PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    With mixed sucess judging from these videos (but 2nd in their category, apparently!)

Nicely done. I wonder if you have to enter every category. I suppose that's the challenge, that your robot has to be able to do it all.

They should have used your mates' robot for the sizzle reel section with the obstacle course, for some reason they decided to use a robot that failed at each hurdle and had to be moved by hand over each one!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    I got my Pi yesterday and put RetroPie on it. Is there a generally accepted "best" version of MAME for it? My romset is for 0.139 and is 24Gb but I see there seems to be various versions of MAME that support different roms. Which is why I was wondering if I should use any particular version.

Also, is there any way of adjusting the screen on the Infocom emulator to make it usable on my tv? The font size is tiny and I would love to be able to sit back on the couch and play the Infocom games.

Pretty sure you can get a build of of retroarch and rock that. @IanHamlett will likely have the best advice.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    I got my Pi yesterday and put RetroPie on it. Is there a generally accepted "best" version of MAME for it? My romset is for 0.139 and is 24Gb but I see there seems to be various versions of MAME that support different roms. Which is why I was wondering if I should use any particular version. Also, is there any way of adjusting the screen on the Infocom emulator to make it usable on my tv? The font size is tiny and I would love to be able to sit back on the couch and play the Infocom games.
    Pretty sure you can get a build of of retroarch and rock that. @IanHamlett will likely have the best advice.

Thanks
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • It's all about EmulationStation for me. It might have been superseded by now but it's about as good as you could ever hope for a multiple emulator frontend. 

http://www.emulationstation.org/

They've got disk images ready to go on the site. The default size is 4gb tho so you'll have to use a partition tool to max out your card. 4gb will still cover all the good games from the birth of Jesus to 1994.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Which tin should I put my Pi Zero NAS in?

CajG0otWwAEMrjQ_zpsyjia6tuk.jpg?t=1454766212
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The Hamlet tin seems sturdy and reliable while being quietly cool.

How's Pidgeon getting along with emulation? Finding ROMs easy enough?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    How's the 'NA' bit working? I thought the zero didn't have a whole lot of network to attach to?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    How's the 'NA' bit working? I thought the zero didn't have a whole lot of network to attach to?

USB ethernet adapter. Though I'm not having much luck getting it to work. Everything I can find says it should work out of the box; I'm starting to suspect my router is shite.
  • What's the deal with the zero? Are they being produced at all, in really low numbers or am I just looking in the wrong places?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I thin they're made in the same Welsh Sony plant as the other Pis. The original Pi was hard to get hold of for months. The Pi Zero was has only had a run of 20,000 so far I think.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I HAVE HELD ONE THEY EXIST
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I fuckin' own one. WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME.

Also, what Hamlett said. It'll take 'em a while to catch up with demand.
  • Just ordered one from pimironi. :)
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Didn't think they were back in stock till Wednesday- I'll be having words if you've grabbed one and there are none left!!!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Well?? I got a little bit obsessed checking everywhere and eventually came across a post on the .org forums saying they were in.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah i missed out
  • It's gonna be fucking months isn't it?
  • I read something the other day. Think it said a small shipment every 2 weeks and it will alternate between pimoroni and thepihut
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    The Hamlet tin seems sturdy and reliable while being quietly cool. How's Pidgeon getting along with emulation? Finding ROMs easy enough?

I got all the roms I needed eventually, thanks. After a lot of messing about trying to get it configured to my liking, I got a bit scunnered to be honest and I haven't really gone back to it since. I found the Megadrive and Snes emulation a bit underwhelming, whether it was the appearance of them on an LCD without scanlines or whatever, I don't know. I did enjoy the Infocom adventures I have and I will probably go back to them before anything else.

A bit of a waste of £50 I think, for a couple of games of Scramble.
  • Is it just me or does the scrapping for MD/Gen not work?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There are filters to change the look of games. I can't remember what they're like tho.

1391807722376.png
  • I'm quite interested in the emulations side as it happens. Quite time poor though, has anyone pulled together emulators, instructions, etc into one place for easy reference?
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    There are filters to change the look of games. I can't remember what they're like tho.

I am aware of this, but due to the time I has already spent on getting it configured and working, I couldn't be fucked starting on the scanline configurations. I will revisit it when I have more time, and probably by that time there will be a new RetroPie version out and the whole process will have to be started again.

I was losing the will to live trying to tie romsets to emu versions.
  • Zero arrived and RPi3 now available so it's been a good day!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Glad I didn't pump up the cash for a 2 a couple of weeks back!
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    There are filters to change the look of games. I can't remember what they're like tho.
    I am aware of this, but due to the time I has already spent on getting it configured and working, I couldn't be fucked starting on the scanline configurations. I will revisit it when I have more time, and probably by that time there will be a new RetroPie version out and the whole process will have to be started again. I was losing the will to live trying to tie romsets to emu versions.

It does seem to be a bit of a slog.

Getting all the boxarts for MD games doesn't seem to work at all.

I also got the .bin file for teh PSone emu but I can't get any games for it. All the ones I can find are the wrong file format.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I might have posted this before, but I can't remember, and I can't be bothered checking. ;)

The Malinux Tele project takes old CRT TVs and turns them into computers by inserting a Pi. These are then donated to schools, etc., around Mali. You can help out by donating old Pis.
  • Mines been dispatched today. Set about downloading RetroPie and sorting out a USB stick with a tonne of games ready to go only found that my USB card reader isn't being recognised by my MacBook. Think I'll need a new one.
    Quite excited about my own little mini retro console hooked up to my tv.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I can't wait for the bt le to be sorted on pi3 for gaming
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    My Pi 3 arrived recently, too, but sadly it's a gift for someone else rather than something that I'll actually get to use.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!