Current Affairs
  • There was a 2% difference between Lab and Con at the last GE in my current constituency. I'm not going to risk a Tory seat on that tight a margin by voting for anyone but Labour.
    Especially as it was a leave Tory that won.
  • There was a 2% difference between Lab and Con at the last GE in my current constituency. I'm not going to risk a Tory seat on that tight a margin by voting for anyone but Labour.
    Especially as it was a leave Tory that won.

I'm in a Labour / Tory marginal as well, currently held by Labour. Problem is the Labour MP is Queen of Brexit, Gisela Stuart. So what are the options here? Endorsing one mad Brexit twat over another? After the referendum, I decided anyome who endorsed the process was disqualified from getting my vote. I'll use my vote to signal opposition to Brexit which is, imo, a better use of it than getting mad twat Gisela Stuart back into Parliament.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    There was a 2% difference between Lab and Con at the last GE in my current constituency. I'm not going to risk a Tory seat on that tight a margin by voting for anyone but Labour. Especially as it was a leave Tory that won.
    I'm in a Labour / Tory marginal as well, currently held by Labour. Problem is the Labour MP is Queen of Brexit, Gisela Stuart. So what are the options here? Endorsing one mad Brexit twat over another? After the referendum, I decided anyome who endorsed the process was disqualified from getting my vote. I'll use my vote to signal opposition to Brexit which is, imo, a better use of it than getting mad twat Gisela Stuart back into Parliament.

If her seat is truly safe then you could always trade
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The Brexit result in my constituency reflects almost exactly the GE result.
    I've not read up on the current Labour representative here, I will do once it is properly announced who is running though.

I was in a different constituency for the GE and the Ref.
  • Who is your current MP Matty?
    monkey wrote:
    I think Corbyn / Labour might do slightly better than expected if he can get his act together for a couple of months and people actually hear some of his policies straight from his mouth. Granted, 'better than expected' is a low bar for him as most people are expecting electoral apocalypse.

He's just this weekend gone on a policy blitz designed for the upcoming local elections. Which means they will likely get much more coverage now there is going to be a General. According to canvassers, they are popular on the doorstep too.

So the question becomes how they can communicate these. Labour are still trusted far more on the NHS than the Tories. They need to make that a central plank. His big hits on May at PMQ's have been on education, mental health and social care. Gun for those.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Labour are still trusted far more on the NHS than the Tories

That's like trusting a bar of chocolate to a diabetic more than to a menstruating female
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • monkey wrote:

Your constituency voted 52% Remain. So there is a chance she could lose a lot of votes. UKIPs votes will likely disintegrate into Tory votes.

You also have the problem of the Lib Dems having dropped below the Greens last time. Where does the anti Brexit vote there end up going?
  • Breaking News:- Gisela Stuart might be standing down anyway apparenty so that's blown the crucial race for Monkey's vote wide open. More on this story to follow as the situation develops.
  • That fucking speech she gave, " a vote for the Conservatives will give me more power... "  in our negotiations for Brexit etc.  This disdain for Parliament, and even her own Cabinet, revealing a hunger for a more Presidential style of British Government, utterly reprehensible and I can't believe no ones giving her stick over it.   Brexit will be (mis)managed by teams of civil servants and other high ranking officials.  All she'll do is sit there in her leather kecks and blame the intransigence of the French and Germans when it all goes Pear-shaped.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Actually, having checked the transcript of the speech the phrase is "make me stronger..." but the message is still implicitly there.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yup, pretty disgusting in my opinion
  • The Trumpian influence is strong in this one
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Damn straight, the democratic system is a joke, and worse it's treated as one by those who need it most, because they don't get to see the bits they need
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Mumm.gif

Corbyn's replacement'll be May Zero. His best bet in my view is to focus on sabre-rattling as a pacifist. Support for Trident might grow rapidly under May's incompetence if Tiny Hands goes full turnip.

I'd vote for someone who vows to keep us out of that unless anyone attacks us directly.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Mumm.gif

Corbyn's replacement'll be May Zero. His best bet in my view is to focus on sabre-rattling as a pacifist. Support for Trident might grow rapidly under May's incompetence if Tiny Hands goes full turnip.

I'd vote for someone who vows to keep us out of that unless anyone attacks us directly.

Going anti nuke will never win you more votes than you lose. Corbyn won't go hard on the things that people will actually care about. NHS, corporate tax breaks/corporate welfare, schools. He will witter on about ensuring a "good" brexit, which no one will trust him to do because only Tories can negotiate hard, and he will be as irrelevant as ever.
  • Someone set up an anti-Brexit party, and bloody quickly.
  • The LibDems appear to be trying, but.
  • but, Tim Farron doesn't like the gays.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Clegg lost his paddles down Shit Creek.

• Going anti nuke will never win you more votes than you lose. Corbyn won't go hard on the things that people will actually care about. NHS, corporate tax breaks/corporate welfare, schools. He will witter on about ensuring a "good" brexit, which no one will trust him to do because only Tories can negotiate hard, and he will be as irrelevant as ever.

So you think he's going to ignore all the policies he's just announced?
  • It's worth not repeating the mistakes of America by going into trash mode because the ideal candidate wasn't available.

• A big problem seems to be that the left wing parties will not work together in a coalition.

There is no way any of them could get a majority but there is a slim hope we repeat the 2010 election. In which case a SNP/Labour/Lib Dem/Green coalition could force out the Tories who are only likely to get Ukip on side.
  • In pre election the parties are right to fight Imo It is a democracy of ideas after all and withdrawing one set of ideas in order to "win" is somewhat gross. The slippery slope to this is terrifying. Of course by that same token if voters happen to gravitate towards a certain strategy then that is their prerogative at least but removing choice at the first hurdle is bad.

Post election anything is in the game (who would have predicted a lib dem Tory coalition).

• A big problem seems to be that the left wing parties will not work together in a coalition.

There is no way any of them could get a majority but there is a slim hope we repeat the 2010 election. In which case a SNP/Labour/Lib Dem/Green coalition could force out the Tories who are only likely to get Ukip on side.

Much as I hate to say it, the problem there is the SNP, or rather the other parties reluctance to be associated with them. They saw the effect that poster with milliband in salmonds pocket had, and won't want to risk repeating it.
  • Post election anything is in the game (who would have predicted a lib dem Tory coalition).

And in the event of anything other than a Tory landslide, you can bet that the Libs will again enter into a pact with the Tories to prevent a hung parliament. Farron is on record saying he wouldn't rule out another Tory-Lib coalition. Depressing :(
  • Aye. Even if they swore blind that they wouldn't colab and would go with a hung parliament, I wouldn't trust em to stick to their word after the last go around.
  • He has ruled out a coalition with Labour though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

Going anti nuke will never win you more votes than you lose. Corbyn won't go hard on the things that people will actually care about. NHS, corporate tax breaks/corporate welfare, schools. He will witter on about ensuring a "good" brexit, which no one will trust him to do because only Tories can negotiate hard, and he will be as irrelevant as ever.

So you think he's going to ignore all the policies he's just announced?

Let's see. In fairness he might talk about them a lot, but let's see. Also, let's see what gets reported.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    In pre election the parties are right to fight Imo It is a democracy of ideas after all and withdrawing one set of ideas in order to "win" is somewhat gross. The slippery slope to this is terrifying. Of course by that same token if voters happen to gravitate towards a certain strategy then that is their prerogative at least but removing choice at the first hurdle is bad.

Post election anything is in the game (who would have predicted a lib dem Tory coalition).
    But not doing something pre election is gifting seats to the Tories.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!