Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I stand by my view that all their work is bobbins. Yes, even the first one which was the biggest case of emperors new clothes I’ve had to sit through.

No fucking way. The Matrix is actually a proper sci fi action masterpiece.
  • Man that new Quentin Tarantino film feels like it’s a Quentin Tarantino film made up of Quentin Tarantino films.

I've always had problem with Tarantino's casual racism.

and the fact he's shit.
  • Oddly

For a film so bent over itself having a great time with the Tarantino Cinematic Universe I don’t think I heard the n word once. (Other racism does exist thou’)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Or perhaps at the end of the day there's no malice in it and its been completely misread partridgeshrug
    No malice in it doesn't mean it isn't damaging or doesn't need to be called out. Oh I didn't mean to do xyz so xyz doesn't matter don't always fly, chief. Calling shit out doesn't have to mean an attack that needs to be defended.

No it doesn't but I've always gone with leeway in this place, if its obviously cuntish, fair fucks. I've known pretty much every poster for long enough to know if they're coming on like a transphobe/racist/bell. I'd rather it be as it is than each post being checked carefully for fear of offense.

Call away, I'll continue to wobble me head. Its why I stay out of the misogyny and serious threads, fuck that noise.
  • g.man wrote:
    Bound was fine - decent in places even - and The Matrix was really good at trying to look like it was going to become the future of action movies until the actors spoke and then their rubbish lines delivered with cardboard vigour made us all realise that this too WAS A LOAD OF BOBBINS. Rest is trash.
  • If any post here should be moderated it is reg's careless and wanton accusation of transphobia Vs kow.

I mean, kow's no saint (I have told him off myself for racist language). But reading that post and then reg, it's honestly fucking out of order from reg, that. Shame on you, man.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I'm trying super hard to show that I don't think anyone here is a transphobe, btw. I think it's a case of nuance and not appreciating how comments are taken.

This is the right approach. Explaining why a comment isn't cool while acknowledging that there was no malice intended is far better than accusations of transphobia where there is non.

• To be fair though, saying that somebody has written something transphobic / racist / misogynistic is not the same as saying that the person who wrote it is.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Or perhaps at the end of the day there's no malice in it and its been completely misread partridgeshrug
    No malice in it doesn't mean it isn't damaging or doesn't need to be called out. Oh I didn't mean to do xyz so xyz doesn't matter don't always fly, chief. Calling shit out doesn't have to mean an attack that needs to be defended.

No it doesn't but I've always gone with leeway in this place, if its obviously cuntish, fair fucks. I've known pretty much every poster for long enough to know if they're coming on like a transphobe/racist/bell. I'd rather it be as it is than each post being checked carefully for fear of offense.

Call away, I'll continue to wobble me head. Its why I stay out of the misogyny and serious threads, fuck that noise.

But that's exactly the point; the intention may not be there, but it's important to highlight when, intention aside, something that's said may not be cool, and to try to highlight why it isn't cool. It doesn't have to be obviously cuntish.

Reg's post was pretty confrontational and I have a lot of time for the argument against it (people feel they're under attack for something that I genuinely don't feel they intend). It's still worth calling out, in a civilised manner wherever possible.
  • nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    No it doesn't but I've always gone with leeway in this place, if its obviously cuntish, fair fucks. I've known pretty much every poster for long enough to know if they're coming on like a transphobe/racist/bell. I'd rather it be as it is than each post being checked carefully for fear of offense. Call away, I'll continue to wobble me head. Its why I stay out of the misogyny and serious threads, fuck that noise.
    But that's exactly the point; the intentionay not be there, but it's important to highlight when, intention aside, something that's said may not be cool, and to try to highlight why it isn't cool. It doesn't have to be obviously cuntish. Reg's post was pretty confrontational and I have a lot of time for the argument against it (people feel they're under attack for something that I genuinely don't feel they intend). It's still worth calling out, in a civilised manner wherever possible.

Pfft, far too rational.  We need to be more polarised in here.  Haven’t you read Animal Farm?
  • Can't believe everyone missed the chance to dunk on SocialJusticeTempy
  • nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

But that's exactly the point; the intention may not be there, but it's important to highlight when, intention aside, something that's said may not be cool, and to try to highlight why it isn't cool. It doesn't have to be obviously cuntish.

Reg's post was pretty confrontational and I have a lot of time for the argument against it (people feel they're under attack for something that I genuinely don't feel they intend). It's still worth calling out, in a civilised manner wherever possible.

There is absolutely nothing to call out. He said their gender doesn't affect the fact that in his opinion, their movies are shit. In the context of a discussion of their having transitioned, it would have been entirely odd to say, the wachoskis movies are shit. The reference to what their gender was then, and now, reinforced the point. It wasn't transphobic. It did not "deadame" them. And it wasn't schoolground bullying, the wachoskis aren't here, so the whole moralising teacher shite didn't need to come into it. We're adults here, not children. Deadnaming is harmful in the school ground because it denies the kid's gender identity, undermines it by reminding them, to their face or via Chinese whispers, that it is viewed as dodgy or illegitimate. Same for @ing on twitter.

