Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • "About that" implies that Reg is wrong, ergo the movie will lose those Chinese dollars, ergo you understood that the reaction would be critical of China.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Maybe it was a poorly worded post, but it was about Reg saying the film was going to do gang busters, and oh, here's a story that suggests it might not if this proposed boycott gets traction. I'm not sure what you think I angle is here. I couldn't give a fuck about the film or the actor. That's probably why I didn't do a great job of the post. I just thought that, considering there had been mention of the film in this thread, it was an article people might want to read.
  • Grindhouse where they literally cut chunks of the film out of death proof and planet terror are really good ways of watching those movies.

It's the original intended version of both of those segments. Tarantino and Rodriguez didn't realise that nobody knew what Grindhouse was anymore when they released it in that format in the US. It bombed and so they edited in additional footage they'd shot and released them as full length separate films in the international market

Its great watching Grindhouse at the cinema. With all those silly trailers too. DON'T! DON'T! DON'T!
  • Goober is a Chinese Nationalist! I knew it!!!
  • Grindhouse where they literally cut chunks of the film out of death proof and planet terror are really good ways of watching those movies.

It's the original intended version of both of those segments. Tarantino and Rodriguez didn't realise that nobody knew what Grindhouse was anymore when they released it in that format in the US. It bombed and so they edited in additional footage they'd shot and released them as full length separate films in the international market

Its great watching Grindhouse at the cinema. With all those silly trailers too. DON'T! DON'T! DON'T!
    I watched then all on youtube the other night.

I think Eli Roth's Thanksgiving is my favourite. The voiceover is super creepy.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    So anyway after the last page of lol, new Tarantino today, hyped.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Grindhouse where they literally cut chunks of the film out of death proof and planet terror are really good ways of watching those movies.

I watched then all on youtube the other night.

I think Eli Roth's Thanksgiving is my favourite. The voiceover is super creepy.

There's an old revival style cinema in Melbourne that shows old film prints and so on. The old 30s design of the building and theatre space with its shitty seats helped to sell the illusion of watching something from the 70s
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This may be a @ds alert, but both flora and I have decided we want to watch a SCARY movie tonight. This doesn't need to be violent (although it can be coz that's my bag)

For comparisons sake we have mentioned REC and The Wailing as the kind of thing we are after. Any help?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    This may be a @ds alert, but both flora and I have decided we want to watch a SCARY movie tonight. This doesn't need to be violent (although it can be coz that's my bag)

For comparisons sake we have mentioned REC and The Wailing as the kind of thing we are after. Any help?

Atterados aka Terrified.

It's on Shudder.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched The Void last night.  Good eightiesesque horror.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Forbidden Planet from my BluRay pile of shame.

What a wonderful hodge podge it is. From the hokey dialogue, humour and stereotypes , through the interesting story and conclusion, to a splendid design and set of effects. It makes for an effective package that is ahead of its time. This must have been an incredible experience back in the day.

Some natty Disney animation in there. I doubt a CGI-laden remake would be as effective. 

It has a creepy feel to it throughout too. Doom laden even. The use of electronic sounds in place of a traditional soundtrack playing its part in this.

Great stuff.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Indeed.  Watched that a while back myself.  The soundtrack is something else.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm watching Hollywood thingy this week iirc
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Hollywood is Tarantino's second worst film. Doesnt mean it's bad, it's just alright.

First two hours iis a.meandering, self important mess. The last 40.monutes is glorious and is a fucking triumph and is Tarantino at his best.

Di Caprio and Pitt give.outstanding performances. Robbie is good but not in it much.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I enjoyed it. Found it funny.
    One of his most intentionally comedic films.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Theres some great moments throughout. First couple hours in general is some of his worst stuff though.
  • Just seen it. Yep. First 2 hours draaaaaaagged. Some vintage stuff in there mixed in with some dull stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I really enjoyed the whole thing.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    a.meandering, self important mess

That's a Tarantino film alright.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ticked No Country For Old Men off my list. Had never seen it all the way through.

Quality bit of film. Love the Jones homesy dialogue.

Tarantino , like many directors, would probably do better if the current love affair with longer films ended.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Theres some great moments throughout. First couple hours in general is some of his worst stuff though.

Any film that the above phrase can apply to is almost always a
    Kow wrote:
    a.meandering, self important mess

• The Kubrick exhibition at the design museum is excellent, can't recommend enough if you're a fan or in London and have even a passing interest in cinema.
  • nick_md wrote:
    The Kubrick exhibition at the design museum is excellent, can't recommend enough if you're a fan or in London and have even a passing interest in cinema.
    I've booked tickets for next month and I can't wait. Can you tell me if there's much there from his early films? I haven't seen everything he's done and wondering if it's worth watching them before I go.
  • It has stuff from every film, there's a starting room with general bits and bobs, then each film has its own section. It was really good (I'm a big fan, for disclosure; he's hands down the goat imo). We were there for 1.5 hours and tbh if you wanted to read and watch/listen to everything you'd need 3+hrs I think.

I'll post some pics later/tomorrow in spoiler tags, but it was cool af seeing original props/costumes etc, plus scripts, letters, notes. Really good.
  • I haven't seen Killer's Kiss or The Killing but didn't detract from the experience. Maybe I'd like it more if I'd seen them tho.
  • Cheers nick. I'm not going until mid September so it's a good excuse to watch the few Kubrick films I haven't seen.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Killing is a good 'un - its influence is apparant in Reservoir Dogs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!