Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Or The Producers, Monty Python, Dr.Strangelove...

We agree.

Blimey.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Raiziel wrote:
    A less obvious comedy pick for me would be The ‘Burbs. Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern and Rick Ducommun were just brilliant together, and the idea of bored neighbours whipping themselves up into a fervour and getting up to no good serves up some great comic moments.

YES. It's a superb black comedy. One of Hanks' best.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, I'm a big fan of the 'burbs too. And the Money Pit.
  • We'll go round and round on this but I got thinking of this scene and just how perfect Peter Capaldi is. Nobody does "charming and hilarious, yet utterly terrifying" like him.

• Jaco wrote:
    Or The Producers, Monty Python, Dr.Strangelove...
    We agree. ... Blimey.

We agree on lots of things! Although we don't apparently agree on agreeing.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Jaco wrote:
    No, there are definitely fewer decent comedies around now. I watch heaps of films, new and old, so it's not like I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses here. I can't think of a single comedy from the last 15 years that holds up against Blazing Saddles, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Planes Trains & Automobiles (for instance)...

So 2003 to now?

Anchorman
    Shaun of the Dead
    Hot Fuzz
    Borat
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Zombieland
    Role Models
    Dodgeball
    Team America
    The Other Guys
    Four Lions

And especially for Gav, In The Loop.
  • Could add Wes Anderson stuff in there as well.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Semi-Pro, honest. It's funny as fuck.
  • Jaco wrote:
    No, there are definitely fewer decent comedies around now. I watch heaps of films, new and old, so it's not like I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses here. I can't think of a single comedy from the last 15 years that holds up against Blazing Saddles, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Planes Trains & Automobiles (for instance)...
    So 2003 to now? Anchorman Shaun of the Dead Hot Fuzz Borat Little Miss Sunshine Zombieland Role Models Dodgeball Team America The Other Guys Four Lions And especially for Gav, In The Loop.

Anchorman = passable
    Shaun of the Dead / Hot Fuzz / Borat / Zombieland / Dodgeball = funny, but no classic
    Role Models = not seen it
    Team America = just not funny
    The Other Guys = passable, but not great
    Four Lion = okay

Little Miss Sunshine = yeah, I'll give you that. Superb film.

Don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' has to be mentioned too. Even if just for the vomiting scene.
  • Comedies are differnet now, is the thing, probably due to some studio production system change. They're all over on TV nowadays, rather than film. Still there's been plenty of stuff I have enjoyed since 2000, you just can't expect it to be the old style, because brevity serves comedy well and studios want people sat down for over two hours.

Anyway, funny stuff I've liked since 2000

Boy, What We Do in the Shadows, Thor: Ragnork
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys
    Wet Hot American Summer
    School of Rock
    Borat
    Superbad
    Step Brothers
    In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths
    The Informant!
    Tucker and Dale Vs Evil
    21 Jump Street, 22 Jump Street
    The Lego Movie
    Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
    Four Lions
    In the Loop
    Zoolander
    Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle
    Men and Chicken
    Black Dynamite
    Burn After Reading
    Bridesmaids
    Adaptation
    Frances Ha

Big mixed bag of all sorts of styles and ideas, just not the Zucker aping 6 jokes a minute format.

Few of them would be 'classics' but then neither were the films we think of as classics when they were still in recent memory.
  • First time I've seen Tucker & Dale mentioned in this chat, was a good one.  

Also: Lego Batman, I enjoyed that.
  • The secret best comedy in that list is Popstar of course.

Such a brilliant skewering of the modern pop idol culture. The sections parodying TMZ with Will Arnett, Chelsea Peretti and Eric Andre are fucking hilarious.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nostalgia is a hell of a drug
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s a fair few films being mentioned here that I wouldn’t have classed as comedies, personally speaking.
  • Comedy is a weird one cos it can be a suffix or the whole thing. I am generally just thinking of films that are funny, as opposed to out and out comedy films, because I think the production market for flat out comedy has been deflated somewhat by TV comedy.

