The Last Guardian and all things Ueda pasty present and future
  • JonB wrote:
    Never mind, turns out it was me being a moron.

There are actually
    Spoiler:
    Spent about half an hour trying other things in the main room before noticing that. Oops.

Yeah that bit got me. That chain does fuck all until later. Spent fucking ages pissing about.

• Finished it off this morning. It's an amazing game.
    Spoiler:
    TL;DR: GOTY.
  • Also, I haven't read about 50 pages of this thread since ducking out just after it launched. Will spend some time going back through and reading other badgers' thoughts.
  • Everyone thought it was amazing.

That's basically the gist.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JRPC wrote:
    Everyone thought it was amazing. That's basically the gist.
    Ha. I've seen the over spill into other threads, so I know it's divisive. Just want to read in more detail.
  • Happy to update your GotY list. ;)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's the best and worst goty, depending on how much of an idiot you are how catmoran behaved for you.
  • JonB wrote:
    Finished it off this morning. It's an amazing game.
    Spoiler:
    TL;DR: GOTY.

Agree with pretty much all of that.
  • Me too, but I like Nick's review best.

His point about the clumsy controls feeding into it was bang on.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    It's the best and worst goty, depending on how much of an idiot you are how catmoran behaved for you.
    Did it actually break for anyone? As far as the communication difficulties between boy and beast go, I took that at part of the deal from the beginning and was happy to run with it, even when it involved waiting around or repeating commands. Otherwise we might as well be playing A Boy and His Blob.

• Exactly.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yes I broke for me a few times, one time requiring a complete restart and losing several hours. It's not like it's the first game to do this, but the game wasn't amazing enough to help me see past it.
  • Broke how?

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Communication is fine, seems reasonable. Apart from the obvious problems of wonky camera and shoddy controls, the problem is the game is dull. If you don't one hundred percent buy into the relationship between cat thing and the boy then you're not left with much.
  • Which is why I struggle to see where Jon gets most of his comments from. This game dreams of being half as good as Tomb Raider. While the animation of the beast is amongst the best you'll see, there's nothing remotely cutting edge about the gameplay. Quite the opposite.
  • My worst game of 2016. But that's just my opinion. Didn't get the connection, thought the gameplay was stuck at the beginning of last gen, and it was very dull.
  • It's the most un-repayable game in history. I'd never want to go through it again.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - it's the most amazing shit game I've ever played.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    Broke how?

Chain became attached to cats head permanently, cage sinking into the floor and getting stuck.
  • I feel like playing it all over again.
  • I stated it again straight away. Gonna go back and play with Torico more.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I should probably have another go. Catbird's head going through the scenery a few times during the opening 30 minutes really put me off. I didn't even get a chance to hate the controls or camera.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I did it again after about a month's break and loved it again. I even had actual human feelings at almost all of the key moments. Then I did a bit of a 3rd playthrough because I noticed that I only needed a few more barrels to unlock the paintfeather which is fun.

I had a similar experience to you, Jon, in that some of the peril was revealed as the false kind during a few set-pieces. Those were, however, brief moments in a dozen hours of being completely swept up in it so easily forgiven.

The only thing that snagged on both playthroughs was
    Spoiler:
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I played through it a second time shortly after the first and there was one part that actually hit me more intensely than on the first play through.
    Spoiler:
    Get schwifty.
  • Dubs wrote:
    The only thing that snagged on both playthroughs was
    Spoiler:
    Yes.
    Spoiler:
  • It's the only bit I disliked in the game and where it had me cursing the game and not myself.
  • A couple of hours in to a second run. It's great that I can focus more on the details of the creature now, since I'm not having to work out what to do so much. Also, it's interesting to be reminded how much the relationship develops throughout the game by going back and seeing what wasn't possible at the start. Mostly it's that the beast will only follow you, and won't jump anywhere before you go there yourself.

And now I've got to the bit where you can issue commands, it seems to work much more reliably, I guess because I know what I'm doing more this time. It just all seems quite clear, and Trico has so far responded quickly to everything.
  • Caught up with the thread. It's funny reading it back, as come of the criticisms people have are some of my favourite things about it. Not stuff like camera and controls (the boy needed a movement speed between full on running and the not particularly useful tip-toeing - could've had a normal walk and used L2 as a run button in fact), but stuff like barrels bouncing off Trico's nose when you throw them (pretty sure that means you were standing too close for it to react BTW) or it struggling to pick them off the floor with its big clumsy beak, so you need to go and help it out.

As for the game's title
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Caught up with the thread. It's funny reading it back, as come of the criticisms people have are some of my favourite things about it. Not stuff like camera and controls (the boy needed a movement speed between full on running and the not particularly useful tip-toeing - could've had a normal walk and used L2 as a run button in fact), but stuff like barrels bouncing off Trico's nose when you throw them (pretty sure that means you were standing too close for it to react BTW) or it struggling to pick them off the floor with its big clumsy beak, so you need to go and help it out.

As for the game's title
    Spoiler:

Not another YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG defence is it? Again, we've covered this. Having to stand in exactly the right spot is a result of poor AI and collision detection. Dress it up as Trico not paying attention, standing too close or whatever you want but if you throw him a barrel he's pining for (eyes lit up) and it bounces off his mouth it's because the game is fucking up. Nothing more.

It's also amusing that the beast can deftly pluck you out of the air by the collar as you're falling past him at great speed (sometimes, as on occasions the same AI and collision detection snafu means he misses and you fall to your death. Or he's just being grumpy if that's how you choose to perceive it.) yet a barrel on the floor is completely beyond the capabilities of its mouth.

It's great that so many have enjoyed it, but it's a shame that it requires you to make so many excuses and turn a blind eye so often, and hope you don't encounter a glitch which requires a restart.
  • The framerate isn't poor, its just the boy blinking lots because he's allergic to feathers.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!