Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • My dad stuck on TLJ out of the blue when I was there and I watched it and enjoyed it for the second time too. Should be a trailer for 9 appearing soon I’d hazard.
  • Counterpoint - you're both wrong.
  • I enjoyed it more the first time, before I started thinking about it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It’s just Snoke and mirrors mate.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Shabs, Goobs and Temps are correct. The rest of you are deeply, sadly, tragically mistaken.

Edit: Temps - ep. IX trailer rumoured to land before the new year. Don’t expect it to tell us much though - JJ is the master of secrecy and misdirection.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I reckon it will have lightsabers in it.
  • By master you mean, incapable right?
  • Just put a honking lens flare onto the screen. That will cover things up.
  • It won't have Mark Hamill in it that's for sure. AYOOOOO!

Edit: Forgot to add the air-horn sound effect and dabbing
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Still not seen TLJ. Or Solo.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Keep it that way lad
  • TLJ worth one single watch for the absolute widest unit in the galaxy.

Solo, nolo.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    It won't have Mark Hamill in it that's for sure. AYOOOOO!

Edit: Forgot to add the air-horn sound effect and dabbing
    He might be.

He voiced this guy.
    dobbu-scay-star-wars-the-last-jedi-42.7.jpg

Who may be back in a mega twist reveal as Rey's father.
  • REYS PARENTS SHOULDNT HAVE EVEN BEEN MENTIONED GOD WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY DOING WHEN THEY WROTE TLJ. 200 MILLION DOLLARS.
  • Sometimes I reckon all a lot of Star Wars fans want, instead of a good film, is the the satisfaction of their conspiracy brain ejaculations spoon fed back to themselves.
  • I really don’t get all this TLJ hate. I mean I can understand a little disappointment at a film but the active hate going on in here is a little silly IMO.

It really wasn’t that bad! And I’m the biggest Star Wars fan I know. Aside from Verecocha.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Quite possibly.
    Its a bit like a "who done it?" movie.
    You want the bread crumb trail to be layed out but not too obviously, so you feel clever at the end.

What nobody wants is a director thinking he is smart by subverting every and all expectation and the film be damned.
  • I had an expectation that I’d probably enjoy the film and he subverted the hell out of that one.
  • What Star Wars needs is clarity of vision. This writing and directing model doesn't work with Star Wars, it's all over the place.

I'm not saying Lucas's later efforts were better, because they weren't, but young Lucas at the reigns with him and others directing was the best.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Well they’ve given Johnson a full trilogy.
  • Boris?
  • RLMSubverting.txt
  • Boris?

He's currently slimming down so he can play a Hutt.
  • Well they’ve given Johnson a full trilogy.
    This won’t happen.
  • I liked that the subversion the Star Wars formula which was people being moved pillar to post to squeeze into the desired story. Instead it felt like people pursuing natural instincts and situations which... while they often lead no where in terms of plot they absolutely had bearing on the people inside them.

Poe goes on an idiotic one man band goose chase which is absolutely necessary because Poe being Poe would go on a one man hero trajectory even though we know, in most cases, it’s a fucking dumb thing to do.
  • Sometimes I reckon all a lot of Star Wars fans want, instead of a good film, is the the satisfaction of their conspiracy brain ejaculations spoon fed back to themselves.
    LivDiv wrote:
    Quite possibly. Its a bit like a "who done it?" movie. You want the bread crumb trail to be layed out but not obviously so you feel clever at the end. What nobody wants is a director thinking he is smart by subverting every and all expectation and the film be damned.

This. Exactly this. 

Actually trying to criticise TLJ for it's terribly placed attempts at humour, it's naff insertion of new things/ideas that make the obstacles characters have to overcome in previous films completely trivial, it's ham fisted attempts at trying to convey themes like capitalism is bad (in a film that is set up to sell porg lunchboxes to kids) and it's contrived set pieces like the main chase, the race against time for finn to kamikaze into the laser before it warms up, the use of death by getting lost in your own monologue for Snoke, is impossible, because dribbling SW fans on both sides of the opinion divide are either coming out with random stupid misogynistic hate or just saying things like "I thought it was fine wtf are people so mad about".

I don't care that Rey can do all this shit with the force, I don't care that Kylo Ren isn't an edgelord, I don't care that Poe Dameron got told off by a female superior officer, I don't care that Leia used the force like that. 

What I do care about, is that imho, this is a badly written and badly thought out movie. Any movie that had this much cash pumped into it, has no right turning out something that is "Meh, it's okay." or "I was entertained by the action." it should be a film that is able to stand up to mild scrutiny of it's plot, the behaviour of it's characters and it's place as part of an ongoing series of movies. IMHO, this film falls way short of the mark and I'm not even a film buff because I'm on the last page telling you guys I like Will Ferrel movies.
  • Will Ferrell might be in the next one because THAT'D BE MENTAL.
  • He is also going to be Rey's father.
  • shutupandtakemymoney.gif
  • TBF Rouj I think most blockbusters fail your criteria by a far stretch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!