Heck, I'd stick a film like Adaptation. in a list of comedies because I think it's hilarious, even though it doesn't really attempt to be a comedy quite often. But it's written well, and very funny, even if it's more conceptual humour than gag/punchline.

Every film I listed is intentionally funny at least, even if it's black comedy.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Maybe you're all just, you know, old?
  • I'm old AND fat.

:-(
  • Big up the man Tempestora with The List of Hits!
  • Ooh, some great stuff in that list Temps.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Must. Not. Bite. At. TLJ. Jibes... Gnnnnnnn...

Some light spoilers below.

I don't reeeeeally want to start the whole thing up again but I watched TLJ for the first time since release the other day and I think it is genuinely a great film. Flawed sure but which Star Wars is perfect. Okay maybe the first two but still.

Having already seen it once meant that the slightly iffy stuff that surprised on first viewing (Leia moment, some of the dodgy dialogue lines, the heavy handed elements of Canto Bight, Finn's story not continuing from the first much, the action beats aimed at the fans of the prequels) didn't really get to me in a negative way and I was able to enjoy it for all the good story stuff it does without caring that it wasn't quite what I wanted after Awakens. 

And it really does some great Star Wars story stuff. Every bit with Kylo and Rey is great in how it muddies the light/dark pull of the force, the way it defuses the typical Star Wars masculine heroics is great (Poe mansplaining to Holdo and also expecting to be told everything because he's a man hero, Finn taking ownership of Rose's plan, the fact that their standard heroic actions is what ruins the Rebels plan which would have worked), most of the comedy is great (Porgs much love, caretakers is wonderful physical comedy, the "I don't want to do this right now""me either" force meld moment, the "I've seen your daily routine, you're not busy" line, Adrian Edmonson and Hux, space iron), how it manages to completely wipe midiclorians from the face of the Star Wars universe and return the force to everyone, adding more muddiness to how the world of Star Wars runs with the Benicio Del Toro character (also great) and how the universe profits from the Rebels fighting the Empire, that it realised the shit from the first film that didn't matter and wouldn't have made for an interesting film and also how to fill in what had been set up from FA (Who could Rey's parents be that would have been interesting other than nobodies?, Snoke not being expanded upon because Kylo was always going to be the better villain, Luke's reasons for hiding himself away) and finally there's some absolutely stunning visuals (opening space battle, dark side tunnel mirror thing, hyperspace blast, Snoke throne room fight).

Star Wars was a massive part of my childhood but I don't really hold any of it to some great perfection standard where I'll flip my shit if it's not the way I want it (hallllooooooooooo angry internet nerds who hate women). I'm not trying to convince anyone that they have to like it either. I certainly was hoping for a different film initially. But I'm really glad that Disney actually said "fuck it" and let someone do whatever they wanted and made something that was interesting and also so divisive because if it was just another safe but fun Force Awakens type film then I think even more people would have been disappointed. 

Although the biggest disappointment is that with FA being Han's film and TLJ being Luke's film then ep 9 was probably going to be Leia's film and I think there could have been some really great stuff with that. Especially having scenes with Kylo and her and all that would entail. It's a shame we'll never get to see that.

I'm sorry Hair, I hope I haven't ruined your Christmas.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The secret best comedy in that list is Popstar of course. Such a brilliant skewering of the modern pop idol culture. The sections parodying TMZ with Will Arnett, Chelsea Peretti and Eric Andre are fucking hilarious.

The Equal Rights song in that had me in tears. Just perfect.

I was in a raw place while I watched it but I also thought Grimsby was fantastically stupid and gross and I laughed a lot which I needed at the time.
  • Bird Box

Apocalypse horror with bullock .. I enjoyed it although it stretches credibility at certain points
    The Forum Herald™
  • Big love to Shabs. Shabs knows. o/
  • Napoleon Dynamite is great fun. 
    Bad Santa had mem aughing out loud on a train back to Liverpool for Xmas once.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Popstar is tonight's viewing then, it's on Netflix.  Will open my Dark Matter rum.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Shabba my friend I respectfully disagree with your reassessment and don’t hate women, some of them are not bad at all.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I quite like some of the popstar songs
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Good points shabby. That sums up my opinion quite nicely too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!