Metroid General Thread - The Queen of Video Land
  • JonB wrote:
    They literally just need to redo F-Zero X with a lick of paint. Maybe some online MP. And it won't cost much to make so it won't need to sell massively.

Or use the Mario kart engine. The f-zero track on 150cc is pretty damn good on that. Can't imagine it wouldn't be a good basis for a new f zero game

SFV - reddave360
  • That would bring things full circle. Super Mario Kart started as a multiplayer F-Zero sequel.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I've always thought of Metriod as part of the Nintendo holy trinity (zelda, mario and metriod), but i don't think metriod is part of the trinity and has been replaced by pokemon.

I'd love to have a metriod game with the quality of production on par with Switch Mario and Zelda.

Same here, but I think that's us showing our age. Metroid started as a big seller on NES but dropped straight off.

I don't think that style of game has ever been for the masses.

Sad truth is theres a lot more than PokeMon that they place more importance in than Samus.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I have always thought of that as the Nintendo Trinity not cos of big and sales and all that shit, but game quality. Those three have ways filled my Top 3 one way or another at all times.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Why does it have to be a trinity? Splatoon says the trinity can get tae.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Mario Kart is also more important to Nintendo too.
  • Also Mario kart says fuck you to that. As can Pokemon and smash bros.

Edit: crayon got in before me on that

I get the love for metroid but I wouldn't see it as a top tier Nintendo. More a serious fan favourite.

Don't take that as saying the game isn't great or that super metroid doesn't deserve it's place in history. But for consistency of sales and metric I'd guess the Nintendo top 5 is mainline Mario, Zelda, Mario kart, Pokemon and smash bros.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The real burn is probably Mario Party sneaks ahead of Metroid too ;-)
  • The 'trinity' of Mario, Zelda, Metroid is based on them being the main single-player action/adventure games as much as anything, and traditionally always seemed like the 'big' games that took ages to come out and pushed their genres forward. But of course that's been less true in the last 15 years or so, as Nintendo has developed in other directions.
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • @Jon

Sounds like something that Edge made up for no reason whatsoever.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I mean from personal experience though. I would always feel like a proper new Mario, Zelda or Metroid was a major gaming event, unlike pretty much anything else. Certainly that was the case right up to the Gamecube days, when Sunshine, Wind Waker and Prime came out. It's only after that (and because those were mildly disappointing) that things started to change.
  • Shaddap Jon, it’s the sales that make a game great. Even Nintendogs is bigger and better than Metroid.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • *Cries for f-zero*
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Metroid Prime was and still is the best game that I've ever played. When I played it again on the Wii a couple of years ago I was shocked at how well it still held up, though I miss the GC controls of flicking the C stick to switch weapons, just felt really cool at the time. I'm fine with with locking on and autoaim in FPSs to a degree too, sometimes it's nice to not have twitch reflexes being bottleneck on your skill.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Shaddap Jon, it’s the sales that make a game great. Even Nintendogs is bigger and better than Metroid.
    Metroid has certainly suffered over the years from selling less than those others though. It's also not a Miyamoto creation, which may have given it less stature within the company.

Even sending Prime out to Retro in the first place was a statement that it was of lesser importance, and the various experiments they've done with it since show that it's rarely been a priority.
  • For me Prime seemed really ahead of it's time, particularly in terms of the atmosphere and feel of it. I've been wanting something to take up the mantle for ages, just want to see what could be done on modern hardware. Just give me a varied alien world rich in flora and fauna, and a badass visor and gadgets to experience it all through.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Shaddap Jon, it’s the sales that make a game great. Even Nintendogs is bigger and better than Metroid.

I don't really get this comment, are you suggesting that's the gist of what anyone's said?

Edit: not the Nintendogs thing specifically, obvs
  • No, that is Elfs True Belief.
  • Prime was also a high-point for me. The only game that's probably ever made me care about its lore. It was a coming-together of many things that's just impossible to replicate, HD-graphics or otherwise.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Nintendogs was actually super awesome for a lot of people. And a fairly hefty creative gamble that paid off spectacularly.

We talk about the ideas of trilogies and next in the series etc but we codify small trends sooo rapidly and cast them as ULTRA important at the cost of what actually made them interesting to us in the first place (ie they were unique and interesting).
  • I never saw it as a big Nintendo release. It's a quality range overall bit it doesn't have the same amount of 10s as Zelda or Mario, it doesn't have the sales of Pokemon or smash and doesn't have the universal appeal of Mario kart. Not sure if isolation is quite there yet but it's a bigger contender then metroid.

It's the top of the b-tier and I mean that as a compliment because I'd include the likes of f zero, in there and I love that game in pretty much any of its forms. And while I would defo be up for a switch metroid, i dont see this as being a huge issue if the end result is a tip top game.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'd probably play a Metroid on Switch, I'm even playing Starlink thanks to the handheld thing (I doubt I would've gone near that on PS4 or Bone, even cheap) but I'd rather they binned it completely and gave me a new Mario Golf.
  • I'd rather an f-zero game over metroid. Probably a decent star fox too if it was a possibility.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Im a bit concerned now that Prime 4 is happening to stop fans asking rather than Nintendo wanting to make it.
    Seems a bit rudderless.

The original Trilogy had diminishing returns in terms of sales (therefore interest) but also in quality. The first was definitely the peak.
    Retro seemed to be running low on ideas in the third game despite having new wavy mechanics to use.

I'm questioning my own hype for it.
    Do I really want another Prime game or do I want to go back in time and experience Prime 1 for the first time again?

I don't really remember much of the second game, I could whack that on Dolphin and play through that and it would feel almost new, but I'm not.
  • Echoes is a good yarn, but quite punishing if I recall. Actively toxic environment for most of the first part of the game, lots of frantic scurrying to bubbles of safety. Tough but interesting morph ballmsections as well.

Some really good bosses, like the previously mentioned Quadraxis which has you use basically everything at your disposal to take out a massive robot. The final suit design is very cool too.

I remember very little of Corruption beyond fighting Dark Samus a lot, and yanking shields off enemies.
  • I got it - New super metroid. Return to a 2d model and make things a little easier to welcome the newbies in.

I'm not kidding.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Haven't they tried that twice already?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Haven't they tried that twice already?

Oh really? Ah well, carry on so.

SFV - reddave360
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Other Other M?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!