Metroid General Thread - The Queen of Video Land
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    A open world Metriod game ala botw would be great.

There are more things wrong with that sentence than there are words in it.

why? take the total area of hyrule in botw. Make that "outer space", areas in botw could be space stations, moons or planets. Explore them as you wish while progressing the story.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    why? take the total area of hyrule in botw. Make that "outer space", areas in botw could be space stations, moons or planets. Explore them as you wish while progressing the story.

Because it'd be a total mess. How would you even design it? 100 upgrades? Hollow Knight is quite open, but not so much that it's impossibly confusing. It needs to be constricted to work as a Metroid game, otherwise it's just BOTW in space. A BOTW open world cannot, by definition, be a metroidvania game.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I really liked the Wiimote control. Same with RE4, although that made it a bit too easy.

Me too. Flicking the nunchuck to reload in Resi 4 was gorgeous.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:

Its basically not Metroid at that point though.
  • BotW was barely a Zelda game though, when compared to the earlier 3D entries. I was used to enter dungeon, find item for solving new puzzles, merk boss, locate next dungeon and repeat - all the way to Ganon. Open world isn't the direction I'd want for Metroid, but they could do something with it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    BotW was barely a Zelda game though, when compared to the earlier 3D entries.

Closest to the NES original since the NES original, though. "Here's a world, there's a boss in it somewhere, go."
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Pretty much, Swirl. BotW is very much a Zelda game, it just took away the essential dungeon formula. Rest of it is bare Zelda
  • I said 3D innit, but the essential dungeon formula had been core Zelda since 1987. It was a huge shake up in terms of non-linear quest progression and ability assignment (they toyed with a DIY approach in ALBW too). You say bare Zelda, I say barely Zelda.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Metroid thinking forced an innovative rethink of FPS mechanics for Prime and for that alone it deserves a nod as breaking newish ground, so in that spirit and in the time that has passed I'd hope for similarly innovative thinking. It must be a pain in the arse taking an established franchise retaining the elements that make it distinct while also trying to spice it up and take it in new possibly risky directions. New SW films for example, the first one anyway.

Just gimme a plasma x icebeam collab ltd edition series pls
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I really liked the Wiimote control. Same with RE4, although that made it a bit too easy.

Me too. Flicking the nunchuck to reload in Resi 4 was gorgeous.

Same here, it wasn't until the Wii that I manged to play Prime. The GameCube controls felt dated back them let alone now.

At least the Wii mimicked dual analog controls with its setup.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Why not use a similar style to Dark Souls 1 for building of a metroid open like world?
    Power suit upgrade designs could be obtained via key chozo statues littered around the map? Weapons and ammo could be restocked at save points and weapon/armor work shops. Go full 3rd person/1st person twinstick (hard) or z-trigger lock on (easy). Do environmental puzzles with the upgrades and visor. Build a living breathing world with the metroid flora and fauna complete with intelligent AI routines. Have Samus explore multiple planets, she's got a spaceship why not put it to use exploring the galaxy?

Lore wise not sure where the story should be headed though that never stopped Nintendo with Zelda. Hire a good writer and producer to keep everything cohesive from a narrative standpoint, the lore, visual and sound design, world design and of course the core gameplay.

Not gonna be an easy task but not impossible.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Multiple planets would be a misstep IMO, they did it with 3 and it undermines what's best about Metroid: exploring one coherent world.
  • They could also consider implementing an rpg progression system complete with xp (energy?) points and a skill tree?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    skill trees oh god
  • Metroid has always been about getting abilities to use as keys for the next section.
    That being said speedrunners have found ways to sequence break and cut out parts of the game.

Perhaps that could be embraced in a similar way to how Gannon can be fought straight away in BotW.

I'm not sure exactly how that could be done, perhaps with using difficulty as a barrier like in Dark Souls. Abilities could either weaken those barrier enemies, create paths around them or perhaps even enable Samus to use the environment to beat them.

There would be an assumed order to collecting abilities but they could be mixed up, some skipped or all ignored depending in how the player wants to play.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm more for it just being Metroid and not another game following BOTW's formula
  • This is retro what did DK Tropical Freeze right? I have faith in them making good stuff.
  • I think it would be a good chance to revisit what made Metroid good. It’s not just the mechanics (keys and locks) but perhaps a feeling of isolation and threat. In that sense you could pickt that and hammer that as much as possible. When the abilities as keys are the focus you can end up with something as neon and explicitly linear as fusion.

So there is no one thing that makes Metroid that you can say makes a Metroid.

I think an open world a la breath of the wild might be overly empowering and takes away one of Metroids core suits (hoho) which is vulnerability.
  • Perhaps the hard reset on the progress will mean something more streamlined is in the works to get it over the line in the next two years, and maybe the game that got binned was shaping up to be a bit more of a whopper (and didn't quite work). We probably won't get a canned development story for ten years, Nintendo being Nintendo, but it seems more likely they scrapped something over-ambitious that was in a bit of a pickle, rather than a shutting down a Prime sequel for being too Prime.
  • Instead of focusing on Metroid why don't we think about Bandai Namco for a bit?

Namco were huge in the 80s/90s but outside of sequels to their established franchises, what exactly have they done recently?

We're they ever up to this task?

I remember them collaboraring with Nintendo on Star Fox Assault and that wasn't very good tbh. I know they help with Smash Bros but there's a big difference between a helping hand and running the show.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I don't quite understand these collaborations. They seem to keep such a tight reign on them anyway it seem a bit pointless and don't seem very successfully anyway. Prime worked I guess, and maybe Nintendo would never have made a first person, but they don't seem generally fruitful. HAL is so integrated it might as well be in-house but the others?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • F Zero GX and Smash Bros Wii U did ok.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I don't know, GX bombed and pretty much killed the franchise.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The wide range of ideas on here as to where the Metriod franchise should go is really interesting. I wonder if after the sucess of Mario v Rabidds, Nintendo are giving free reign to the studios they are outsoucing the work to. The first studio's work. and ideas just not being up to scratch?

I've always thought of Metriod as part of the Nintendo holy trinity (zelda, mario and metriod), but i don't think metriod is part of the trinity and has been replaced by pokemon.

I'd love to have a metriod game with the quality of production on par with Switch Mario and Zelda.
  • That’s only because not that many people like f zero and the gcn was itself a bomb rather than the inherent quality of the game.
  • That’s only because not that many people like f zero and the gcn was itself a bomb rather than the inherent quality of the game.

I love f-zero, re-introducing it to a new generation of gamers could reinvigorate the franchise. I missed the wii version as i never owned a wii.
  • I don’t think there was a Wii version.
  • That’s why he missed it.
  • They literally just need to redo F-Zero X with a lick of paint. Maybe some online MP. And it won't cost much to make so it won't need to sell massively.
  • So there hasnt been an f-zero game since the Gamecube one? i liked that one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!