Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Some pics of the Kubrick expo then - only took these really, I'm not one for photographing every single piece like some folks do (just buy the book from the shop).

===Middle two are NSFW===
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Don't touch the penis sculpture.

Gutted i am likely gonna miss this, really wanted to go.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Luckily nobody was stood next to me when I toggled those spoilers on my work PC.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Luckily nobody was stood next to me when I toggled those spoilers on my work PC.

Ah sorry - have added a warning.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sweet Lord that Kubrick exhibition.

He's my pick for best ever director. How long is it on for?   If I can find a couple of London things to visit it would make it worth my while going over.

There's an interesting looking VR version of Jeff Wayne's War of The Worlds on too - 110mins long.  If I could take those two in it would be getting close to being worthwhile.

Yikes - only on until mid September. Not sure if I can do that. :(
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Ah sorry - have added a warning.

No problem. Would probably have just received rasied eyebrows in any case but maybe better not to find out.
  • davyK wrote:
    Sweet Lord that Kubrick exhibition. He's my pick for best ever director. How long is it on for?   If I can find a couple of London things to visit it would make it worth my while going over. There's an interesting looking VR version of Jeff Wayne's War of The Worlds on too - 110mins long.  If I could take those two in it would be getting close to being worthwhile. Yikes - only on until mid September. Not sure if I can do that. :(

Yeah it ends soon-ish. The whole thing was excellent, had loads of things like original scripts, letters, notes, directors chair, location stuff, clapboards from various films, lenses, cameras, audio. Really was fantastic. They have original props as good as those in my pics for all films.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I didn't think original props survived - I always though Kubrick trashed everything.

Maybe I'm thinking of the 2001 models - pretty sure they were scrapped to prevent their reuse.
  • Had plenty of 2001 stuff, including models - could be reproductions though. Had original costumes from 2001, plus Barry Lyndon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.  :)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, at least an hour too long, definitely Tarantino’s worst. I’d suggest skipping this at the cinema and waiting to catch it in a time and place where you have access to a pause button and your own food and drink.
  • Nah.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK wrote:
    Sweet Lord that Kubrick exhibition. He's my pick for best ever director. How long is it on for?   If I can find a couple of London things to visit it would make it worth my while going over. There's an interesting looking VR version of Jeff Wayne's War of The Worlds on too - 110mins long.  If I could take those two in it would be getting close to being worthwhile. Yikes - only on until mid September. Not sure if I can do that. :(
    It's on until the 17th of September.

Edit: Just noticed you already checked.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, at least an hour too long, definitely Tarantino’s worst. I’d suggest skipping this at the cinema and waiting to catch it in a time and place where you have access to a pause button and your own food and drink.

Agreed. It would’ve been better to break it up with a snack break etc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was a piece of ludicrous shit on last night that I couldn't stop watching.

Death Race. Seemed to be a remake of Death Race 2000 "starring" the ever-wooden Jason Statham.

Actually could have been all right but was apallingly put together. No shortage of raw material - a decent cast including Ian McShane in there having fun.  There was a kind of gritty videogame look and feel to it.

It didn't even give us a good pay back when the baddies got taken out.

Sheesh.
  • “Ludicrous shit that I can’t stop watching” is Statham’s middle name.
  • I watched that when I was off work with swine flu during the epidemic. I’m not sure which thing made me feel worse.
  • I watched that Fast & Furious 8 on the telly at the weekend. Now that really is some ludicrous nonsense. Made Michael Bay's films look positively restrained.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I went to the cinema for Death Race, I enjoyed it. There is a straight to DVD sequel that really is bad.
  • Luke Goss is a Seal of Disapproval. Lord knows how Blade 2 and Hellboy 2 weren't ruined by his presence.
  • I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
    Kind of didn't like it for the most part. Really didn't like the editing of most of it and it didn't seem to have that Tarantino style for most of it either.
    There was some stuff I really liked though. Came out of it feeling a bit confused about what I truly felt for it. Not in any rush to see it again so maybe that's the answer.

Doesn't help that I really don't like Dicaprio as an actor. He's just himself in every role. All it takes is for his character to get angry to remind you that he's pretty much one note.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Luke Goss is a Seal of Disapproval. Lord knows how Blade 2 and Hellboy 2 weren't ruined by his presence.

Didn't realise that was Goss in Hellboy 2.

Enjoyed that film despite the slightly iffy Northern Ireland accent from the troll on wheels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Scout wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    It's on until the 17th of September. Edit: Just noticed you already checked.

Just learned I'm at a conference 16th-17th September London side. :)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Nah.

Agreed. I thought it was very good. Definitely far from the worst.
    That's if anyone can really say that Tarantino has ever made a bad film...

They've all been excellent (though I've not yet seen Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds).
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not entirely sure I would class Once Upon a Time as bad, but it definitely wasn’t good.

All other Tarantino films I’ve found more to enjoy than in OUATIH. Even the dialogue mostly felt lumpen.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Nah.
    Agreed. I thought it was very good. Definitely far from the worst. That's if anyone can really say that Tarantino has ever made a bad film... They've all been excellent (though I've not yet seen Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds).

My man!

I really enjoyed it.
  • The new James Bond title is out.
    It is about is interesting and original as I suspect the movie will be.
    Spoiler:
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched a Tarantino film last night. Inglorious Basterds. I’d forgotten how good that film is.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    It's on until the 17th of September. Edit: Just noticed you already checked.

Just learned I'm at a conference 16th-17th September London side. :)

Book your tickets mate, it can sell out on busy days and I expect the last two would be in high demand.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    New James bond movie is called No Time To Die. BREXIT metaphor incoming.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!