjoyed what I’ve played so far. Mario 64 is showing its age, but still a remarkable game for its time.

Galaxy I previously played on Wii, looks glorious on my big telly, looking buttery smooth. I forgot how fast the transitions from place to place are.

All put a big smile on my face, all I could ask for.
    Things can only get better.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    All this writing about the game cube and no mention of Billy Hatcher smdh

• regmcfly wrote:
    All this writing about the game cube and no mention of Eternal Darkness smdh
    Spoiler:

• I think GameCube era Nintendo deserved to be in the doldrums.
    Definitely. I've never got the GCN love.
    It had a handle!
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!