This was clearly not deadnaming.Kow was referring to the wachowski brothers then, and the sisters now. If that's wrong, well, I watched the matrix 11 days ago on a flight to Helsinki, and I guess the wachoski's own film is guilty of deadnaming them - because its end credits say made by the wachowski brothers. By that logic, Warner Bros should have reedited every film and changed that description?

I can't believe I have to explain this shit. It's fucking simple.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • People shouldn't get their panties in a knot about all this stuff.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The Matrix was fucking amazing in the day.

Edited cos tequila
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I’m sure we can all agree on one thing: The Matrix sequels were both shit.
  • I can’t agree with that.
  • The whole chalet/car chase/highway sequence is amazing
  • nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    No it doesn't but I've always gone with leeway in this place, if its obviously cuntish, fair fucks. I've known pretty much every poster for long enough to know if they're coming on like a transphobe/racist/bell. I'd rather it be as it is than each post being checked carefully for fear of offense. Call away, I'll continue to wobble me head. Its why I stay out of the misogyny and serious threads, fuck that noise.
    But that's exactly the point; the intention may not be there, but it's important to highlight when, intention aside, something that's said may not be cool, and to try to highlight why it isn't cool. It doesn't have to be obviously cuntish. Reg's post was pretty confrontational and I have a lot of time for the argument against it (people feel they're under attack for something that I genuinely don't feel they intend). It's still worth calling out, in a civilised manner wherever possible.
    There is absolutely nothing to call out. He said their gender doesn't affect the fact that in his opinion, their movies are shit. In the context of a discussion of their having transitioned, it would have been entirely odd to say, the wachoskis movies are shit. The reference to what their gender was then, and now, reinforced the point. It wasn't transphobic. It did not "deadame" them. And it wasn't schoolground bullying, the wachoskis aren't here, so the whole moralising teacher shite didn't need to come into it. We're adults here, not children. Deadnaming is harmful in the school ground because it denies the kid's gender identity, undermines it by reminding them, to their face or via Chinese whispers, that it is viewed as dodgy or illegitimate. Same for @ing on twitter. This was clearly not deadnaming.Kow was referring to the wachowski brothers then, and the sisters now. If that's wrong, well, I watched the matrix 11 days ago on a flight to Helsinki, and I guess the wachoski's own film is guilty of deadnaming them - because its end credits say made by the wachowski brothers. By that logic, Warner Bros should have reedited every film and changed that description? I can't believe I have to explain this shit. It's fucking simple.

Well I would expect a re-release of the film to update their names, tbh.

The 'they were shit as men, just as shit as women' thing is not necessary and was done as a jokey quip. I didn't use the term 'deadnaming', but if you can't see why maybe thinking about how words like that can be taken by people, and instead feel the need to 'explain this shit' to those pointing it out, then I can't help you really. I shouldn't have to 'explain this shit' either.
  • I'll tell you what didn't transition, this convo from here to the miso thread....

(I already have my coat.)

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’m sure we can all agree on one thing: The Matrix sequels were both shit.

I don’t know.

I never watched them.
  • I watched half of the second one, but even huge fans of the series didn't seem to be making much positive noise about the third so I avoided it.  Always kinda fancied Speed Racer though, will try that if it's on a streamer.
  • Now there's a film I have watched and completely forgot existed.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah, I think I have that on HD-DVD somewhere. Think it was the first film on that format I bought. Got it in Woolworths for a fiver iirc. Frankly I'd have been better off spending five quid on pick-n-mix.
    Visually arresting but absolute bobbins.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was the one who brought up the trans thing.  I was genuinely surprised that both brothers were trans. But my post was over the top with the healthy side order of dickishness. 

Where that came from was the distress I feel about trans people because I cannot imagine how unhappy anyone must be who doesn't have a fundamental thing like that sorted out for themselves and may be wrong here but I don't think they can ever be happy. I'd like to be wrong about that though.

The apparant volume is alarming. Maybe that's a perception thing but the thought that for centuries large numbers of people have felt that way is depressing.

I liked the Matrix and couldn't care less about the status of its creator(s).

I liked the sequels too.

I don't think Matrix 4 is a good idea but I'd still go and see and call it out if it's shit.

What people need not be fearful of is if someone is an arsehole or poor at something then it should be called out whether they are wheelchair bound, blind, Muslim, Catholic, gay, trans or whatever. I'm not entirely sure that can be done about certain groups without there being underlying fear of being called out as something bad.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I’m happy

And I’m shit at floating point binary.

Couldn’t give a toss if people point it out.
  • Your shit at foaming pont binary.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We should have a thread about this. Everyone pigeon holes themselves and then states what they are shit at.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Your shit at foaming pont binary.

How dare you, I fucking rock at foaming.
  • davyK wrote:
    We should have a thread about this. Everyone pigeon holes themselves and then states what they are shit at.
    I'm shit at pigeon-holeing myself.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @Davy You're shit at recognising drugs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!