jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    99 Homes I think, but I haven't seen it. Also the documentary The Inside Job.
  • Cosby wrote:
    I can see Fury Road as that pick. It's a film film. It's cinema in its purest form. Showing how expert use of a camera and production design can create something special. Sure there's films with deeper stories and themes but Fury Road is so neat in its purity. I'd have to have a think about what my list would be.

The technical aspects of that film are undoubtedly impressive but calling the result something special is generous. It doesn't seem pure to me, simply lacking in other elements.

To each their own I suppose. Empire isn't the deepest of film magazines though in how it presents itself so it don't surprise the readers picked mostly the big shiney ones.
  • Cosby wrote:
    I can see Fury Road as that pick. It's a film film. It's cinema in its purest form. Showing how expert use of a camera and production design can create something special. Sure there's films with deeper stories and themes but Fury Road is so neat in its purity. I'd have to have a think about what my list would be.
    The technical aspects of that film are undoubtedly impressive but calling the result something special is generous. It doesn't seem pure to me, simply lacking in other elements.
    To each their own I suppose. Empire isn't the deepest of film magazines though in how it presents itself so it don't surprise the readers picked mostly the big shiney ones.
    Aye. Fury Road would probably be my pick for best action movie of the decade, FWIW!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Not sure why I have such a strong negative reaction to Fury Road in all honesty. I found the same with Warrior (maybe Hardy is the common trait) in that it felt like an average film at best but had a lot of buzz, though not on the same level of course.

I'm sure there are plenty of films I'd happily recommend that could equally be argued have a similar lack of substance beneath the fun and chaos.
  • Some films I think should definitely be in the conversation for best of the decade:

The Master
    Inherent Vice
    House of the Devil
    Midsommar
    Mother! 
    Inside Llewyn Davis
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Drive
    Nightcrawler
    It Follows
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Arrival
    Blade Runner 2049
    Interstellar 
    Blue Valentine
    Midnight in Paris
    Irrational Man
    Joker
    The Irishman
    Christopher Robin
    Django Unchained
    Don't Breathe
    Hostiles
    Mandy
    Somewhere
    Us
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I've seen Drive out those. If you were to pick one of the others to watch, which would it be?
  • I’d pick Mother rather than Mother!

Wrong decade though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've seen Drive out those. If you were to pick one of the others to watch, which would it be?
    Hard to choose but I'd say Inside LLewyn Davis. A really beautiful bit of work, with superb music in it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Shabs, you know what I think? There's a bunch of whinging pommie bastards who can't stand that an Aussie movie came top mate.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Midsommar
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yes, Midsommar is fucking amazing. Most disturbing Horror film I've seen in ages. (Mother! was also up there.)
  • JonB wrote:
    What Hollywood films are there that deal with the economic crisis of 2007/8 or issues related to that?

I could think of a few - The Big Short, Margin Call, The Laundromat, Hustlers. Any others?

Gone Girl. You’ve got the only others I’d know to mention.
  • JonB wrote:
    What Hollywood films are there that deal with the economic crisis of 2007/8 or issues related to that? I could think of a few - The Big Short, Margin Call, The Laundromat, Hustlers. Any others?
    Gone Girl. You’ve got the only others I’d know to mention.
    Shows how well I remember Gone Girl that I don't even recall that aspect of it. Thanks. I'll look into it.
    jdanielp wrote:
    99 Homes I think, but I haven't seen it. Also the documentary The Inside Job.
    Ah yes, I have seen 99 Homes. Another one I don't remember that well. But thanks.
  • I really enjoyed Midnight in Paris.

Also thumbs up for It Follows and Blue Valentine.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I really enjoyed Midnight in Paris.  

I thought it was great. The only thing that spoiled it for me was the ending and that was only because...
    Spoiler:
  • The Peanut Butter Falcon

Loving, warm, wonderful movie.
    It wears it's Twain influences on it's sleeve for much of the movie but in very much a good way.

The parallels between the real world actors and the movie are very real. The message that we shouldn't tell someone with Downs syndrome what they can and can't do couldn't have been delivered better than it was through Gottsagen's performance. There are also stories around the production that Gottsagen pulled LeBeouf out of a rutt and they have remained friends.

One of those movies where you are smiling through tears.

Wrestling fans will get a kick out of a couple of cameos as well.
  • Fuck it, I think Gottsagen is worthy of winning the Lead Oscar.
    His performance is so spot on. Watching interviews and behind the scenes stuff around the movie every actor, director and producer is talking about how he totally set the tone on set, carried the cast and even inspired the writing and direction and they arent pandering or patronising.

Tell me someone without Downs wouldn't win an Oscar with those comments.
  • Shabs, you know what I think? There's a bunch of whinging pommie bastards who can't stand that an Aussie movie came top mate.

Struth Bruce I think you're spot on.
  • You could say it’s seen by many Aussies as a G’day when Fury Road was number one
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I read that as "Steve Bruce", and thought for a moment we'd outed Hair.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The Peanut Butter Falcon

Loving, warm, wonderful movie.
    It wears it's Twain influences on it's sleeve for much of the movie but in very much a good way.

The parallels between the real world actors and the movie are very real. The message that we shouldn't tell someone with Downs syndrome what they can and can't do couldn't have been delivered better than it was through Gottsagen's performance. There are also stories around the production that Gottsagen pulled LeBeouf out of a rutt and they have remained friends.

One of those movies where you are smiling through tears.

Wrestling fans will get a kick out of a couple of cameos as well.

Aye, it’s a lovely film.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I read that as "Steve Bruce", and thought for a moment we'd outed Hair.

In my defence, I've been out for years.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Holden the door, Moulin Rouge! was 2001. Fury Road though!

I love them both, trying for an hour but can't choose which is my number one.
  • Parasite booked for the 8th Feb. Exciting!

It costs me at least £20 in total for a movie trip to central at the weekend. Can’t justify many times. So I’m gonna wait until The Lighthouse hits my local and Weathering With You on disc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched The Wailing tonight. It’s...quite the film.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Parasite booked for the 8th Feb. Exciting! It costs me at least £20 in total for a movie trip to central at the weekend. Can’t justify many times. So I’m gonna wait until The Lighthouse hits my local and Weathering With You on disc.
    Is that just for one person? 

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna watch Parasite this weekend. Then have to see if B wants to watch Weathering With You as well, might watch that on my own. The Lighthouse looks interesting, but I think the independent theatre I like to go to only showed that for a weekend, so probably missed that. It's also not one I want to watch by myself.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I watched The Wailing tonight. It’s...quite the film.

I bought that on the strength of The Chaser, his previous film from 2008. Deeply disturbing South Korean serial killer flick in the vein of I Saw The Devil. It used to be on Amazon Prime not sure if still there but it's an absolutely riveting thriller. The Wailing didn't match up to it at all.

Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • Hmmm, haven't seen The Chaser. Will check it out.
  • I thought The Wailing was one of the best films of the 2010s.  The Chaser was good.  It's worth checking out The Yellow Sea too.  It doesn't quite maintain the quality but the first half is superb.
  • Bad Boys for Life.

Judging by the lack of bodies in the cinema this probably ain't the film that's going to kick start Will Smiths career back up but it's a lot better than a franchise dormant for 17 years has to be.

Miami looks amazing, The chemistry between the two leads is still there. It's a funny script cracking action sequences and set pieces and a reasonable 2 hour run time (down from the bloated 2 hours 30 mins of the second one).

Great film, We ride together..
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!