Raspberry Pi
  • Don't think it's stocked over here and as you said it's out of stock online. Checked out the subscription rates and they seemed crazy. Is it a US mag?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Is it a US mag?

I don't think so, the price (on the website) was given as £5.99. I might be wrong, though. Couldn't find anyone round here that had any.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:

Cheers for posting that, not heard of Ubuntu MATE before now. Looks like a good distro.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Gonna be updating my Pi's at the weekend. Hopefully give the Explorer HAT Pro a whirl too.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    If you're in the market for a Raspberry Pi Zero, but you're finding it hard to get hold of one, I just managed to snag a unit.

I put my name down to get a reminder email if the MagPi #40 comes back in stock (the magazine with the 0 on the front for free), and just got an email about it. They're out of stock of the individual issues, but they do have some left that were earmarked for subscribers. If you grab a subscription now you'll start with issue 40. Subscribers get a set of cables for use with the 0, too.

Upshot is I got the RP0, a set of cables, and three issues of the magazine for £12.99. (There are other subs deals with better rates per issue, but I thought I'd start with the lowest raw cost and "upgrade" later if I want to.)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/ is where you go for subs to MagPi.
  • Good shout. Unfortunately it's a 6 issue minimum @€62 so this evening I'll probably be weighing up a sub and pi zero vs a pi!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Good shout. Unfortunately it's a 6 issue minimum

Ah, that sucks. I could do three issues which was only £13.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Pi Zero get!

IMG_1006_zpsn94wdbqd.jpg

I even made an unboxing video.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ta da!

IMG_1007_zpsmmviip5c.jpg?t=1450617442

I wanted to try out Puppy Linux, but the NOOBS installer only had Raspbian on it. Something to try later. (I thought NOOBS was meant to include a range of operating systems, like RISC OS and such? Ah well.)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Logged into my Pi1, which is in another room, via my Mac. IT'S LIKE LIVING IN THE FUTURE OR SOME SHIT.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Just me, eh? ;)

Would this cable work to connect a Pi to a router? It's the right sort, but I'm getting thrown by the 'patch' part. My networking knowledge is limited, but I know that ethernet cables are wired differently if you're doing, say, computer to computer rather than computer to router.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Those are crossover cables you're thinking about.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There are other RJ45 thingies but I rapidly get confused about what's what. Despite working in networking. Ahem.
  • Patch just means short. RJ45 is right. RJ11 is the one used for phones.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    £120 quid though? WTAF?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    £111 for the white 20 metre tho, bargain.

I don't get ebay as an outlet for buying new stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers lads, I think I've got the right thing, then. I've bought a 25 cm cable. Now I just need a few USB thumbdrives and a USB ethernet adapter and I'll have the bits to build my Pi Zero-based NAS-in-a-can.
  • The seller is putting £110 on the price of anything they don't have in stock. That saves them having to take it down and pay the cost of relisting.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There's a culture of eBay, which I'm largely ignorant of.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    This is pretty cool: Pi Wars.

Build a robot using the RPi, make 'em compete in various events, win fabulous prizes.
  • beano wrote:
    There's a culture of eBay, which I'm largely ignorant of.
    I'm new to that trick. I found out when a guy was selling a lens for £1125 when everyone else had it for £125. Being a helpful bastard I sent him a message to correct his typo. It wasn't a typo.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I will never have to suffer such regret, anxiety, guilt or shame leading to a foray of ebaying my life away, now. Thanks.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    I will never have to suffer such regret, anxiety, guilt or shame leading to a foray of ebaying my life away, now. Thanks.

In my defence, I'm getting much more for my extraneous game collection via eBay than I would from trading it in.
  • Can the Pi Zero run emulators?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    danclarke wrote:
    Can the Pi Zero run emulators?

I would assume so. It's basically the same specs as the original Pi, but with no built-in ethernet and much smaller. I got my Pi0 by getting a subscription to MagPi, and one of the projects it recommends is putting it inside a NES controller and using it to play retro games.
  • Yeah,lifehacker had a how-to on putting one in an original Xbox controller. When I eventually get one, or some, one will be going into an arcade stick.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yes it can, @danclarke; @ianhamlett would be my go to for chats about it. Other than that, I believe pimoroni sell a PiCade, so I imagine in the tonne of resources for getting that boxed, and you ignore the GPIO / setup for the stick and buttons that it should list the best emulators available (currently).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    This is pretty cool: Pi Wars. Build a robot using the RPi, make 'em compete in various events, win fabulous prizes.

Some colleagues / friends entered.  With mixed sucess judging from these videos (but 2nd in their category, apparently!)

http://www.hardwarehacker.co.uk/blog/aftermath/
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Some colleagues / friends entered.

That's awesome, I'll check out the videos ASAP.
  • I got my Pi yesterday and put RetroPie on it. Is there a generally accepted "best" version of MAME for it? My romset is for 0.139 and is 24Gb but I see there seems to be various versions of MAME that support different roms. Which is why I was wondering if I should use any particular version.

Also, is there any way of adjusting the screen on the Infocom emulator to make it usable on my tv? The font size is tiny and I would love to be able to sit back on the couch and play the Infocom games.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!