Same room multi-player - a call to arms.
  • Nidhogg IS great.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spread the word.

I'm trying to think EDIT: conceive of a game that uses modern - high resolution displays, motion plus for control, used with some sort of trimmed down gameplay that works on a single screen and can be enjoyed by spectators. Needs to be 2 player versus.

It needs to be so that it can never be truly mastered. Think about snooker on TV - you can see everying on the TV at once - the skills required are kinetic  - each gen throws up better players despite its apparant simplicity - it's not far away from a video game really - yet gets viewing figures.

It needs to something unique but - not pretending to be something else - something that could only work in a digital realm. Tough.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sounds like a 'Who am I' question from Going for Gold that Henry Kelly.

Mario Chase from Nintendo Land on the Wii U is the only game I can think of. However that fails on a few levels the first being that you cant see everything on the same screen at once and it doesn't use motion plus.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wouldn't have to be M+ but the input needs to be analogue or an approximation of it that M+ and Move are - it has to be such that it feels like requiring a physical skill to play well.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We've got a comp coming up at work. Game(s) TBD (I'm not organising thank goodness), but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out...

Sadly FPS seems to be the most popular genre as voted by those competing :-(
  • Davy have you seen Johan Sebastian Joust? Fits all your criteria except being on a.screen!
  • Nidhogg got a lot of play in our office a while back, didn't actually check it out myself yet but keep meaning to. Haven't seen that many ppl round a single game shouting, laughing, whooping in a long time. Was like a mini EVO. There was another with 2 swordfish or dolphins fighting, but I forget the name.

We got a fair amount of play from Hidden in Plain Sight on xbl Indies a while back, certainly enough to justify the 69p or whatever price. There are a bunch of games on there but the only one that matters is the sniper one: 2 players have a crosshair and 3 bullets, 2 players have to avoid being detected by acting like AI and blending in, infinite other players shout from the sidelines, "He's there! He's there! Next to the skeleton!" BAM "oh no, sorry that wasn't him". All in a top down, smash tv style view, single screen. Best enjoyed with lots of beer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Office gaming league hasn't got off the ground this year - too much happening in work (for me at least). However this could give me the impetus to get it going again:

http://www.meetup.com/Tetris30/

2 player Tetris if played as a race (first to 25 or 40 lines) with garbage attacks on is a great game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    We've got a comp coming up at work. Game(s) TBD (I'm not organising thank goodness), but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out... Sadly FPS seems to be the most popular genre as voted by those competing :-(

Unfortunately, people who don't think it about it enough believe it will be more fun than it actually will be.

You need spectator interaction and that genre just doesn't support it. Plus it's a pain in the arse to set up in a proper tourney environment.

At least you are getting something going. Maybe have a fringe support game of your choice - it will outshine the FPS games in terms of entertainment and then they will get the message if they have a modicum of open-mindedness to try it.

Virtua Tennis, Tetris and Tap Runner have been the biggest hits in my events (and those come with 4 player modes which can be good for group qualifying).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Davy have you seen Johan Sebastian Joust? Fits all your criteria except being on a.screen!

Bringing physicality to gaming is an important way of expanding interest in it - good example.
  • FPS can be spectator friendly. Not in an office environment though I wouldn't have thought.
    GT: Knight640
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not convinced of that.You can't "see everything at once" with an FPS. For those who are into them I can see it working but if you want to get casuals or uninitiated people involved they aren't the best type of game to use.

It would take a bit of effort to set one up for watching. Depends on the match ups and how many you would involve at any one time. A 2 player match in a small tight level might work but there are too many opportunities for kills to be made that can't be followed the way scores in a same screen game can be.

One game I would try it with would be Outtrigger with it's small tight arenas and arcade sensibilities (it was a network arcade cabinet game with trakball and joystick control) but sadly the DC PAL version dropped network options and is split screen only. A two player split screen game might work but I aim to avoid any split screen game. The only one I have tried was Super Monkey Ball in 2 player competition mode which worked OK but I can't see me going further than that.

Something else I would toy with would be a racing game with linkup mode but again - a pain to set up because of the need for a second screen (in my case projector and screen). But racing games require knowledge of tracks and once someone gets a lead are boring to watch so its unlikely to be worth the effort.

