Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Creepshow 2
    Put this on thinking I didnt know they made a Creepshow 2. Turns out I had seen it already.

The lake scum is probably the best story although gets needlessly rapey. King is a proper perv sometimes.

Thanks for the ride lady.
  • Now I'm watching the Evil Dead 2013 remake which I was sure I had seen but after the opening I dont think I have.

I think I have got confused because Evil Dead 2 is somewhat of a remake of Evil Dead.
  • Yeah this is shit.

The iconic scene of Ash cutting his arm arm off with a chainsaw is replaced by a character cutting their arm off with an electric carving knife and there in lies the perfect example of how this movie is lesser than either of the 2 movies it tries to replicate.

Edit: a couple of good practical effects at the end. Big problem though is that it plays everything straight but then does the impossible.

Overall a 90 minute horror movie remake of an absolute rollercoaster of a movie series but I spent at least 50 minutes bored, about 15 minutes of which was during action scenes.
  • Onto Chopping Mall which is so far hilarious.
    Should be seen if only for the 1980s mall montage at the start.

Also provided the best of the that guys.
    Dick Miller.
    Probably most famous as the gun store owner in Terminator but also featured in Gremlins and The Burbs

1984ActorDickMillerCreditTheTerminator.jpg

Edit: this is way better than it has any right to be. It is shit in several places not least the robots but it has genuine tension. Terminator could have easily ended up being this movie.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've just put SW: Phantom Menace on in an attempt to get my daughter into star wars (I will bring her to the dark side). Good god, that opening scrawl is a good indicator for the quality of the film.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If there’s ever a justification for child brutality that kid is it.

Anakin: “Oops!”

Me: “Fuck off”
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    At my daughters request, we stopped watching Star Wars after 20 minutes.
  • That film gets a lot better after jar jar tones it down.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm doing the machete order with Nate, so 4 and 5 then the prequels following the big Vader reveal. We finished Attack of the Clones yesterday.

Some absolutely horrific writing and acting going on, but they're nowhere near as bad as I thought they'd be. I'd forgotten most of the stuff from AotC except for the "I hate sand" stuff and Sam Jackson being just awful with a lightsaber. Hayden Christensen is terrible, and yeah, the kid in Phantom Menace ruins every scene he's in.

But there's enough there despite all that to enjoy, it's not all awful. McDiarmid and Christopher Lee are great, the sleepwalk into tyranny of the republic and how old Palps manipulates everyone is well done. And of course, lots of pew pew lasers and lightsaber fights.

Nate's enjoying them, so we'll plough through and into the new ones I reckon. Then maybe Lord of the Rings, although he might get spooked by the orcs, so I may start him out on Harry Potter first. I don't think I've seen any of them in their entirety. Might have a look at Pirates of the Caribbean too.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, McDiarmid pretty much saves the whole trilogy as far as I’m concerned.  I’ve developed a bit of a soft spot for the films over the years in spite of their plentiful and not inconsiderable faults.  I think my fondness for them has grown quite a bit since watching the last couple of Star Wars films.
    Get schwifty.
  • @LivDiv Chopping Mall is great trashy fun, I love it to bits.
  • Yeah I really enjoyed it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If introducing a kid to Star Wars then I'd recommend starting at ch.4   Anything to avoid spoiling the reveal at the end of ch.5
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think they are on Sky Movies... not Channel 4 Davy

Whythankyouverymuch
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ouch.
  • I'm doing the machete order with Nate, so 4 and 5 then the prequels following the big Vader reveal. We finished Attack of the Clones yesterday.

Some absolutely horrific writing and acting going on, but they're nowhere near as bad as I thought they'd be. I'd forgotten most of the stuff from AotC except for the "I hate sand" stuff and Sam Jackson being just awful with a lightsaber. Hayden Christensen is terrible, and yeah, the kid in Phantom Menace ruins every scene he's in.

But there's enough there despite all that to enjoy, it's not all awful. McDiarmid and Christopher Lee are great, the sleepwalk into tyranny of the republic and how old Palps manipulates everyone is well done. And of course, lots of pew pew lasers and lightsaber fights.

Nate's enjoying them, so we'll plough through and into the new ones I reckon. Then maybe Lord of the Rings, although he might get spooked by the orcs, so I may start him out on Harry Potter first. I don't think I've seen any of them in their entirety. Might have a look at Pirates of the Caribbean too.

Dear oh dear Sparky, I think you're still suffering from post Nightfliers sanity disorder - the prequels are bad aids. Christiansen is one of the worst actors I've ever seen outside of a b-movie and he single handedly ruins those 2 films, turning them from average nonsense to utter turds just through his presence alone. Kids like them though (even isaac having them on in the background is enough to set my teeth on edge) but what do they know?

Warning about the Potter movies though - the first two are atrocious shite but it's worth sticking with them as they do get better.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • As a defence of Christiansen, he is great in shattered glass. Star wars ruined him.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I've always got a soft spot for the prequels until I go back and actually watch them. The general idea is there and there's some great bits, but the overall execution is terrible. I think the Marvel films really undermine them as well, they're not great, but they're very polished.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    As a defence of Christiansen, he is great in shattered glass. Star wars ruined him.

He looked the part and moved well but he hadn't the skill to breathe life into the dreadful SW dialogue which is a hallmark of all the films. Not many are.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Lucas directed him to deliver a monotone vocal performance to tie in with the iconic James Earl Jones voice over. Some big boots to fill there.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Problem is Lucas couldn't direct traffic.
  • Lucas directed him to deliver a monotone performance to tie in with the iconic James Earl Jones voice over. Some big boots to fill there.
    That's a very generous way of looking at it. Almost like they were trying to justify how fucking awful he is.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The dialogue is awful, Christiansen is fine given what he's got to work with. Portman, McGreggor and Neeson are good actors but none come off well.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Aye. McGregor's natural charm just about shines through, but otherwise they're all wooden.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s quite the thing to get such a god awful performance out of Portman.
    Get schwifty.
  • Tonight, thanks to a recommendation from Elmlea, I'm gonna watch "VelociPastor" 

Taken from IMDB 
    "
    [font=Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]After losing his parents, a priest travels to China, where he inherits a mysterious ability that allows him to turn into a dinosaur. At first horrified by this new power, a hooker convinces him to use it to fight crime. And ninjas"[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]SOLD[/font]
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Tonight, thanks to a recommendation from Elmlea, I'm gonna watch "VelociPastor" 

Taken from IMDB 
    "
    [font=Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]After losing his parents, a priest travels to China, where he inherits a mysterious ability that allows him to turn into a dinosaur. At first horrified by this new power, a hooker convinces him to use it to fight crime. And ninjas"[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]SOLD[/font]

This is where I first heard of it:
    https://film.avclub.com/how-can-you-not-check-out-a-movie-called-the-velocipast-1837383938
    AV Club wrote:
    If you’re anything like me, you probably took one look at the name of this movie and thought to yourself, “I don’t care if this thing cost $5 million or $5, that dinosaur better look like absolute fucking garbage.” I am pleased to report that, whatever image you had in your head of the VelociPastor, it looks way, way stupider than you could ever dream.

Let me know how it goes.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just giving The Last Jedi another go.

Liking the Rey and Luke bits.

But the ship chase still doesn’t make sense.

Good old Ade Edmundson makes it clear to Hux their ships are faster and light hence why they can’t catch em so why aren’t they pulling away??
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think they're conserving fuel.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Lol

Shame the next line is but they will eventually run out of fuel.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!