regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nothing to do with hot takes, pop, bad form

Let's go to the LGBT Scotland guidelines -

The majority, and overwhelmingly so of people who transition wish to assume the identity they believe in. Therefore any deadnaming, or references to their previous identities are at least, annoying, and at worst, harmful to their mental health.
  • Still feels like you’re not taking those guidelines in the spirit they’re intended. We’re just gonna disagree on this one Reg.

Whatever the official guidelines say, here’s my take:

Referring to someone’s past as their past isn’t offensive, bad, or wrong.

Referring to a trans person as their ‘dead’ self (name, gender, whatever) in the present tense would be massively offensive.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're conflating those two as if they are two separate things. For trans people they aren't.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What they did in the past they did as the person they are now. That's pretty simplistic.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am going to shut up now and just say

NO TIME TO DIE
  • That is pretty much what Kow said.

Edit: not that
  • Imma go post in the gender wotsit thread.

Still love ya Reg, even when you’re being a pain.
  • I don't think there was any intentional transphobia from Kow but I think Reg is right to point out that drawing attention to their transition for the lols isn't really something that you can do without being called out on in 2019.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I meant their gender has no bearing on the shitness of their films. I don't see any transphobia in that at all, as it was a response to Davy's comment about them being women now. But take it as you will.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I don't think there was any intentional transphobia from Kow but I think Reg is right to point out that drawing attention to their transition for the lols isn't really something that you can do without being called out on in 2019.

Yeah, no one did that. I'm glad reg isn't a fireman, his neighbour's barbecues would be ruined.
  • Their transition was totally drawn attention to, wtf. Davy said it's a world gone mad (or similar) then Kow said man or woman. Wtf is this?

I don't think any of it was intentional, but people are pointing out that maybe these comments should be thought about in a wider context. Like, why is it a world gone mad (my words, paraphrasing), why do we need to refer to the previous gender identity? Etc.
  • I'm not meaning to attack anyone, but rather, point out how language is used and how maybe there are ingrained ideas.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Indeed, but that was a discussion that was productive and ended positively.

Perhaps it was productive and ended positively because nobody flew off the handle and started accusing people of things, instead prompting a discussion that could’ve been construed as educational.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I thought Davy was genuinely just surprised to learn that both of them were trans, and so commented on it. Fuck knows though, eh?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Nick Not for the lols they weren't.

I think everyone realises this but just want to flex those right on muscles they've developed in equality and diversity training.
  • Kows comment was defo for the lols imo, perhaps I misread it.

I don't think Davy has a genuinely bad bone in his body, ftr. I do think a lot of people aren't used to having their views challenged or having it pointed out to them that perhaps their (well intentioned) comments may actually be damaging.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Or perhaps at the end of the day there's no malice in it and its been completely misread

partridgeshrug
  • “World gone mad” is a bit strong, IMO.

Apropos of little other than the Wachowski link, I remember the first article I wrote for cash was for Killscreen, about Superhot. It led with a comment about The Matrix and I wrote “the Wachowski Brothers” because i’d grabbed the spelling from the IMDB credits. I think this was less than a year after Lilly has transitioned. First few comments were from disappointed trans folk who weren’t happy that I’d misgendered them. It made me feel pretty bad as it was big news that they’d transitioned and were remaining in Film and TV. Me and my editor apologised, it was frustrating for him because Killscreen was quite alternative and had a lot of trans writers on board too. The people who had been disappointed accepted my apology, but it made me realise how frustrating it must be to read stuff like that, but also how easy it is to make a mistake and similarly how easy it to just accept it. When you get these mad people like Jordan Peterson who do their little Kermit the frog “I won’t use a person’s preferred pronouns” you just wonder what they get out of making it difficult for others.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    "For the lols" was actually because I realised what I wrote first sounded like I was saying they were as shit as women, which I corrected in a way that was intended to be self deprecating. Mission accomplished, I guess. But continue to press on, by all means.
  • Or perhaps at the end of the day there's no malice in it and its been completely misread

partridgeshrug

No malice in it doesn't mean it isn't damaging or doesn't need to be called out. Oh I didn't mean to do xyz so xyz doesn't matter don't always fly, chief. Calling shit out doesn't have to mean an attack that needs to be defended.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Or perhaps at the end of the day there's no malice in it and its been completely misread

partridgeshrug

No malice in it doesn't mean it isn't damaging or doesn't need to be called out. Oh I didn't mean to do xyz so xyz doesn't matter don't always fly, chief. Calling shit out doesn't have to mean an attack that needs to be defended.

This is fair but if you go back to reg's first posts he comes in like a wrecking ball.
    "Nothing but transphobia" "shitty".

Then waves his trans rights badge around without so much as a bother for explaining the issue.

I do hope he does better at work.
  • Well yeah I can see that pov for sure.
  • There is no badge.

or is there?

If I find out there is a fucking badge and I didn't get one, heads are going to roll.
  • I'm trying super hard to show that I don't think anyone here is a transphobe, btw. I think it's a case of nuance and not appreciating how comments are taken.
  • There is no badge.

or is there?

If I find out there is a fucking badge and I didn't get one, heads are going to roll.

Have you done the training course?
  • Kara passed with flying colours.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I stand by my view that all their work is bobbins. Yes, even the first one which was the biggest case of emperors new clothes I’ve had to sit through.
  • Man that new Quentin Tarantino film feels like it’s a Quentin Tarantino film made up of Quentin Tarantino films.
  • Bound and The Matrix were really good. Rest is trash.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Have you done the training course?

It involved travel and I'm nothing if not very, very, lazy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!