Metroid General Thread - The Queen of Video Land
  • I think its positive for Metroid but quite sad for Retro Studios, its a bit of a shame they seem to be tied down to Metroid.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Oh dear.
    The Forum Herald™
  • AKA Nintendo realise it's time to make a proper Metroid game and not stick the Metroid badge on any old generic bollocks.

Also, game must have really been bad if they decided it wasn't good enough.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's also a very very long time since Retro made the originals, guessing much of the original talent isn't still there?
  • So this will be out in 2023 then. Good stuff.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • So this will be out in 2023 then. Good stuff.

Yeah, probably a Wii u launch title.

SFV - reddave360
  • That'll teach Nintendo to tease a title screen, I doubt they'll be doing that in a hurry again.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Prime 3 was absolute shite, I have no confidence in this turn of events.
  • Do you think that maybe there was no game and they just flashed a title screen to hype people to get a switch and then realised that people were actually looking forward to it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • A open world Metriod game ala botw would be great.
  • Nah it wouldn't. Metroid thrives on dense mazes.

I mean I'll take a fucking massive dense maze but
  • Yep. Open world seems like a bad idea for Metroid.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I definitely like the idea of them building on what From have done with the exploro-action game format and that's not exactly un-open as worlds go, but the required density is really expensive to do well, needs both very talented level designers and shitloads of playtesting. Even Retro only really did a decent job once, in Prime 1.
  • As much as I like a good Metroid, I'm not sure what I'd want from a new one, and I don't think Nintendo really know what to do with it either. Prime 1 was mostly good because it was a case of recreating the formula in 3D (although it still made a mess of the final quarter). Since then it's been a mess of failed/not entirely successful experiments.
  • The last good Metroid game I played was probably Rain World, for being as least as forbidding as GB Metroid 2.
  • Hard to pick the right wording but I would like them to go more threatening.

I want Samus to be constantly fighting not just the enemies but the world itself.

The Metroid concept is about exploring an unknown world, as Samus on her own. I want them to play on that even more than they have done. Get weirder with it, add more mystery and discovery.

Make scanning more than just filling an encyclopedia. We have seen in games like Arkham how that kind of thing can work. Have Samus use visors to work out hidden routes and basic puzzles to open them up.

The gunplay of the previous trilogy isn't going to cut it now, I wouldn't suggest changing it to be Halo, the opposite. Play down the gunplay and focus on exploration and adventure.
  • I like the gunplay in Metroid, the worry is they'll go regular FPS with it which would be a bad choice. Exploring needs to feature heavy, yeah, but I think the visors were way smarter in MP1&2 than Arkham, which started the worrying trend of "press button to see how to win" that has persisted in every AAA game since. Ghost Visor and Echo Visor were ace, more variants like that please.
  • Yeah, Metroid visors but with extended puzzling like Arkham (So Arkham where you actually have to think) would be perfect.

I have nothing against the gunplay in Prime but I worry the great unwashed will be turned off by it now if it was the main thing in the game. I wouldn't touch it just have less of it.
  • I hope they do well, I would really like to fight against some more Metroid bosses. Quadraxis is owing of inclusion in a top list of bosses, hands down.

I remember people getting absolutely bodied by Meta-Ridley and Prime itself back in the day too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I just want a game like Prime 1 but with more modern controls.

Played through Prime 1 again recently and that control scheme has aged badly.
  • I imagine it has, I just think they should improve on that, rather than going twinstick.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye it'll be glorious if it's more fluid, Prime is very stop/start which the 2D iterations weren't
  • Yeah, fully fledged remake of Prime would do. One of my most enjoyable gaming memories playing through that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Banging music too

• I just want a game like Prime 1 but with more modern controls. Played through Prime 1 again recently and that control scheme has aged badly.

Yep, it really has. 

Moody as fuck with a massive sense of isolation plz as per, but really pretty too.
  • I can't even recall how it worked now.

Can't be as bad as going back to Perfect Dark though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I just want a game like Prime 1 but with more modern controls. Played through Prime 1 again recently and that control scheme has aged badly.
    Yep, it really has.  Moody as fuck with a massive sense of isolation plz as per, but really pretty too.

I tried playing it on the Wii U, but fuck those Wii controls. Terrible idea.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    A open world Metriod game ala botw would be great.

There are more things wrong with that sentence than there are words in it.
  • I missed a final year project meeting cos I was up all night playing Prime. I was quite far in and just stayed up all night to finish it. What a game.

Bosses were all so good, but yeah Ridley was a cunt. Favourite was probably Omega Pirate. Prime herself was decent.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I just want a game like Prime 1 but with more modern controls. Played through Prime 1 again recently and that control scheme has aged badly.
    Yep, it really has.  Moody as fuck with a massive sense of isolation plz as per, but really pretty too.
      I tried playing it on the Wii U, but fuck those Wii controls. Terrible idea.

I really liked the Wiimote control. Same with RE4, although that made it a bit too easy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!