Skerrite's Thread of Blue Sky Ambition and Silly Piepdrems
  • ... Stupid brain! I'll start tomorrow...
    first-day-repost.png
  • I've got an idea for a game called 'crossy road', i think that could make money.  i just need to go back in time and do it first...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • AJ wrote:
    I want to make another game. Partly off the back of random chance

FTFY

Lol. True true. But that could be my random chance also!
    Plus I need personal validation and reasoning for stuff and wanting someone else's success fits that bill perfunctly

• So, what you going to do?
  • Just Crossy Road but with a different skin.

Jks. Sort of.
    I want to do an infinite runner with similar monetization sensibilities as CR but more along the lines of canabalt. There'll be a bit more to it than that, hopefully, but that's the core of it.
  • Sounds like a decent enough idea. Probably. I know almost nothing about Crossy Road.
  • Infinite frogger with various characters animals and internet memes to play as. High score chasing and unlocking/winning new characters by collecting coins to play a virtual gashapon machine is the mechanic used to keep you playing

Now you know EVERYTHING about the game, no seriously.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • So Crossy Road is an actual game? I thought Ram was referring to Frogger.

I'm just not hip anymore.
  • Fairly certain id posted in here as I love waffling about myself. Goal wouldvhdbecbeen 'stop being a loser.'

Have not succeeded. Good to see Matt get something out of education though, anyone who thinks it's a breeze going back when you're even slightly older is a momo. If anything, it's harder to break certain calcified bits of your brain.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    beano wrote:
    Need to establish the next seven years. Foresight.
    Bean an update if you please

Hi, I meant to do this last year, as I was supposed to finish. I'm no going to finish this year and will set clear goals- the evaluation date is still 2021.

At the moment I seem to have my oar in with promoting "making" as an alternative to didactic teaching in higherEd- ergo I'm helping fuel a debate where makerEd has been put in front of all the Pro-VC's, several deans and is and has appeared on bids in front of the VC's face hole. The motivation at the moment is to get the fuckers to realise that monetisation of undergraduate outputs is not the focus here, maybe 1% of makers take a product to market as they tend to share their designs. There's a core of four of us who are doing the work, we spoke to audiences of over a hundred academics, from across the globe- a lovely lady from Virginia was there, she gets it, what with the White House having their first week of making and MIT ignoring academic successes in favour of Maker Portfolios but our ambassadors insist on more evidence before taking the leap that we're encouraging. I've been busy then you can say, but not following a seven year plan, although it's no time to sundown such.

Glad things are going well for you, Skeg'ed. Remember, you're a womble, I mean the expert.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Happy to hear more, doesn't sound a million miles from our thing.  You could come over, be Queen Bean.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm no victoria, I don't think I can adequately rule more than one continent. But yeah I keep meaning to include Australia in the forthcoming plan. I want to enjoy it before mother nature sinks most of the cities over there and my migrant friends leave.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'd make it quick, intellect is a dwindling resource over here.  Plus it's currently 6 degrees if the heat is wearing thin.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Fairly certain id posted in here as I love waffling about myself. Goal wouldvhdbecbeen 'stop being a loser.'

Have not succeeded. Good to see Matt get something out of education though, anyone who thinks it's a breeze going back when you're even slightly older is a momo. If anything, it's harder to break certain calcified bits of your brain.

I think by the simple fact that you are taking risks and at least trying to achieve a personal dream means you ain't a loser Tempo.

Career suicide, we'll that's another thing entirely.
  • I'm not sure I had a career before tbh. Dead end office work that I hated. But yeah, at least I can say I did it.
  • More your potential future career Tomp

What's the usual path? Write stuff till people know your name?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Fairly certain id posted in here as I love waffling about myself.
    Same. Was sure I'd written something here.

Anyway, ambitions. To do summat that impacts on creative writing in primary schools - I'm a big advocate of giving children the time to write about whatever they want (after giving them a model to work from) and not marking it. Pretty dismayed by some of my kids who know they are good writers because they are a level 4c in their books. I mean, that saddens me greatly. You should know you're good because I read your story out to the whole class or whatever. Bah.

Would like to get a novel published but I find it difficult to stay with an idea and have never got past 20,000 words.... and I've only got that far once.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've been trying for the past 2 years to get a guidance job in school. I know there will be several among you who'd likely think "who'd want to talk to kids", but I do actually care about young people. Plus, it's a promoted post, meaning a fairly substantial pay rise. I've done acting guidance, and for the past two years in school, I've taken, in the times when there was no acting experience, have done unpaid "career opportunities" to keep doing it, including working with UCAS, outside agencies, the University of Glasgow, and forest schools, as well as anti smoking campaigns. Suffice it to say, I've done my share.

I'm currently waiting to hear if I have the new "50%" guidance post that got created at our school after the HMIE report which said that the school had too few guidance teachers for the amount of pupils. It means I would be doing 50% media / English and 50% guidance. A good post, but not my end goal. It does have a proporationate pay rise though.

One of the guidance teachers at my school just got a deputy head job at another school (being a guidance teacher is a good route to eventually being a head in Scotland) so his job will be up in September. I've been told even if I get the 50% job I can go for the full one that will open up when he leaves in September. Opportunities ahoy.

What galls, and this is rather gauche, is when I have people saying "oh, H, this job is yours, disregarding the fact that it's bloody hard to get, and will be open to all teachers in Scotland. I hate that mentality and would rather be the "underdog" as if I do fuck up the interview etc, it's going to be seen as a hell of a failure and I'll have people asking "what happened?" Etc.

BLEURGH.

Anyway - I'm in "believe" mode for this 50% post - sadly, won't find out until we come back after the summer.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Fairly certain id posted in here as I love waffling about myself. Goal wouldvhdbecbeen 'stop being a loser.' Have not succeeded. Good to see Matt get something out of education though, anyone who thinks it's a breeze going back when you're even slightly older is a momo. If anything, it's harder to break certain calcified bits of your brain.
    This is true, going back at 25 wasn't a breeze.  I dominated socially though, kids couldn't touch my advanced vocab styles.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    What galls, and this is rather gauche, is when I have people saying "oh, H, this job is yours, disregarding the fact that it's bloody hard to get, and will be open to all teachers in Scotland. I hate that mentality and would rather be the "underdog" as if I do fuck up the interview etc, it's going to be seen as a hell of a failure and I'll have people asking "what happened?" Etc. BLEURGH.

I got that last time. My office line went early morning on one of the rare days when I was in before noon. It was someone who'd advertised a role the night before on the institutions vacancies page. Sweet talked me into applying. I got called in, after the interview to be told, "I didn't try hard enough." and so they gave it to someone else.
  • Hahaha. BBC did the same thing to me about a decade ago. 

dodged a fucking bullet there

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I feel the same- the project is in tatters. They're looking for volunteers to help finish the job!
  • Karma.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    going back at 25

I thought you were older. How old are you? Not as old as I thought? Thought you were one of mine.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    36 in December.
  • Urrgh age.

I'm finding it hard to describe what I'm working at atm. It's working title is 'stupid'. It's going to be an extremely stupid game. This is how I'm going to make it in the world
  • I'll regret posting this but here's a days work with mah skillz. Long way to go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c251rkuuy0gru1n/testuterr.jpg?dl=0
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No Man's Ski Resort.
  • I might put that in it too
  • In fact, I'll say for A GREAT BIG FACT, that skiing will make it in, somehow. Fact. Thanks for that

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!