PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hallo.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Today at the age of 32 I got accepted to do an HND in Photography, which is nice.  I've had a pretty good life so far but work/career stuff has always been a non-starter really as I had no idea what I wanted to do.  It's nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel for a change.

Maybe one day I'll be my own boss and make enough money to do stuff I enjoy doing, which is travelling, mainly.
  • Also, two years ago this month I wrote the following the Photography thread:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    @WorKid Thanks man.  It's an inherited, outdated Olympus SP-510 UZ.  Having looked about to see what the reviews said when it came out, it seems the best thing folk could say about it is that it could take loads of photos before the batteries went.  Which is true.   It does the job for me though.  Fits in my tank bag beside my lunch and my juice and doesn't need any adjusting before I can use it. 

Wouldn't mind getting a better camera but I couldn't justify the price. I know fuck all about photography and simply point and shoot at nice scenery.  This camera has loads of features I wont use and wouldn't really know how to if I wanted to anyway.  A better, newer camera will just have more features that I can't use.

How things change when you find something you like.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Good news matt. I'm sure you'll have a great time on your course. Looking forward to seeing the homework in here.
  • Yeah well done mate. Is that a full or part time course?
  • Thank you chaps.  Yeah it's full time.  Really looking forward to it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Well done Matteh, it is nice when you find that thing tat makes sense to you.  No reason why you can't crack on and make a killing.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I've never quite understood why maths graduates didn't get the argument that everything is made out of maths. They always think it's made out of "matter", possibly because they assume words made up by physicists are in some way real. You'd think they'd understand the most but they never do.

At uni (physics and maths and astronomy), our class used to joke that somewhere, some physicist will be working away in his office, on a grand unifying theory of everything.

Basic premise is they will be balancing out terms in the equations... 'Cancel, cancel, cancel, ... Z... Zero?'

And poof, the universe disappears.

Turns out that might well be exactly the case. Minus the poof.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I have decided I'm going to do a degree in engineering. I don't know if I want to do general, mechanical or electronic but engineering it is. I'm at least 5 years away from the end, but that is the goal. Just need to work out how I'm going to fit that around work and life now.
  • Vela wrote:
    I've never quite understood why maths graduates didn't get the argument that everything is made out of maths. They always think it's made out of "matter", possibly because they assume words made up by physicists are in some way real. You'd think they'd understand the most but they never do.
    At uni (physics and maths and astronomy), our class used to joke that somewhere, some physicist will be working away in his office, on a grand unifying theory of everything. Basic premise is they will be balancing out terms in the equations... 'Cancel, cancel, cancel, ... Z... Zero?' And poof, the universe disappears. Turns out that might well be exactly the case. Minus the poof.

I remember vividly when my supervisor told me that gravitational fields have negative energy, and it was likely the universe had a combined energy of zero, so popping into existence was really no trouble at all. I got wondering if the conservation of energy law existed first in order for that argument to work out, and by first I mean existed before the universe and therefore time itself. It's no wonder I drink.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I have decided I'm going to do a degree in engineering. I don't know if I want to do general, mechanical or electronic but engineering it is. I'm at least 5 years away from the end, but that is the goal. Just need to work out how I'm going to fit that around work and life now.
    A student of mine is in his 50s and has a youngish daughter.  He explained that he had to develop a precise schedule and stick to it exactly; this allowed him to keep on top of everything.  Seems obvious, but he had it planned out to the minute near enough.
  • Vela wrote:
    I've never quite understood why maths graduates didn't get the argument that everything is made out of maths. They always think it's made out of "matter", possibly because they assume words made up by physicists are in some way real. You'd think they'd understand the most but they never do.
    At uni (physics and maths and astronomy), our class used to joke that somewhere, some physicist will be working away in his office, on a grand unifying theory of everything. Basic premise is they will be balancing out terms in the equations... 'Cancel, cancel, cancel, ... Z... Zero?' And poof, the universe disappears. Turns out that might well be exactly the case. Minus the poof.
    I remember vividly when my supervisor told me that gravitational fields have negative energy, and it was likely the universe had a combined energy of zero, so popping into existence was really no trouble at all. I got wondering if the conservation of energy law existed first in order for that argument to work out, and by first I mean existed before the universe and therefore time itself. It's no wonder I drink.

By extension, the alcohol you drink is just a product of zero. Zen physics.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Well done Matt! it really is such a difference working at something you love!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Such a different.
  • ahem...well clearly you are loving your job as a spelling nazi :D
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ahem.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

You sounded like you were keen on that type of work the other day...
    Good luck. : )

On a related note, I still really want to hear what Gurt's saying...
    Software is cool and like the discipline, but hardware products always have a certain allure. 

I reckon a golden age of robotics is forthcoming... All that crazy sci-fi shit will very likely happen in our lifetime (hears' to our good health, etc), and it would be great to be involved in some way. A large part of the art and science of it will probably will be software, but the hardware stuff?...

Yeah...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Thanks guys.  

I've never worked somewhere where I've wanted to stay long term.  Always looking to get out and find something better but a lack of qualifications and direction has left me bouncing from one low paid, dead end job to another.

Maybe photography will be a dead end.  It's a pretty competitive and unforgiving market.  Maybe it'll open doors that I didn't previously know existed.

Either way for the next two years I'll be learning and hopefully meeting interesting people which is always a good thing.  Plus dead-end jobs are always more bearable when you know there's an off ramp.
  • I love that rock paper scissors robot hand video. There's another video or two on youtube of those hyper dextrous robot hands flipping and catching mobile phones by the corners and then bouncing balls between their fingers at insane speeds.

As long as I can get one of these suckers grafted onto my wrsit after arthritis cripples my current hands I have no problem with out future robotic overlords.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'll talk about my robotics thoughts later today for sure. Sorry I haven't so far, fairly busy. It's proper blue sky piepdremage, though I do think the beginning of a golden age is surely almost upon us.
  • More likely we're just coming to the end if one, IMO.

Anyway, if it's tiny, tiny robots that you use like soap to clean yourself, I've already bagsied that idea.
  • I'll talk about my robotics thoughts later today for sure. Sorry I haven't so far, fairly busy. It's proper blue sky piepdremage, though I do think the beginning of a golden age is surely almost upon us.

Until we all inevitably have jobs servicing robots.
  • No, robots will do that.
  • Ach, another day. I need to stop setting deadlines for myself.
  • I have to agree: engineering is an incredibly useful course of study. It could literally take you anywhere.
  • As the son of one of the most qualified aviation engineers in the country I would say at least that side of it is dicked on by financial cunts.
    Same with the car industry.

You can and will do well if you stay sharp and play companies against each, just be prepared to not be a company man.
    Contracting is where the money is.
  • I know people in Australia who routinely go to places like Mongolia and PNG as a result of engineering jobs. Mining obviously is one area where it is in high demand.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!