Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I WILL WATCH THIS BULLSHIT
    Is that the dragon lady? Strange trailer that doesn't name check the cast.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It name checks Emma Thompson.

The guy from Crazy Rich Asians is probably more bankable than Clarke fwiw Tho.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It name checks Emma Thompson. The guy from Crazy Rich Asians is probably more bankable than Clarke fwiw Tho.
    Yeah, but it namechecks her as the writer. Also I don't know what a Crazy Rich Asians is, so that's maybe why I don't know the guy.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It has unreleased songs by George Michael. Does the trailer mention that? I dont want to watch the trailer.
  • Just back from '...Hollywood', it's really good. Won't say much else as I went in almost completely blind and feel it's better that way, but there's not much not to like about it, even for the Tarantino haters.

One thing that's worth noting, there's stuff to watch during the credits at the end.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Do I need to have seen Endgame to get the most out of it?
  • No but it might be worth at least seeing the post credits scene from Ant Man and the Wasp.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rewatched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on BluRay.

Still a remarkable piece of work.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I just saw the new movie by the people that made Goodnight Mommy. It's called The Lodge and I think it's possibly the worst film I've ever seen. I actually didn't know it was those filmmakers before seeing it. I think knowing would have made it worse because I actually like GM.
    I've never been so keen for a film to end. Everything in this movie was either wholly derivative or poorly executed. They stole so many ideas from better movies but did them poorly. I'm talking straight ripoff.
    All the story beats, apart from one, felt unearned. The whole thing was either shot too dark or overblown so I'm not sure if the DP has made a film before.

I'm actually surprised at how much I hated it. I didn't think I could ever not enjoy a movie this much.

And I've seen some b-grade shockers

I'm sorry DS. Maybe I'm wrong and you'll love it.
  • The always excellent Accented Cinema channel has put up a 50 Chinese-language movies to watch before you die list.

Well worth checking it out and there's now no excuses. I expect everyone here to watch them all and write a report. Chop chop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5up8nHDfddM
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is it true Tarantino is quitting after this 10th film?

Cue the box set completionists getting rimmed.
  • davyK wrote:
    Is it true Tarantino is quitting after this 10th film?

Cue the box set completionists getting rimmed.

He might even tap out at 9 if you believe some rumours. OUATIH is getting verall good praise and some think he might prefer to go out on top. Certainly if he were to nab an Oscar he might just call it a day
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watching the new Avengers. Utter shit as ever but looks amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I started off as a bit of a Tarantino fanboy. Enjoyed everything up to and including Jackie Brown.

Kill Bill was where it went wrong for me.

Liked Basterds and Django though.
  • 1. Reservoir dogs
    2. Pulp fiction
    3. Hateful eight
    4. Kill Bill part 1 and 2 (I think he counts these as one film)
    5. Django unchained
    6. Inglorious basterds
    7. Jackie brown
    8. Death proof

Off the top of my head. All at least an enjoyable watch for me and several watched several times. The top 2 could be swapped around with little complaint.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Jackie Brown is his best. Masterpiece.

Death Proof is the only bad film he's done.
  • I’d keep that list more or less, but I really didn’t enjoy hateful eight, would shuffle that down to just above JB. New one would be straight in at 3.
  • Should Dusk til Dawn be counted as Tarantino? Didn’t he direct the first half?
  • Jackie Brown is his best. Masterpiece. Death Proof is the only bad film he's done.
    Yeah this.
    I can take or leave Kill Bill 1 and 2 but neither are bad films.

I was playing through GTAV recently and noticed the flat Trevor cuckoos has the same layout as Samuel L's place in Jackie Brown.
  • 1. Jackie Brown
    2. Dogs / Fiction
    3. The rest

Tbh I haven't really seen the rest as much to make a proper order. Certainly can imagine Basterds being higher up than most of the others. The Prince Charles did a podcast on his back catalogue a couple of weeks ago, was a good listen.
  • He always said 10 films but it wouldn't surprise me if he quit at 10 then came back after a lengthy hiatus.
  • The always excellent Accented Cinema channel has put up a 50 Chinese-language movies to watch before you die list. Well worth checking it out and there's now no excuses. I expect everyone here to watch them all and write a report. Chop chop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5up8nHDfddM

Thanks man. I’ve seen quite a few of those. Glad to see Yi Yi and Farewell My Concubine in there.

Just when I thought it was finished and they had missed my favourite... it appeared as their favourite! Woohoo! Although I’d put Chungking Express in there too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    1. Jackie Brown
    2. Dogs / Fiction
    3. The rest

Tbh I haven't really seen the rest as much to make a proper order. Certainly can imagine Basterds being higher up than most of the others. The Prince Charles did a podcast on his back catalogue a couple of weeks ago, was a good listen.

This is the list. nick is also right that IB is above others.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    my list from twitter sent to muggins

Jackie Brown
    Hateful Eight
    Pulp Fiction
    Inglorious Basterds
    Kill Bill Vol 1
    Reservoir Dogs
    Django
    Kill Bill Vol 2
    That ER episode

Everything

Death Proof
  • The only good thing about Death Proof was Planet Terror and the grind house trailers that wouldn't have happened without Tarantino's name lumped in along with Death Proof.

Which led to this...

and this...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That 6 months or so when Machete was double dropped and every cunt went ballistic
  • Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    (Honourable mention: True Romance)
    Inglorious Basterds
    Reservoir Dogs
    Kill Bill Vol 1
    Kill Bill Vol 2
    Django
    Hateful Eight
    Death Proof

Saw the new one last night, but not sure where it lives on the list yet. Think I didn't enjoy it as much as others seemed to have. Looking forward to watching again at some point though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!