regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Watching tlj with the parents tomorrow. my abiding memory was of a 3 1/2 star movie, good but not great. But considering I disliked solo and rogue one who fucking would ever even agree with me
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I quite enjoyed The Last Jedi, but then I went into it with very low expectations. It’s The Force Awakens that’s a massive pile of poodoo.
    Get schwifty.
  • I still haven’t watched Solo, because I don’t want to. I’m not 100% sure why anyone does. Rogue One is one of the best Star Wars films out of the lot of them, though. Certainly in the top 3.
  • Solo is a cynical and disgusting piece of shit film. It’s a gurning film, it’s the guy in the pub who says the sexist joke a second time because nobody laughed at the shit joke and he assumed no one got it.
  • Rewatching the Dark Knight trilogy. Batman Begins tonight. Nolan absolutely knocks it out the park - far and away the best superhero origin flick I’ve seen (only Ant-Man comes close IMO). Perfect tone for the character.

Tomorrow, the Dark Knight. Cannot wait.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Genuinely find that trilogy to be the most overhyped on recent memory. Passable action nonsense.
  • I just want to jump in and remind everyone that even though TLJ is shit, that doesnt mean we should forget JJ Abrams is a hack, and should never be allowed near a film again. Despite this, he will be helming Episide XI, which is another guaranteed turd.
  • Fucking Trek nerds.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I want to jump in a remind everyone (i.e. Jim) that The Dark Knight Rises is a steaming pile of shite.
  • Kow wrote:
    I want to jump in a remind everyone (i.e. Jim) that The Dark Knight Rises is a steaming pile of shite.
    I always claim it is good then remember I haven't watched it since the cinema and only thought it was ok then.
    I just like doing Bane voice enough to justify it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    After the first two being so good, I thought maybe it was just me watching it wrong or something. But no, it's shite.
  • No, you're right, its shit.
  • Just out of curiosity, does anyone that frequents the movie thread actually like any movies?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes, just good ones.
  • Subjectivity FTW once more.
  • Shabba my friend I respectfully disagree with your reassessment and don’t hate women, some of them are not bad at all.

Wasn't saying everyone who dislikes TLJ hates women, was more talking about the overly vocal scum who didn't like it because it wasn't what they wanted then proceeded to bully people like Rose until they shut themselves away. Those are the people that need to reevaluate their lives.
    You're just someone who didn't get on with the film and that's okay.
  • Also I said I didn't want to start up the fight again.
    didn't!

But blockbusters are an interesting topic. I feel like if anything a blockbuster isn't going to stand up to much scrutiny because it's so manufactured to make it's considerable budget back and so generally that means lots of fingers in the creative pie from producers and writers and studios etc to make sure the spread of potential viewers is as high as possible. Which generally works to the detriment of the film.

That's why it's neat to see a film like TLJ or even Infinity War where the brands are so well established now that they can kinda play a bit with it and make something that doesn't gel with everyone and that does some unexpected things. Things that might not work for some people but that's okay.
    The alternative would be to have more Force Awakens (which I enjoyed) and continue to make sure that all the touchstones are there for everyone who is going to see a Star War.
  • Kow wrote:
    After the first two being so good, I thought maybe it was just me watching it wrong or something. But no, it's shite.

Batman Begins and Dark Knight are great. DKR is just abit shit. Tbh, its difficult to follow up on the DK due to Heath Ledger performance as Joker and his passing.

DKR has Bane, who doesn't break Batman's back in the movie. The single act in Bane's character history that makes him famous in the Batman universe. DKR should have finished with Bane crippling Batman. A shot of depressed and broken Bruce Wayne in a wheelchair and then Sopranos style fade to black. The end, a bleak end. One that would have driven cinema goers mad and resulted in endless column inches of theory and conjecture.

Gotham is a dark and horrible place, theres a reason why it needs the Batman.

On a sidenote, The White Knight comic could make for a very interesting movie, but it would need a gelluva good actor to play joker and a director of the calibre of nolan to do it justice.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone that frequents the movie thread actually like any movies?

I was just wondering this.
    I loved all three of the Dark Knight trilogy, particularly loved The Dark Knight Returns, thought Bane was an excellent villain and the film contained some excellent action sequences. Seeing Bane and Batman go to toe to toe in such a brutal fashion was just what I wanted.

I sometimes wonder if either I’m too easily pleased or some of you are just too damn picky
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I don't remember DKR that well, except that the plot was incoherent and the twists were dumb. I've forgotten the action sequences. It was a bad film.

Conversely, The Dark Knight is a good film. And Begins was decent too.
  • Did you watch the film, Dino? Bane does break Batman's back. It's an integral part of the plot...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bane squeezed Bats, alright.

DV5ncGpm.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • some of you are just too damn picky

It’s this. We are talking about comic book movies / blockbusters after all. Not Malick’s latest art-house chin-stroker.
  • Did you watch the film, Dino? Bane does break Batman's back. It's an integral part of the plot...

Yeh i did and am a big batman fan. The scene lost all gravitas when the guy punches Batman's disk back into place if I remember correctly. I stand by my own thoughts that the movie shiulf have ended with him in a wheelchair.
  • Jaco wrote:
    some of you are just too damn picky

It’s this. We are talking about comic book movies / blockbusters after all. Not Malick’s latest art-house chin-stroker.

No, there are just shit comic book movies / blockbusters.

I like JCVD films, because they know they are nonsense and revel in it. Dark Knight Rises thinks its a chin stroker. Its just a bad movie, which is amplified by proximity to the other two.
  • Recently finished rewatching dark knight trilogy, used them to christen the 4K telly. I enjoyed them all, and the last one was better than I remembered.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • While we’re on Nolan, finished watching interstellar last night. That was still good too.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Did you watch the film, Dino? Bane does break Batman's back. It's an integral part of the plot...
    Yeh i did and am a big batman fan. The scene lost all gravitas when the guy punches Batman's disk back into place if I remember correctly. I stand by my own thoughts that the movie shiulf have ended with him in a wheelchair.
    Still broke his back, apparently. I'm nitpicking but that's because I'm a monster.

I don't disagree that would have been a more interesting ending.
  • Jaco wrote:
    some of you are just too damn picky
    So there aren't good and bad comic book movies?
  • Nolan is absolutely horrible at action, which undermines the whole thing. I think it looking so good amplifies the problem, expectations are raised and then dashed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!