PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    One thing I have learnt is that the wifi dongle has to be plugged into the Pi and not a USB hub.

Oh, smeg. I think we may have identified my problem.

@dynamiteReady, I honesty can't figure out what the dog picture is meant to mean. Chuck us a bone. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ha! Yes... I wondered how cryptic that might have been.

This was the version I originally wanted to post.

db030bc1c016e3a99a15635ad30c159e453c5d3629ae318a454604a3fa0740ce.jpg
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah ha, gotcha. :) Yes, really. I rather liked RiscOS. Or is the "really?" aimed at my tin-foil hat use of my Pi to make my own cloud service?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    More the Risc OS thing. I can only wish you good luck with the file server...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    More the Risc OS thing. I can only wish you good luck with the file server...

What don't you like about RiscOS?

Thanks, I'll need it. I think the only stumbling block at the moment is the wireless connection, but that may just be wishful thinking. I'm having flashbacks to the time I spent 24 hours installing Gentoo... only for it to not work.
  • This is an utterly pointless post but I just wanted to say that I'm writing to you from my Pi using RiscOS plugged in via ethernet. It's WAY faster using the internet with RISC than it is with Raspian.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    What don't you like about RiscOS?

I suppose I'm just being a dick, tbh. If it's GUI is faster than Rasbian for general purpose stuff, then it's probably a good way to run a £30 PC...
  • They've said they wont make anymore changes to the Pi until around 2016 and all improvements from here on in will be with software optimization. So fair enough that'll be good if they can get linux running on it smoothly but I can imagine it's going to take a long time. Currently its way too slow to be usable. RISC is written to be used with ARM but surely thats a lot of work to do something similar with Linux?

• So I'm trying to make a motion tracking camera thingy using http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=7397 this guide. Only thing is it says to edit the conf file.

How the fuck do you do that?

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    RISC is written to be used with ARM but surely thats a lot of work to do something similar with Linux?
    If it's GUI is faster than Rasbian for general purpose stuff, then it's probably a good way to run a £30 PC...

The only thing that stops it being my default install on my Pi is the lack of wireless support. But then I'm still struggling to get my Pi online wirelessly anyway, so I guess I can't hold that against RiscOS. I would wager getting Linux to run on another architecture is a whole Thing™. A billion Internet Points for the first person to get Raspbian running with HURD rather than Linux. You will forfeit having sex ever again, though.
    Scotswahey wrote:
    Only thing is it says to edit the conf file. How the fuck do you do that?

If it's the same as the Unix under-pinnings in OS X, it'll be something like "nano ~/.bash_profile". Also have a dig around online, something like this should help. I think BASH is the default shell in Raspbian, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Cheers Blue I'll give it a BASH... tomorrow... Sorry. 

In other news theyre released a new web browser called Epiphany. It plays HTML5 video and they've got it working with Youtube finally. I've not tried it yet but I'll install it hopefully tomorrow. 

Watching the video it looks pretty smooth anyway.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    Cheers Blue I'll give it a BASH... tomorrow... Sorry.

Ba dum, tish.
    Scotswahey wrote:
    In other news theyre released a new web browser called Epiphany.

Sold. HTML5 FTW.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Only thing is it says to edit the conf file. How the fuck do you do that?
    If it's the same as the Unix under-pinnings in OS X, it'll be something like "nano ~/.bash_profile". Also have a dig around online, something like this should help. I think BASH is the default shell in Raspbian, but I'm not 100% sure.

Much like Swirl just said. Open up the command line console, and:

sudo nano /etc/motion/motion.conf

or just

nano /etc/motion/motion.conf

Use 'sudo' if you have a user account and have to login to your copy of raspbian.
    If you don't have to do that, use the second line.

That will launch Nano. A command line text editor. It takes some getting used to, but it isn't that much worse than notepad. You may have to Google the commands though as I don't have a clue what they are, but understand that ctrl + 'o' saves, and ctrl + 'x' exits Nano, and puts you back onto the standard command line.

Good luck.

Would like to know how it all turns out, as I've always wanted to do some machine vision stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That will launch Nano. A command line text editor. It takes some getting used to, but it isn't that much worse than notepad. You may have to Google the commands though as I don't have a clue what they are, but understand that ctrl + 'o' saves, and ctrl + 'x' exits Nano.

Nano displays the basic commands at the bottom of the terminal window. And as you say, it's about a hojillion times easier than something like Vi(m) or GNU Emacs.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    To counter your arguments in the favour of RiscOS...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/web-browser-released/
  • The new browser really isn't all that fast. I tried overclocking the pi to 900 and it's still chugging like fuck loading anything. It's just not got enough speed or memory to run linux properly in it's current state. 

It'll be another 2 years before we get the Raspberry Pi 2. It'll be interesting how much performance they can get out of the current setup but I'm not holding my breath. 

Still glad I've got the thing though. I'm in my man cave every chance I get messing around with the thing.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I need to buy a HDMI monitor. Hopefully tomorrow. 

Once I do that, I can start fucking about with the thing again.

I've no real ideas for it, but it'll be nice to see if I can at least get QT and a little low level graphics demo going on it.
  • I've been instructed by the GF to set my spare pi up in the babys room with a camera so we can log in with the laptop and check on the baby. I nearly had it all sorted but something didn't work. I'll get there eventually.

• I just bought a pi-dac to go with my class-d amp. My pi-fi is coming along nicely.
  • Ooooh nice, haven't seen that. Mmm would be really handy with a Pi with Pure Data patches...
  • X1xrBxC.jpg
    It's taken about 5 hours some dodgy soldering and a lot of head scratching but it works. Music plays and it sounds good. Now to figure out how to make it work a wireless access point.
  • Is that an LG charger?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    It's taken about 5 hours some dodgy soldering and a lot of head scratching but it works. Music plays and it sounds good. Now to figure out how to make it work a wireless access point.

Nice one.
  • n0face wrote:
    Asus.
    Fucknuts. I edited that post from Asus to LG after thinking it looks a bit more like my Nexus5 than my old Nexus7.

Now I've completely missed out on an internet point.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • RQNCDD1.jpg
    I wired my d class amp up to a 12v battery and the raspberry pi through a car charger and it played! Then I turned it up, it cut out and now i can't get it to play again? 1 step forward 2 steps back.
  • I've just blown up my Jerry rigged pi transformer. Going to get one of these I think.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161164603248?cmd=VIDESC
  • 1ug5oEt.jpg
    I've finally gone wireless, I feel like a raspberry pi ninja right now.

Now to figure out how to set it up as a wireless access point.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    I've finally gone wireless...

That's an awful lot of wires sticking out of it for something described as "wireless". ;)

Still, nice work. How long do the batteries power it for?
  • Don't know yet, but I've run it for a good 12 hours over the weekend and it was still going strong. Planning to have a solar cell on the finished article so if it's a bit sunny hopefully it should run forever.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!