Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    All this writing about the game cube and no mention of Odama smdh

Odama has sat on my shelf since I bought it several years ago. I have yet to boot it up.....really need to do that.

Beach Spikers is an exclusive too - an arcade port a of girl beach volleyball game.

Namco Baseball All stars is a swish game too - beautifully presented late in the GC's life - it makes the console sing.

GC also saw the first brutal Mario Football game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm sure Odyssey is great but Galaxy was such a monumental leap in the genre - as much as M64 was . A miraculous work.   Galaxy 2 is probably "better" but really it's an expansion pack.  Galaxy restored my faith in Nintendo.

Galaxy is tops. The rest don't matter a jot.  But 64 is my personal next favourite and I rank it alongside Super Mario World.

SMW is really only a refinement of the magnificent SMB3 but it's still the better game. The pinnacle of the genre in 2D.
  • Galaxy 2 is a marvel.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Apart from aiming fludd about, really enjoying the charms of Sunshine once again.
  • Oh shit yeah, my mate at uni bought Beach Spikers in a lol boobs way, but we got pretty damn hooked. Nice Sega arcade volleyball.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm sure Odyssey is great but Galaxy was such a monumental leap in the genre - as much as M64 was . A miraculous work.   Galaxy 2 is probably "better" but really it's an expansion pack.  Galaxy restored my faith in Nintendo.

Galaxy is tops. The rest don't matter a jot.  But 64 is my personal next favourite and I rank it alongside Super Mario World.

SMW is really only a refinement of the magnificent SMB3 but it's still the better game. The pinnacle of the genre in 2D.

This is pretty much spot on.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I would like to add that Odyssey is indeed great and you should definitely play it @davyK

In fact your a bit spoilt for choice as the upcoming 3D World and the terribly named New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe are also both superb.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    They're all unmissable after Galaxy IMO (although 64's only crime is that it's dated really).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Had a dabble on all three games. The muscle memory is strong on 64, felt like I’d never been away. I think my n64 cart had all 4 save slots with 120 stars on, I probably hoped there’d be some secret if you managed that.

Sunshine feels like Nintendo’s awkward teenage years, loads of ideas and no direction. Controls don’t feel very responsive either.

Galaxy is still amaze.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm sure Odyssey is great but Galaxy was such a monumental leap in the genre - as much as M64 was . A miraculous work.   Galaxy 2 is probably "better" but really it's an expansion pack.  Galaxy restored my faith in Nintendo. Galaxy is tops. The rest don't matter a jot.  But 64 is my personal next favourite and I rank it alongside Super Mario World. SMW is really only a refinement of the magnificent SMB3 but it's still the better game. The pinnacle of the genre in 2D.
    This is pretty much spot on.

Agree 100%
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kids played SM64 for a while. They didn’t get a single star. 

I guess they’re just used to stars/moons being handed to them easily on Odyssey.
  • Trying not to have a tantrum with Sunshine and plow on. Just yer usual Mario game making you feel an idiot for not doing the simplest of jumps right. Don't think I ever got that far in my multiple attempts over the years, and I think I've just unlocked an area I've never done before.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Me - this fucking collection is the worst cash grab of all time and I feel guilty buying it.

Also me - 80 stars down in Mario 64 come at me.
  • You want me to come at you?
  • Going into 64 with zero nostalgia and 6 months of mucking around with Odyssey with the sprog. Hot take - it’s pretty stiff and frustrating really. Playing through it with the kid so this will take some time. I’m currently in the ‘should have done a remake’ camp. Seems like a perfectly solid design but Mario’s movement and the camera are sucking a fair bit of the fun out of it. I’m not here to tell you how genius some it clearly was back in 96, because you all know that.

Daughters alternative hot take - “This is so cool.”
  • Yeah controls feel so last century.
  • Mario Sunshine feels like they spent all of their time getting sexy effects to work. Does Mario need to turn into a hundred bubbles when he enters an area? Do we need real time clean up patches? Reflections? Water? It’s all very very indulgent but the problem is they didn’t even check that if you do a quick step from left to right that moving a giant leap (Instead of a sharp pivot) feels fucking disgusting. Who needs a working camera when we have wibbly wobbly haze effect!!!

They either forgot every pillar they laid down for Mario 64 or they just decided whatever they did re: the basics it’d be fine so let’s spend time on graphics and voice over and plot.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sunshine is best in those floating assault course levels but I just couldn't be bothered with it after a while. I just didn't want to go back to it.

I like the genre but my palate is jaded. It takes the best Nintendo can offer to keep me engaged.
  • I was playing the first one you can get (cave secret in Blanco) and I slipped off the blocks so often, couldn’t read the perspective on the moving blocks. I know I’m better than that at Mario. As a contrast there’s a much better version of that level which is the first biscuit one in galaxy. There’s an illustrative difference in that both have a one-up to cater for people who are shit at the game - one has the one up directly in the path, the other needs three buttstomps to get it - a trivial act that’s just labourious.
  • Those floating assault course levels + switch analogue sticks = small, manageable yikes, btw.

In my use, anyway.
  • Mario 64 on first impressions it hasn’t really held up has it? The camera is shocking
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly wrote:
    All this writing about the game cube and no mention of Odama smdh

Bongo compatible.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly wrote:

This list is correct except Odyssey should be 3, putting the Galaxies up one place each. But otherwise it’s bang on for me.

That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    3D Land getting done absolute durties.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Lets do it!

1. Galaxy 2
    2. Galaxy
    3. 64
    4. Odyssey
    5. 3D World
    6. 3D Land
    7. Sunshine
    8. 64 DS
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 1. 3D World
    2. Odyssey
    3. Galaxy 2
    4. Galaxy
    5. 3D Land
    6. 64
    7. Sunshine
    8. 64DS. Not that I've played it (or think it should be on the list).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1. Mario 64
    2. Mario Galaxy
    3. Mario 3D World
    4. Mario Galaxy 2
    5. Sunshine
    6. 3D Land

Mayber. Not played Odyssey.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Odyssey is the only Mario game I've enjoyed.
  • I've only played 64 and Galaxy on that list and I bounced off Galaxy pretty quickly, found it lacked challenge. I reckon I'd enjoy it more if I played it today.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!