Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Tempy wrote:
    TBF Rouj I think most blockbusters fail your criteria by a far stretch.

It’s a funny one because there’s nothing special about a big budget kids film being an incoherent, unenjoyable, slap dash mess and insulting to the intelligence. It’s just the weight of its legacy which, despite the prequels, still carried some expectation that these films will be good and well-made and treat the licence ‘properly’ (ie in line with a whole load of differing and impossible to meet expectations).
  • The last line there is key I feel. TLJ seems to have repainted TFA as unanimously loved. Also I wouldn’t consider myself thick and I still liked TLJ. I think it was a film for a certain type of person.

And heck, people are still talking about it.
  • A Star Wars movie that subverted the tropes of Star Wars would be a welcome thing, if it wasn't in the middle of a trilogy.
    The expectations were bread crumb trailed throughout FA.

Imagine if Empire ended with the Emperor dead. Vader crying, Leia being saved and nearly kissing Lobot while Han was on a Moncalamari cruiser arguing with Admiral Ackbar.
  • I dunno, you're probably right though Temps. I think this is by far the egregious case I can remember since Avatar, but like I said I don't get out much and I'm not a film buff. Am I wrong to expect the most expensive films ever made to at least be competently put together though? 

I'm kind of annoyed that TLJ still irks me so much to this day tbh.

I do think that there may have been a decline in storytelling at the expense of visual effects, particularly in big budget films over the years and that nowadays maybe people just accept it as a thing. Which is fine really, to each their own. But I have neither the time nor the credentials or experience to go and watch a load of films and really dig into what they're doing, also that's not saying that older films were perfect in the past either, but perhaps that we have come down a notch or two over the years, however at the same time, the budgets on modern blockbusters are still beyond the budgets of older movies even accounting for inflation I would imagine. 

It just sucks that all this development in making visually appealing worlds, or convincing virtual effects that pass as practical and there doesn't seem to have been the same care or time paid to the storytelling, in big movies at least. 

If anyone feels like my previous post was having a pop at them, it wasn't, just the internet reaction at large to TLJ. I loved TFA for what it's worth, even though it was the JJ Abrhams Star Trek of Star Wars, I think it's the best in the series after Empire. 

Basically I'm saying that it's xmas and at some point Babe is going to be on TV and Babe is a film about a pig that lives on a farm and overcomes his differences and obstacles and the mocking from of his peers to achieve his little piggy dream. I feel more for Babe the pig who lives on a farm and herds sheep than I do for every single member of the cast of TLJ with the exception of Kylo Ren and now I want a Kylo x Babe crossover of some kind. Netflix commision any old shite these days I should probably email them, or find an aspiring web comic guy to draw it for below minimum wage, maybe even a competent fanfic person out there would do it for the bants?

Imagine, Kylo Ren, hurt, broken, confused. Babe, a little piglet with great hair, and a lot of piggy courage and the will to overcome his challenges no matter what. The two cross paths somewhere, maybe a space sheep herding contest, and Kylo Ren sees the little piggy not letting anything get him down even though it's hard cos he's an orphan piggy, just like Kylo is. Kylo takes Babe under his wing to save him from an evil space butcher shop window or something because the international space sheep dog federation think Babe is making a mockery of their srs bsnss. At first Kylo swears he will crush the international space sheep dog federation for their insolence and their intolerance of Babe, just because he isn't like the other jedi kids, er I mean pigs, but over the course of their adventures, his world view is changed by Babe's much more gentle outlook, live and let live, don't listen to the others Kylo, you don't have to be like your granddad to be a successful guy or get respect. In the end, they settle down on a small moon somewhere and open a sweet ass farm that quickly becomes the talk of the local star system. Babe spends his days herding space sheep in exhibitions that draw crowds from all over, and Kylo Ren becomes a renowned literary figure and artist, writing touching poetry about his time on the moon with his four legged friend and all that he learned and also a great artist whose paintings wow audiences with their vivid contrasting depictions of sleepy farm life in the shadow of a tumultuous fury from his past. 

The end. 

I love you Babe the pig (and Kylo Ren).
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I still think everything Abrams teased in TFA was just pulled out of his lazy ass. Any follow up by a different director was stuck trying to put his stuff together, it’s a rubbish way of running things and JJ is a divt too. I think Empire is full of twists on your expectations (I refute this subversion patter) too, which is precisely why it’s the most enjoyable one.

Vader’s back after being pinged into space at the end of ANH. It opens with a slog of a land battle and has almost zero dogfighting in it. The secret Jedi master is a fucking grumpy muppet and? Vader is the good guy’s dad? Everybody loses and it ends with them moping on a medical frigate?

