The hiding from an alien in a locker thread
  • Don't,you'll hate it! ;)
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Quick early question: is there a way of equipping nothing? 

The onscreen flare (which I've accidently used twice) is distracting me, as is the button prompt for the medkit. They are the only two items on the radial wheel so far, but I don't want either while I'm wandering about.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    There's no unequip button which is an oversight. Have to wait till you get the revolver.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or you can get eaten. That makes it disappear too.
  • Aye, once you have the pistol, equip that and it will be holstered after a minute leaving your hands free.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There should have been an option to shoot yourself with the pistol tho. They missed a trick there.
  • Fuck shooting myself, now this may be a controversial thing to say, esp given im not too far into it, but i swear playing this game without binaural stereo, a DK2 and possibly mind altering drugs, this game is not the game as it is meant to be enjoyed

It's gone from looking 'could be quite cool if i could stop feeling sick' to absolutely phenomenal after my new aquisitions. I stand still and stare at doors sometimes. Just to look at them. I walked around a 4m squared area of space a little while trying to fathom how something so convincing wasnt even there. Looking at the grating of a mesh wall going 'thats not real, right?'

You guys get yourself one of these doodaa's asap, is my advice, i think i'm going toconvulse myself inside out in terror come beastie time but until then, just walking around small rooms peering at bits in the corner and under desks is a revelation. Gaming's hit some weird times
  • i did a picture to express my predicament

aliennope.jpg
  • Well, this is no fucking fun. 

It kinda reminds me of the first Dead Space but with shite guns. 

I am finding the androids much scarier than the alien. They are terrifying!
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • if you arent playing with an oculus, you arent playing the game, fact!
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Well, this is no fucking fun. 

It kinda reminds me of the first Dead Space but with shite guns. 

I am finding the androids much scarier than the alien. They are terrifying!

I've been playing the first Dead Space recently, it's child's play. Tearing through it without a care in the world.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Keep the plasma cutter equipped and it's the only ammo that drops.
  • Also holding even the finest of Dead Spaces visual efforts up to Alien Isolation's design and implementation is just plain silliness and I will hear nothing of it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fuck off, Dead Space was great.
  • It's very similar in atmosphere. 
    Walk around badly lit space station. 
    Hear some noises. 
    Have some lights blow out. 
    BAD GUY!!!!!

It's good, don't get me wrong. 
    I'm just past my first alien encounter, which seemed a bit random.

I tell you what tho, some devs need a swift kicking, why does the alien walk along corridors and use stairs like a human!!?
    It should be crawling along walls and mounting railings to drop to the floor below. It should be asleep coiled around ceiling struts dropping alien goo on the floor.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Dead Space was great, aye.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    It's very similar in atmosphere. 
    Walk around badly lit space station. 
    Hear some noises. 
    Have some lights blow out. 
    BAD GUY!!!!!

It's good, don't get me wrong. 
    I'm just past my first alien encounter, which seemed a bit random.

I tell you what tho, some devs need a swift kicking, why does the alien walk along corridors and use stairs like a human!!?
    It should be crawling along walls and mounting railings to drop to the floor below. It should be asleep coiled around ceiling struts dropping alien goo on the floor.

It's based on the first film. Unless I'm mistaken, that Alien didn't crawl along walls. It was largely human like, due to the limited special effects budget.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The xenomorph takes on the characteristics of its host anyway, so it's going to be human like.
  • I don't think I can bring myself to return to this. I think I'm about halfway through after about 6-7 hours, and the thought of another 6-7 hours of the same thing just doesn't inspire the will to return.
  • Never had that feeling at all. I just kept being pushed forward by the next challenge. Whereabouts are you in the world? Something happens around half way through that changes it up slightly.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    It's very similar in atmosphere.  Walk around badly lit space station.  Hear some noises.  Have some lights blow out.  BAD GUY!!!!! It's good, don't get me wrong.  I'm just past my first alien encounter, which seemed a bit random. I tell you what tho, some devs need a swift kicking, why does the alien walk along corridors and use stairs like a human!!? It should be crawling along walls and mounting railings to drop to the floor below. It should be asleep coiled around ceiling struts dropping alien goo on the floor.
    It's based on the first film. Unless I'm mistaken, that Alien didn't crawl along walls. It was largely human like, due to the limited special effects budget.
    It should still be alien like, flow rather than stomp about like a man in a suit.
  • @Syph79 I'm just:
    Spoiler:
  • Can anyone help?
    So I did that first encounter and basically I died a lot and in the end I just shit squat walked over to the stairs as soon as I entered the room and then hid near them until I heard the alien stomp off, ran to the door, unlocked it and out. 

But the level game clearly wanted me to do proper sneaky stuff like misdirection and diversions using the power redirect things on the walls. But I can't really notice any real effects when I did turn the power on and off in the systems. The O2 thing made a load of fog appear for a few seconds and the speaker switch makes a teensy bit of noise. When I tried using both of these things to distract the alien it ended in disaster. 
    The O2 one just made him come looking and there wasn't enough time to get away from the area before he came to investigate. 
    The speaker one did at first appear to work, he was attracted to the far end of the room but then he just made a beeline to exactly where I was hiding which was the opposite side of the room.
  • So how did you guys do it and are there effective tactics when using these power switch thingies?
  • pantyfire wrote:
    So how did you guys do it and are there effective tactics when using these power switch thingies?
    pantyfire wrote:
    So how did you guys do it and are there effective tactics when using these power switch thingies?

I didn't bother with most of that stuff. I used the switches for doors or to turn off cameras, but I didn't mess with the air or speakers - it didn't strike me as something as useful and a part of me wondered if it was a red herring. Why should everything in such a hostile place be helpful, I guess?

Just stay low and listen at all times. Avoid the alien and it will go looking elsewhere. Use that time to move to the next point of safety - locker, under a desk, etc. I moved around when I knew the alien was in the ceiling vents or if it was showing as 70+ metres away on the sensor. If it was a good distance away, I used run too.

Flares are the best misdirection early on.
  • Chief wrote:
    @Syph79 I'm just:
    Spoiler:

I really enjoyed that bit. It does change up slightly soon, but if you're not feeling it now, I'm not sure another 6 to 7 hours will be your thing.
  • Ha so i have discovered that you can, as long as you know where you are going, run right past the killer droids.
  • Yup.
  • Well first hour has not gone well. Reminded instantly of the old Riddick games for some reason. So here goes my moan:

Things were going well until I came across three human enemies that I had to avoid. Without even a vague idea of where I should be heading, I ended up skulking around some tables and chairs listening to their dialogue loops playing repeatedly for ten minutes before being shot in the face. After three tries it was already getting tedious.

This reminded me why I don't really like these kind of games. They're quite boring to play. Stupid save systems and archaic game design in general. In a game like this you're gonna die a lot so you really don't want lengthy loading times between each death.

I will persevere till I meet the alien but I can't see me getting through this one. Great atmosphere and sound design but it feels very old otherwise. I liked the sound of the unscripted alien encounters but I've a feeling it'll just be a series of frustrating restarts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!