Same room multi-player - a call to arms.
  • Bomberman, Micromachines, Circuit Breakers, Rock N Roll Racing.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I wasn't keen on the fact that Outland had no split screen co-op, as I bought it for same room game nights. Online only, so it's never been played. Looks great too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Outland is great, but you couldn't split the screen as the bullet hell lite enemies would be fucking you over from off the screen.

I got Zak and Wiki by the way Moot, cheers mate. Not had a chance to play it yet though.
  • I meant to say same screen co-op, but I'm just assuming your characters don't stray too far apart anyway.

Hope you enjoy Z&W, it was on my GOTG shortlist.  One of only three or four videogames my wife has played with me (Heavy Rain, Walking Dead Episode 1, Rayman Origins until she got pissed off with being shit...I think that's it).  We both loved it.
  • You should come along to the next Halo Lan night Davy!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Nidhogg, people. It comes.

Hadn't heard of this - looks like a sport - love the controller.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's been in the works for literal years, doing a bunch of one-off plays at US festivals and meets and that. I got a go on it via a pal eventually but the actual release looks nicely tarted up.

Probably the most vital format-upsetter since Bushido Blade (or Smash I suppose). I hope it goes the distance i.e. to pro tournaments. At any rate, amma gon lol some when someone does framedata for it.
  • There are some nice little facebook communities set up for hosting region based games afternoons on 3DS which is lovely. I'll probably go one of these days, although from the photo's the attendees are young and have rad haircuts.

I went round a friends for a games night and the newer stuff for 4 players just isn't there. NSMBU is a mess and Nintendo Land just isn't fun. It favours the experienced player (usually the owner) and doesn't have the immediacy of say Wii Sports or the fucking incredible Wario Ware Party Games, possibly the greatest MP experience I've had.

It's nice Nintendo are trying to keep local MP dream alive but the offerings are poor. Also attempted were Nanostray and Rayman, both were dull.

I had some marvelous times on No Mercy, 4 Swords, Wario Ware, TimeSplitters and Worms 3D.

I suppose its the direction everything has gone since Wii. Most local MP games these days are a throwaway mini-game shit fest or something where you have to act like a twat.
  • I remember reading about DS Dragon Quest street shenanigans in Japan. Apparently there is (or was) dedicated areas cordoned off, for people to do local ad-hoc MP. Or maybe it was Monster Hunter or summat. Sounds awesome anyway.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had a bit of a same-room multiplayer session last night; Trials Evo, Geometry Wars 2 and Bomberman all went down a treat. We also had a go at Scott Pilgrim which showed one of the issues that you have with game design these days working against same room MP. It should be a perfect game for MP with four players working together and everyone on screen at the same time plus simple controls, and we did have good fun. The issue is caused by the levelling system. Playing it for the first time with friends is fine as everyone starts at level one with a very limited move set. If I play it a few more times with a few more friends, I end up starting with a far more capable character than any of them have and suddenly it seems far less appealing to share with people. Castle Crashers did the exact same thing.

I think it all comes down to accounts on the 360 which is a great idea if you have more than one person in a household that enjoys playing videogames, but it also silos everything off so that you can't let others use the things you've unlocked. It used to be that if I'd unlocked something, all my friends could use it and have fun with it. Not any more.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I have no friends and don't live in a built-up area so I find local-only features like local-only multiplayer in Nintendo stuff and StreetPass a bit of a shit. Nintendo keep saying stuff like 'ooh, we want to preserve the experience of people playing together' but if local multiplayer is as self-evidently superior as people in here are saying then surely it'll preserve itself. I'd like to have the option of using functions instead of being barred from them.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Scott Pilgrim is an overlooked gem.  I preferred it to Castle Crashers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

So far, as per the office gaming tourney thread, these have proven a success as 2 player versus:

Tetris (SNES, first to 25 lines , garbage on)
    Virtua Tennis 2* (Dreamcast)
    Typing of the Dead (Dreamcast)
    Tap Runner* (Wii)
    Super Monkey Ball (Gamecube, challenge mode, split screen)
    Combat (Atari 2600, Tank Pong)
    Streetfighter 2 Turbo (SNES)

* have proven great as 4 player vs too.

Quite a few Sega titles there.....

This year I am considering : Bishi Bashi, Donkey Konga, Surround, Bust-a-Move, Mario Tennis, Bomberman.
  • Can't beat a bit of Bishi Bashi.
  • RE: office tourney - didn't Winter Heat add multitap compatibility?  I only played it briefly, but it seemed very good.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I can remember tips and tricks that seemed to just become common knowledge - the photo finish bonus in track & field, ufo hunting in Asteroids - they became known without any need for the world wide web. Social gaming.
    Does anyone remember a rumour about Chun Li being able to take her bracelet off and throw it as a one-use fireball? Whoever made that up was a wind-up genius; plenty of pocket money was spent in chip shops trying to trigger it.
    Probably the same guy who said that Lei from Tekken 2 could use his gun.
  • Dogfingers wrote:

I had some marvelous times on No Mercy, 4 Swords, Wario Ware, TimeSplitters and Worms 3D.

All the AKI N64 wrestling games were amazing. Those along with Track & Field and ISS98 were amazing multiplayer games.

Track & Field in 4 player is unbeatable on the 64, the pad is perfect for it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    RE: office tourney - didn't Winter Heat add multitap compatibility?  I only played it briefly, but it seemed very good.

It did indeed - I may consider running that if we coincide with the Winter Olympics.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can't beat a bit of Bishi Bashi.
    True, but I never played it sober. I assume that makes a difference.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Athlete Kings on Saturn was solid - it actually still looks decent (to my old retro head at any rate).
    Athlete%20Kings.jpgGS-9096_16,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-16-DecAthlete-JPN.jpg

athletekings3.jpg
  • The high res character models of VF2/AK have aged better than those of, say, Vipers or Megamix with light sourcing.
  • I miss single-player multi-player. It was fairly popular back in the day. It generally involved persuading someone to buy an SNES at launch, and then everyone taking turns at SMW until it was done in one sitting.
  • thanks @brooks for the reminder about nidhogg, i'd forgot about it but it does look great and it's out next week!

i know i kept banging on about it in the pc threads, but 'speedrunners' is about as close to 'local mp' levels of fun i've had while playing online - it even supports two 'local' players playing online against another 2 to make up the four players.  it probably helps that everyone plays on the 'same screen' whether they're online or not, and it's fast paced and 'madcap' so everyone stays interested and involved
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • DID SOMEONE SAY SAME ROOM MULTIPLAYER!? THERE IS NO GREATER SPECTACLE FOR ONLOOKERS AND PARTICIPANTS ALIKE THAN TO ENGAGE IN PUNCHING EACH OTHER IN THE VIRTUAL FUCK.

Source:

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Rousin marks his territory with t'case.

Ronald's camp applause at 1:30.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Any good XBOX 360 games with local multi-player? I picked up Streetfighter IV cheap but wondering what else is available...

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How many players?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, come to think of it I've listed a few at the top of the page. Also, I'd add to that list a couple of others such as Worms and Halo 3 (the later ones only support two players I believe). Some people also rate Castle Crashers, but if it's four player beat 'em up action you're after, I'd go for Scott Pilgrim instead. Two-player and Streets of Rage 2 is still the pinnacle of the genre.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, SoR 3 is pretty great as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    QUAD POST!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!