I doubt at the time anyone expected any of this stuff, and Lucas was almost certainly winging it, but history is awfully revisionary when it comes to beloved franchises.
  • That’s the thing though Rouj no mater how many times people rag on it, I can’t help but see TLJ as a smartly put together film that understands how to tell an interesting that is utterly failed by the universe it’s telling its story in.

Except for Canto Bight being a bit saggy, it’s hard to forgive that. But I still love the fact they miss their codebreaker and get a snake instead.
  • Anyway it’s an interesting one. The way films are deconstructed these days is interesting.

Tangent, but any time I think about this new wave of internet led film crit is in mind it makes me remember all those “Thanos plan is dumb!” videos and articles I keep seeing that make me want to punch my own brain into a fine paste. Suddenly this year people decided villains needed to be reasonable. Man’s built a murder gauntlet!
  • And now I have to go and lug alcohol around a pub for 6 hours. Laters haters!
  • Use the force dumby.
  • How about I watch it over Xmas and give the definitive impartial badger verdict and that's it?

Can someone send me the BR?
  • It's on Netflix if that helps. (Iirc)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Temps lost me when he called the Battle of Hoth a slog.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I don’t mean it’s a slog to watch, at all.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Glad to hear it!
  • Temps lost me when he called the battle on Hoth a slog.

It is a slog, it goes on for a long time and it's trench warfare and tank battles but given a sci-fi twist. 

It's a far cry from the space dog fighting of ANH and is a departure from the viewer expects when they watch it for the first time.

Edit: Too slow. I should not have started watching Babe before I started typing this post.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Tempy wrote:
    The last line there is key I feel. TLJ seems to have repainted TFA as unanimously loved. Also I wouldn’t consider myself thick and I still liked TLJ. I think it was a film for a certain type of person.

I don’t really stand by that insulting to the intelligence thing. No offence intended. There are plot holes etc but the faults of the movie are a world away from the sort of crap you get with some lazy cash grab flick. TLJ wasn’t lazy or anything.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    It is a slog, it goes on for a long time and it's trench warfare and tank battles but given a sci-fi twist. 

Yeah, I remember looking at my watch thinking FFS get on with the muppet show.

And the ANH dogfights aren’t re-skinned WW2 plane battles given a sci-fi twerk?

Edit: Woah, two large Margarita’s and I’m getting feisty. Time to cool it, compliments of the season bro.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Strangers: Prey at Night. Hmmm. Bit of a let-down really after the supremely atmospheric first film. Has a weird eighties boner for no other reason than what: the fact that it’s a slasher? Just set it in the eighties and be done with it, otherwise it just comes across as odd. Also, it’s about as scary as an episode of Murder, She Wrote.
    Get schwifty.
  • monkey wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    The last line there is key I feel. TLJ seems to have repainted TFA as unanimously loved. Also I wouldn’t consider myself thick and I still liked TLJ. I think it was a film for a certain type of person.

I don’t really stand by that insulting to the intelligence thing. No offence intended. There are plot holes etc but the faults of the movie are a world away from the sort of crap you get with some lazy cash grab flick. TLJ wasn’t lazy or anything.

I didn’t think you meant any!
  • Roujin wrote:
    Yeah, I remember looking at my watch thinking FFS get on with the muppet show. And the ANH dogfights aren’t re-skinned WW2 plane battles given a sci-fi twerk? Edit: Woah, two large Margarita’s and I’m getting feisty. Time to cool it, compliments of the season bro.

Yeah they were. I wasn't complaining about the Hoth battle, just sayin' it was a variation on the theme is all. Tying in with what Temps said about the things ESB does that don't follow a viewers pre-conception of what they might expect during the film. Like what TLJ did.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You star wars men are very serious men
  • I’m not!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I like green ranger but pink ranger is hot.
  • I had a huge crush on the pink ranger as a child
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • You star wars men are very serious men

you know me DS, i’ll talk about pop culture anywhere but where it’ll get me paid
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I had a huge crush on the pink ranger as a child

Pervert
  • Roujin wrote:
    (in a film that is set up to sell porg lunchboxes to kids)
    You said it. So why give it a moment's thought? A new Star Wars film is going to be fun and forgettable, or not fun and forgettable. Either way it's forgettable. It's full of plot holes? So was the one before. You're not supposed to think about it. It's a dumb waay to pass a couple of hours. And if you'd seen the original films first as an adult they'd be the same too. We were kids when we watched those - that's why they were so amazing. It's never coming back.
  • I had a huge crush on the pink ranger as a child

Pervert

Yea maybe I should’ve thought about how I worded that...

• We’ve been watching crap Hallmark-style Christmas movies. One of them today had Linda Hamilton as the star / main love interest. It was 100% wholesome and twee but I still kept expecting her to rip off the twinset cardigan and go on an ass-kicking spree, because Linda Hamilton. It was bizarre.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!