@_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Mad Men owes it a drink Reg. Seems the most underrated Scott film.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What was with that racist thing in Crimson Tide? Out of the blue and then forgot about later? Bizarre.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There’s the talk about the horses. Which touches on the colour of them and how obedient they are, but that is a key point between their two points of view and does come back later.

Then there is the ongoing undercurrent of Alabama being the name of the sub and the greatest place on Earth, as part of the opening speech by Hackman.

I’m trying to recall an outright racist thing said. What was it?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The horse talk. To me it was racist. It was insinuating behaviours & qualities connected with colour. There was a link to me from cattle prod to whip. It was an ugly scene, mainly because it came out of nowhere and was then ignored afterwards. I'm afraid it put me off the whole film and I expected better from both actors.

Maybe there were cuts made that exposed racist tendencies. Fair enough. But even then for it to be ignored afterwards didn't make sense to me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don't think it was that simple, imo. I think it was Hackman testing Denzel at the beginning, where they talk about the horses and he asks him what he likes to do, he says riding horses and asks him which types. Denzel says Arabian. Then Hackman talks about the most disciplined horses in the world being the white horses from Portugal, can't recall what they are called. Hackman is insinuating that perhaps white people are more disciplined.

Denzel corrects him, I think in the officers dinner scene later and says they are not from Portugal but from somewhere else and that they are born black. So this is the younger generation correcting the old guard, who is not outright racist, but has long held probably prejudiced views.

Then at the end of the film...
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spoiler:

That whole horse black/white thing just felt out of kilter with everything else that had happened even allowing for their conversations at the start - it was too close to being racist and wasn't what Hackman's character was about as far as I could see. The film could have done without it. That whole side issue with Cap Kirk and Scotty didn't fit either - but hey - it's a big daft film and I love that sort of thing - it's just I was expecting something else.  Washington is too heavy a guy to play that right. And Hackman was coasting and taking the money - that film was well below them both.
  • I didn’t realise there was a sequel to Inside Man.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I can’t help it. I just love the film. Can watch again and again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    At an absolute loose end today so I watched Avengers Infinity War.

There's something really impressive about how this bunch of 3.5-4 star movies really stays watchable and amiable throughout their run times. Someone working wonders over there.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I put a lot of Avengers working down to Whedon. He know's how to weave lots of characters together and drops dialogue that is witty banter, but can still drop a big dramatic hit when needed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, it absolutely uses the Buffy formulae.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Love a bit of Buffy
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I enjoyed the 3 (or was it 4?) ensemble Avengers films even though I didn't watch any of the supporting stuff. My latent Marvel knowledge from my comics reading childhood probably helped it. They are wondrous things really - it walks a thin line - stray at all and they could have become an unfocussed mess. They hang together rather well. The one thing that I thought didn't seem right was Thanos v Hulk which was never adequately explained - that issue was just brushed aside...maybe that happened in the comics or was there an explanation in a supporting film?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well in the first part of the double header wot I just watched they just had
    Spoiler:

I can't remember the second part. Will watch tomorrow.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Infinity War was the only Avengers film I enjoyed.  I just don’t think I’m big on Marvel.

I watched Man of Steel last night.  I still like it.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Infinity War was the only Avengers film I enjoyed.  I just don’t think I’m big on Marvel.

I watched Man of Steel last night.  I still like it.

I like man of steel, and I hate all of the rest. They actually did superman right and that's great but it Morrisons everything else and they struggle to reconcile that when he has to be part of the justice League.

I think infinity war is better than endgame because it's more daring, but I haven't seen endgame since the cinema and I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
  • Endgame pales in comparison to Infinity War imo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK wrote:
    I enjoyed the 3 (or was it 4?) ensemble Avengers films even though I didn't watch any of the supporting stuff. My latent Marvel knowledge from my comics reading childhood probably helped it. They are wondrous things really - it walks a thin line - stray at all and they could have become an unfocussed mess. They hang together rather well. The one thing that I thought didn't seem right was Thanos v Hulk which was never adequately explained - that issue was just brushed aside...maybe that happened in the comics or was there an explanation in a supporting film?

I can't work out what you mean by this Davy. What wasn't explained?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can't work out what you mean by this Davy. What wasn't explained?

How he was beaten and why he just ran away. It's the effing Hulk here - a character who gets stronger as you hurt him and he gets angrier. So what was the story with the Thanos fight? Reminded me of the eagles being ignored in LoTR.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Endgame pales in comparison to Infinity War imo.

Yeah - End game reduces down to a formulaic caper film. Fair enough - the story does leave the author boxed in at the end of Infinity War.
  • g.man wrote:
    Endgame pales in comparison to Infinity War imo.

Endgame was pants.
  • I liked Endgame for what it was a giant orgasm after 19 films. I liked infinity war a lot less.

I don’t think I really thought much of many of the marvel films. There’s not enough emphasis on the action (it feels like their philosophy is “we’ll imply the punch” - so things will zoom out or flash to the baddie rather than the hit).

I think my favourite of the super hero films is Wonder Woman precisely because they cared about the action. Of the marvels I think Black Panther was probably my favourite and maybe doctor strange.
  • davyK wrote:
    How he was beaten and why he just ran away. It's the effing Hulk here - a character who gets stronger as you hurt him and he gets angrier. So what was the story with the Thanos fight? Reminded me of the eagles being ignored in LoTR.

Oh right. Thanos is as strong and way smarter. Hulk is stupid and has absolutely no finesse.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Oh right. Thanos is as strong and way smarter. Hulk is stupid and has absolutely no finesse.

I suppose. Thanos being the genius he is would have a strategy. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. :)
  • Nah, you're not, it was just pants. Infinity was glorious and set a tone the next couldn't follow.
  • Endgame also fucked me off because we always knew there would be some sort of time-fuckery or parallel universe bullshit going on, which is fine, but on first viewing of IW, you couldn't help but notice things like Captain America now has a beard, or Black Widow's hair is suddenly blonde. To me this kind of pointed to them doing clever shit with the characters to make them look subtly, but noticeably different from their other selves when the time-fuckery kicked in. 
    There really was a tonne of incidental changes to the appearances of individual heroes, so this seemed like a well thought out no-brainer. Ooooh, I see what you're doing here and it's clever!
    Turns out that none of this was in any way relevant, and they didn't really have a clever plan at all. Probably just wanted to sell more toys.
    *shrug*
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I still don't understand. Are there 2 Captain Americas in the world?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah.....Thanos had the power infinity stone in the gauntlet when he beat the Hulk.

These things matter.
  • Kow wrote:
    I still don't understand. Are there 2 Captain Americas in the world?
    Fucked if I know.
  • Got to admit I'm not sure I remember all that much of the plot of Endgame.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!