BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    So it works OK if you don't over clock it?
    If I keep it on standard clock speed then it runs fine without crashing but the downside is that if I try to run emulation the sound stutters on some of the games.

Oh I see. I was about to suggest "don't overclock it then". ;)

What about a fan or heat sink?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's got a heat sink but that doesn't seem to help. Thing is it used to work fine but I'm assuming something inside it broke somehow... Oh well I'm away to order my Pi 2 soon when they become available again. Then I can just keep the old Model B for some other random job.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Zombie thread revival!

Raspberry Pi to get some competition from the $9 CHIP.

Yup, a $9 computer. Kick starter target was $50k, currently sitting at just over half a million with 26 days to go. 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and 4GB of storage. Jeebus.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's not £9 if you want to use it as an actual computer. The HDMI module costs more than the CHIP. So the total cost to get the thing going as the video shows is closer to £25. But for headless computing for cheap it's brilliant.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, cunning. Good point.
  • A bit out of date but the entire rig is run from Rasberry pis. I always wondered about the whole Bitcoin thing but I think its been going down the toilet.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I vaguely get the idea behind crypto currency, but I don't get the "mining" aspect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As far as I know there is a finite number of Bitcoins. Bitcoins are managed entirely by an algorithm. They are mined or created by crunching a special bitcoin mining algorithm, recreating the labour used to mine gold for example.

They are getting harder to create as the number of unmined Bitcoins decreases - so increasing the amount of CPU time you need to create them.

Or something like that. 

I really must do a bit of reading on the subject.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Imagine each prime number was worth a quid and every one of them was written in one place, with the names of everyone that ever owned it written next to it. If two people try to spend the same prime, the one with the longest list of names is taken as real.

Mining is trying to figure out the next prime number.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers lads. It sounds to me like claiming dibs on a five pound note before it's printed. I'm guessing massively illegal?
  • No, the system relies on mass computing to verify transactions and generate new coins.
  • All they know is some asian guy designed the algorithm but nobody knows who he is. I think it was Bruce Lee.

• It's all open source. Anyone that's familiar with Bruce Lee's code can see his fingerprints all over it.

3481f2085be9c08402ec146c0278b037.jpg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    No, the system relies on mass computing to verify transactions and generate new coins.

So, if it's possible to turn bitcoin into a "real" currency, are bitcoin miners basically just printing cash?
  • You can exchange it for more traditional currencies just like exchanging £ for $. Thing is with "real" money, it's all smoke and mirrors anyway, it only works as long as we all agree that we'll play along. Our paper isn't backed by the gold standard like it was because that never worked.

A few hundred years ago (or so), the Portuguese (or Spanish) came back from the Americas (or somewhere) with a shitload of silver (or gold) and minted new coins with it. Inflation went mental.

Doge coins are potentially as legit as pound sterling.
  • The IRS has said BitCoin is property and not currency. So it's been undermined "pun?" because of that ruling.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Thing is with "real" money, it's all smoke and mirrors anyway, it only works as long as we all agree that we'll play along.

Yeah, crypto or not currency is just a shared delusion. It has value because we agree it has value.
  • Well not really. British money is a promissory note. If you take a fiver to the bank of england they legally have to give you the same value in real currency. Bitcoin doesn't have any function like that.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    If you take a fiver to the bank of england they legally have to give you the same value in real currency.

Pounds sterling has more in place backing it up than, say, Doge coin, but think about it this way - a legal agreement is still just a thing people have agreed to do. If everything goes tits up you can take all the fivers you want to the Bank of England, they won't be able to give you peanuts for it.

I've wondered though, if you did take a stack of notes to the Bank of England and say "I want to exchange these promissory notes for Real Currency", what would they give you? As has already been mentioned, there's no gold standard any more.
  • Coins are meant to be real currency. Notes are meant to promise the holder of the note the same value in coins in exchange. But saying that, a £1 coin is no longer worth £1. I don't know if you can go asking for gold coins instead...

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    Coins are meant to be real currency.

But again, they have "value" in a monetary sense because we all agree that they have value. If we all woke up tomorrow and decided that UK coins weren't worth anything, you could have all the bank notes in the world, it wouldn't do you any good.

This is the kind of shit that keeps me awake at night. ;)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    This might help me understand the whole crypto-currency thing a bit more - the biggest misconceptions about BitCoin.
  • A workmate said he might be able to pass me a free Pi2 from a batch he's getting. After a couple of days being slightly excited about the possibility, I bought one.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    ... so there's a free Pi2 up for grabs? ;)
  • It's only a chance he can get some. AFAIK he's tagging a few onto someone else's order to take it over a threshold here you get a few thrown in.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Dibs.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Another pi-a-like on the way, this time a result of a BBC and Microsoft partnership.

The BBC micro:bit, which apparently ever Year 7 pupil in the UK will have access to.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I presume everyone by now has seen the Raspberry Pi Zero, which costs US$5 (~£4), or is free with issue 40 of Magpi magazine (£5.99)? I'm trying to find someone that stocks the magazine because the Zero and mag has sold out online.

You'll need cables, o'course, but the RPi folks'll sell you those for £4, or gratis with a Magpi subscription.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!