Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • nick_md wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Sweet Lord that Kubrick exhibition. He's my pick for best ever director. How long is it on for?   If I can find a couple of London things to visit it would make it worth my while going over. There's an interesting looking VR version of Jeff Wayne's War of The Worlds on too - 110mins long.  If I could take those two in it would be getting close to being worthwhile. Yikes - only on until mid September. Not sure if I can do that. :(
    It's on until the 17th of September. Edit: Just noticed you already checked.
    Just learned I'm at a conference 16th-17th September London side. :)
    Book your tickets mate, it can sell out on busy days and I expect the last two would be in high demand.
    This. I booked already for the 15th September.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I watched a Tarantino film last night. Inglorious Basterds. I’d forgotten how good that film is.

Christoph Waltz is magnificent in it. Was born to play that role.  Apparantly he was a journeyman TV actor just going through the motions for years.  Big up to the casting team then.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, at least an hour too long, definitely Tarantino’s worst. I’d suggest skipping this at the cinema and waiting to catch it in a time and place where you have access to a pause button and your own food and drink.

Figured at 2hs 45mins and having watched Hateful8 (his worst film) this is not cinema material.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    I watched a Tarantino film last night. Inglorious Basterds. I’d forgotten how good that film is.
    Christoph Waltz is magnificent in it. Was born to play that role.  Apparantly he was a journeyman TV actor just going through the motions for years.  Big up to the casting team then.

I read that Tarantino was on the verge of abandoning the film during casting as no one in his eyes was going to be able to do the role justice.  Then Waltz auditioned, and that was that.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, at least an hour too long, definitely Tarantino’s worst. I’d suggest skipping this at the cinema and waiting to catch it in a time and place where you have access to a pause button and your own food and drink.

Figured at 2hs 45mins and having watched Hateful8 (his worst film) this is not cinema material.

I quite enjoyed Hateful 8. At least it had a bit of tension and intrigue running through it. This had a few good scenes, I guess.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, there was one good thing about OUATIH, the trailer for Nolan’s new one, Tenet. Doesn’t appear to be on YouTube yet aside from dodgy camera phone versions. It told me nothing except for the fact that it’s not out until July (I think it was) next year, but still, it’s Nolan, so I’m all in.
  • Brilliant. Oh, no, actually the other three were total shit so carry on.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I quite enjoyed Hateful 8. At least it had a bit of tension and intrigue running through it. This had a few good scenes, I guess.

It didn’t for me because the tension was basically the great bar scene from Basterds dragged out to 3hrs.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Brilliant. Oh, no, actually the other two were total shit so carry on.

• I started H8 but realised I wasn't in the mood about 20 mins in, I should go back and give it another shot.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don’t bother. Seriously.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

It didn’t for me because the tension was basically the great bar scene from Basterds dragged out to 3hrs.

Just wait until you watch OUATIH. At least there was some tension for those three hours.
  • It's the noise cancelling headphones that really does it for me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, who really wants to hear their partner enjoying themselves, right? That shit’s offputting.
  • I mean, the thighs can block your ears if you want.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Wait.......The Wachowski sisters?

Has the world gone fucking mad?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

I'm sure I heard somewhere that he refused many Hollywood roles in the past because they were all the stereotypical Nazi roles and he didnt want to be type cast.

It says something of the script that he broke that self imposed rule to play that role.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That first scene is the only good scene in a shit film. The Nazis are afraid of Eli Roth with a baseball bat? Yeah, sure. It's one of the few Tarantino movies I made it to the end of though, possibly because Fassbender is in it, so it has that.
  • Ah cool the new matrix film has gone from the wachowskis saying it’ll be cool if someone does it to one of them writing and directing it and it being an official matrix 4 with reeves and moss. Bizarre. I imagine trinity and neo will be like computer based gods or something.
  • nick_md wrote:
    It's the noise cancelling headphones that really does it for me.

The dude is a habitual supermodel fucker. Noise cancelling headphones are the best way to ensure they remain 100% attractive. Dude is a genius.
  • Kow wrote:
    That first scene is the only good scene in a shit film. The Nazis are afraid of Eli Roth with a baseball bat? Yeah, sure. It's one of the few Tarantino movies I made it to the end of though, possibly because Fassbender is in it, so it has that.

It's a stylistic thing. None of his films should be watched as historically accurate.

They are developed and refined versions of Saturday morning picture shows and straight to VHS fodder.

The Bear Jew is a goofy power trip for the down trodden. If you are taking it literally you missed the point.

The Basterds are his take on Captian America and his crew or the many other comic book tales of daring deeds, like Commando or GI Joe.
  • davyK wrote:

Wait.......The Wachowski sisters?

Has the world gone fucking mad?

They’re trans so... no?
  • Backpedal Davy!

I'm interested in them making a big action film. They have a great eye for it. Even in their dodgy stuff like Jupiter the action is exciting.
  • Tempy wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Wait.......The Wachowski sisters? Has the world gone fucking mad?
    They’re trans so... no?

I think he meant the idea that the Wachowskis are involved at all just makes the idea even more ridiculous. Especially after their body of work since the first Matrix.
  • Speed Racer is fantastic. Jupiter and Cloud were both flops but the visuals were still top tier, so I still rate them for prod design and vfx, just not so much the narrative. Kinda same bracket as Besson for me, but Besson has a better handle on action.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Kow wrote:

It's a stylistic thing. None of his films should be watched as historically accurate.

They are developed and refined versions of Saturday morning picture shows and straight to VHS fodder.

The Bear Jew is a goofy power trip for the down trodden. If you are taking it literally you missed the point.

The Basterds are his take on Captian America and his crew or the many other comic book tales of daring deeds, like Commando or GI Joe.

I'm not taking it literally, I just think it's stupid and uninteresting. Like most of his films.
  • djchump wrote:
    Speed Racer is fantastic.

Thank you!!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!