I'm afraid there aren't that many games that are suitable and its why uninitiated people find many games have accessibility problems. Back to my original post.
  • You never miss any kills in Quake Live 1vs1 (which is what QL is played in). Counter strike works great as a watching experience, which is why so many people are still watching an OLD game. I used to love watching mates play goldeneye when the 4 controllers were all in use. As to why the office environment might not work I do think there's a good argument to be made for needing competent players and spectators who understand something of the game.
  • In a game like American football you can't watch everything that's happening but the tv people make sure you're watching what is most important. It's the same in a 5v5 game of counter strike or 4v4 Halo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No doubt - with FPS-competent people it isn't an issue. I'm using my office tourneys to try and get some more people involved so it's why I avoid those games.

Thinking about it , the only game I have used so far that actually has a shooting mechanic was the Tank game I used on the old Atari 2600. Too many people equate video gaming with shooting things and it is divisive.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    In a game like American football you can't watch everything that's happening but the tv people make sure you're watching what is most important. It's the same in a 5v5 game of counter strike or 4v4 Halo.

Requiring a broadcast editor is a barrier to entry when dealing with people you are trying to engage with.
  • I run a games night fairly often at work, we had a CS setup last time, a good 6 - 8 played but no one hung around to spectate more than a minute to see what was going on. SF, Kinect, trials mp & windjammers always get a large crowd.

I can spectate a shooter if I'm into it, like halo or gears back in the day, but I have to agree with Davy, for the majority they're just not interesting. Board games get a larger crowd, we had screwball scramble a while back and the place was jumping.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Windjammers ..... good choice. Ever tried Warlords? Have been toying with that one. Four player too.
  • It really fucking is! No need to use more than just one button really, excellent fast gameplay yet so simple even the non gamey ppl get really into it. Quick turnaround games to boot. We've got a cab with hundreds of games on it but WJ (jap name: Flying Power Disc!!, just say what ya see eh?) gets a vast amount of the play time, or did until people started digging sf alpha.

It would honestly make my top 10 mp/party games ever list, maybe even top 5.
  • Puzzle Bobble, S.puzzle fighter, mean bean and similar all tend to get a crowd ooo'ing and ahh'ing too. Again, fast turnarounds (essential at these things I find, no one wants to wait 15 mins for a FIFA or halo game to end), simple to grasp and very compelling to watch for all levels of gamesy people.
  • davyK wrote:
    Windjammers ..... good choice. Ever tried Warlords? Have been toying with that one. Four player too.

Didn't see the warlords question (sneaky edit?) - guessing it's this? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlords_(1980_video_game)

Sounds good! I'll certainly see if we have it, although would it play with a traditional sticks & buttons setup? Wiki says it uses spinners.
  • Warioware is a fucking riot of a game. May need some gaming intuition to understand what to do though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - it's paddle/spinner control so not easy to get going. Requires an Atari 2600 or one of the Flashback consoles and requisite controllers which are wired as pairs. 

The Atari got an official release in 1981 and a vastly superior recent (2006) homebrew version called Medieval Mayhem. Think there's an XBL version but I can't imagine how the control would be. There is no substitute for a paddle - might be worth a look though.
  • Cool, I've got a 2600 and two paddles, I think... don't have the game though, which could be a setback :/

Good shout on wario ware Livvers, couple of the boys have had that going before.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Puzzle Bobble, S.puzzle fighter, mean bean and similar all tend to get a crowd ooo'ing and ahh'ing too. Again, fast turnarounds (essential at these things I find, no one wants to wait 15 mins for a FIFA or halo game to end), simple to grasp and very compelling to watch for all levels of gamesy people.

Spot on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Cool, I've got a 2600 and two paddles, I think... don't have the game though, which could be a setback :/ Good shout on wario ware Livvers, couple of the boys have had that going before.

Game can be got for next to nothing - a pound or two off eBay would sort that out. Really need 4 paddles/ 2 pairs for 4 player mode as the AI is moronic. There is a doubles game version on the cartridge that lets you control 2 castles at once which offers a decent option for a 2 player game though.
  • Wicked, I may pitch a dedicated retro night and grab the cart, not sure a 2600 would pull anyone away from the 'cade or big tv tbh, but pitched as an Atari - NES night it may be different.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you can get a projector and the 2600 going through that (or on the big TV) that would help. I got mine going by using a VCR to convert the signal to composite which would be good enough.

I might have a look at the XBL version - would be easier to get setup. It looks good - not sure how the control would hold up though..

There's a non Atari version too...

• So basically we were never disagreein Davy :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!