PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bit trip and NES remix next. I fucking love NES remix
  • Am I right in thinking the Bit.Trip games are endless?

I've put a good amount of time into the NES remix games, always boot them up from time to time for a quick half hour. Great games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Do a chunk of Pullblox after that
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Am I right in thinking the Bit.Trip games are endless?

I've put a good amount of time into the NES remix games, always boot them up from time to time for a quick half hour. Great games.

Runner has a clear ending and is by miles the best bit trip
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Runner 2 is even more Sublime
  • I have Runner 2 on Wii U.  Fantastic game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Could do without the martinet tbh
  • There are a couple of games you should cull from the list and try to forget about imo.  World of Goo is one of them, not because it's crap (it's not - would probably scrape the top half of a very strong Wii top ten for me), but I've watched you try to enjoy it twice and you don't.  Can't win 'em all, one man's [9] is another man's meh.  Also, Doom 64?  Cross it off and you'll probably enjoy the new one even more when you get round to it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All of the Bit.Trip games have an ending.

Bit Trip Runner is certainly the most accessible. I tried Runner 2 on 360 but for some reason I prefer the original on Wii. I know I shouldn't but there you go.

Re Doom64 - I loved that game. It might be an idea to google some passwords and sample a couple of the later levels and then cross it off. There are a handful of hidden secret "fun" levels only accessible from a cheat menu. gamefaqs is your friend.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm a massive Doom fan and its the only one I've not done.

Pain in the arse of it is I can't get it working on my Raspberry Pi which I would be much more likely to play it on seeing as my N64 isn't set up.

Same goes for Excitebike although I'd be more inclined to pick that up on the VC, but Doom 64 will unfortunately never grace that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Re World of Goo, that might be one to be culled for sure. 

Jak 2/3, Sly2/3 will probably go that way to as I got the trilogies of those to play the originals first and foremost and I platinum'd both of those so I feel I got my monies worth from those.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Both franchises (Jak & Sly) move away from what you're keen on, so that seems sensible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Doom64 is, aside from some fiddly controls, the best doom because the maps are so good
  • I've heard a lot of good things about it over the years.

A shame it released in the shadow of Turok and Goldeneye.

It's probably aged the best, hence it still being on my list. Bloody Raspberry Pi!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Doom 64 is great if you can jack up the brightness and mess with the contrast.

So hard to see anything.
  • Boom, got Doom 64 up and running on the Pi, would have been quicker to set the N64 up but there you go.

Currently on the 5 level and loving it, yet to start Liberation Maiden but will have those two on the go for now. Will report back when I make some progress on the old pile.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just spent the last few hours finishing off Excitebike on Wii, thats another struck from the list.

Loving this thread atm, really is helping me finish games off.

Back to Doom 64...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    Re Doom64 - I loved that game. It might be an idea to google some passwords and sample a couple of the later levels and then cross it off. There are a handful of hidden secret "fun" levels only accessible from a cheat menu. gamefaqs is your friend.

Stumbled across a secret exit playing this. After completeing a few more levels I googled it and found a level listing on the excellent Doom Wikia and found the following:

Levels
    Doom 64 featured 32 original levels:

MAP01: Staging Area
    MAP32: Hectic (super secret level)
    MAP02: The Terraformer
    MAP03: Main Engineering
    MAP04: Holding Area
    MAP29: Outpost Omega (secret level)
    MAP05: Tech Center
    MAP06: Alpha Quadrant
    MAP07: Research Lab
    MAP08: Final Outpost
    MAP09: Even Simpler
    MAP10: The Bleeding
    MAP11: Terror Core
    MAP12: Altar Of Pain
    MAP30: The Lair (secret level)
    MAP13: Dark Citadel
    MAP14: Eye Of The Storm
    MAP15: Dark Entries
    MAP16: Blood Keep
    MAP17: Watch Your Step
    MAP18: Spawned Fear
    MAP31: In The Void (secret level)
    MAP19: The Spiral
    MAP20: Breakdown
    MAP21: Pitfalls
    MAP22: Burnt Offerings
    MAP23: Unholy Temple
    MAP24: No Escape
    MAP28: The Absolution

Fun levels:
    MAP25: Cat And Mouse
    MAP26: Hardcore
    MAP27: Playground

The strikethroughs are the ones I've completed, so it seems I've missed two of them so far.

Upon further reading the unknown weapon I picked up in level 12 is the Unmaker. This can be upgraded three times by picking up the Demon Keys in the three main secret levels; 29, 30 & 31. Picking these up also disables the demon teleporters in the final level making it much easier.

The 'Fun Levels' (25, 26 & 27) are only accessible via the features menu after completing the 'Super Secret Level' (32).

Quite a bit to this then. Its excellent, I can see why it passed most by in 1997, most were burnt out on Doom by then and games like Goldeneye and Turok were pushing things forward, not to mention Quake on PC. Much like a good 16Bit game against a 32Bit one though, this has stood the test of time much better through its simplicity.

Bit gutted I'm halfway through and only have one secret level and only being able to upgrade the Unmaker the once.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wait, is Doom 64 a new game then? I thought it was just Doom, but on the 64.
  • Yep, it was a completely new game. 

Essentially its the real Doom 3, but then again I guess Final Doom is technically Doom 3. Making Doom 64 Doom 4, Doom 3 Doom 5 and Doom (2016) Doom 6.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep. All new levels. The engine allows for more moving platforms and scripted events etc.  It's slightly more puzzle-like than classic Doom but not overly so.

info..

http://www.doom2.net/doomdepot/abs-d64interview.html
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, Doom 64 got a hell (sorry)of a treatment - genuinely I think it's the best doom out there for og boom
  • also i can't help but feel that retro is doing 'pile of shame' wrong...it should only be games you've never player, or played for maybe less than an hour.  after that it's just 'games i haven't finished' which is a different thing all together! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'd have to put MDK2 in after I fell off a huge building near the end and flounced. 

Amusingly I just discovered this:

• also i can't help but feel that retro is doing 'pile of shame' wrong...it should only be games you've never player, or played for maybe less than an hour.  after that it's just 'games i haven't finished' which is a different thing all together! :)

Aside from Punch Out, NES remix and Shovel Knight (now completed) they're pretty much all unplayed.

Currently about half way through Doom 64, Liberation Maiden and Killzone on PS4. The latter is very dissapointing especially after 3 which was the series highlight and a blast in co-op for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Doom 64 done.

Was bloody good. The original is on a pedestal but 64 might be the next best one for me.

II and Final always had that mission pack feel to them whereas this was a genuinely new game built from the ground up.

Got about half hour or so left of Liberation Maiden then I'll pick a couple more from my list.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Glad you enjoyed Doom64. One of the N64 highlights for me. I actually bought it while drunk (at £50 back then I probably needed to be) and couldn't find it the next day! Had put it in a box of SNES games I had.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Doom 64 survived the cull of 100 odd N64 games because it's just so damned good.
  • It's still the best Doom.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Slightly off topic, but this talk of Doom 64 has just reminded me of Gloom on the CD32. That was a thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!