Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:

In what you describe, you may have a more realistic creature, but you sacrifice the interaction involved in developing the relationship between it and the boy. I think that interaction was a major part of the game, so I wouldn't want to lose it.

Sneaky edit there, I almost missed it.

You don't sacrifice anything, as he can still catch it if the conditions are met. It's just that the fail condition doesn't result in a break of immersion.

Again, it's all subjective. Some people appear happy with him not picking up the barrel and having to replace it for him and hoping he doesn't knock it over again. I'm not really sure I can swallow the too close/reaction time thing to be honest, he's part cat not a cracked out zombie, surely he can react to the boy's throw in time? He doesn't even try, just watches it as it hits his face like Santa's Little Helper on the other page. Silly catbird.
  • Sorry, it was a fast edit - thought I'd get it in before anyone had read the post.

It just seems to me that people wanted or expected different experiences in the end. As I said, some of the fixes people have suggested sound less appealing to me (which isn't to say there are no actual faults), so what I want isn't what you want and vice versa, but what we got was closer to what I want. Looking at it that way, however, I don't think it can all be put down to poor coding and making excuses (as has sometimes been implied).
  • Aye, some people were clearly just playing it wrong.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Aye.
  • JonB wrote:
    Sorry, it was a fast edit - thought I'd get it in before anyone had read the post. It just seems to me that people wanted or expected different experiences in the end. As I said, some of the fixes people have suggested sound less appealing to me (which isn't to say there are no actual faults), so what I want isn't what you want and vice versa, but what we got was closer to what I want. Looking at it that way, however, I don't think it can all be put down to poor coding and making excuses (as has sometimes been implied).

The thing is, what I wanted, what I hoped for, is the experience others have had. clearly, though, I'm going to have to repeat myself; there is a difference, in my mind a very clear difference, between deliberate 'failures' which are programmed in, to give us the experience of a boy and a creature learning how to interact with each other, and actual failures where the code clearly doesn't work as intended. I understand the difficulty you're having accepting this, because you're barking up the wrong tree.

Let me equate it to driving a car with an intermittent fault. You take it to the garage, they drive the car and don't experience the fault. That doesn't mean that your car isn't broken, and it doesn't mean that you're driving it wrong, but fuck me, it makes it annoying to drive the car, never knowing when the fault is going to come back.

TLG is a car with multiple intermittent faults. It's all the more frustrating, because it's a Mercedes with all the optional extras, but they've only given you an oval track with speed bumps to drive it on.
  • I think that analogy only works if the "fault" is something that the majority of people absolutely love about the car and maybe it's the best car they've ever driven and it goes on to win lots of Car of the Year awards and it turns out you're just driving it wrong.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • No. You still don't get it. There's a difference between the deliberate 'failures' which are part of the charm, and code that doesn't work. The game has both. I get that the former has appeal, but the latter is fucking annoying. I'm wondering why you're finding this so hard to grasp, and you can fuck off with your continued 'doing it wrong' shite.
  • Some of the things that seem to you to be clearly unarguably faults, do not seem to be clearly unarguably faults to me (and others). In fact, they seem to be quite intentional details that enhance the game.

I've explained why I think that more than I ever wanted to. You being certain about your position doesn't convince me otherwise.
  • No, because we're talking about different things. Unless you mean that various things in the game (barrels, Tricos, boys, walls, floors, chains) are meant to glitch inside each other, or fail to register contact with each other.

I know and understand all the bits of the game where Trico is meant to be a bit frustrating. I can see the bits that are designed. It would just be nice if some of you recognised that some of us also experienced various things that were actually broken. Your utter refusal to accept that, just because you didn't see it, is tantamount to calling us fucking idiots. It's fucking bullshit, and it's fucking tiresome.
  • We weren't even talking about that. What the fuck are you doing?
  • I like to imagine a car that feels cool to drive and looks amazing zipping along a road but when you look under the bonnet of my imaginary car it's boring.
  • Andy wrote:
    or fail to register contact with each other.

Like barrels.
  • What the fuck lol, this page, this discussion. Just lol.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • BIIIIIILLLY!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Some of the things that seem to you to be clearly unarguably faults, do not seem to be clearly unarguably faults to me (and others). In fact, they seem to be quite intentional details that enhance the game.

I've explained why I think that more than I ever wanted to. You being certain about your position doesn't convince me otherwise.

And that's the crux of it. Obviously I don't see it like that, and it seems to me you could find a reason for all sorts of janky things that happen and explain them away with a wave of your hand if you want to.

The narrator spews out a piece of information at the wrong time because he's an old guy now, and he might not be remembering them in the correct order. The boy goes from agonisingly slow tiptoe to full speed arm waving run because he's obviously constantly scared, yes, even when he breaks into the running on the spot thing without an enemy in sight it's completely intentional. Trico misses the boy as he's falling resulting in a fail state and restart which the player has no control over because he's a real life animal FFS he might not have been paying attention, has slow reactions, whatever, it's put in there as a humorous alternative ending to the set piece, now you get to play it again with the true ending, you lucky devil. He can't catch a barrel thrown right at him as it's a deliberate decision to reinforce the idea that the relationship between the boy and Trico is a charmingly clumsy one, even though it comes with the cost of making Trico look suspiciously like a poorly programmed AI without the necessary pathfinding and animation to just pick the barrel up from the floor.

Even if you decide everything in the game is a deliberate decision made by the developers, they're not all good ones are they?

There's just so much crap in here that you really have to get on board with to fully enjoy it, and that's without getting into the camera, issuing commands (this is one I've actually had least bother with, bizarrely. But others have and I'd not be able to say with confidence, given what I know of the rest of the game, that it's 100% down to the player.) and outright glitches.
  • Rather than saying that JRPC doesn't get your analogy Andy, perhaps you just don't get The Last Guardian. I don't get Dark Souls.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yes you do
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • JonB wrote:
    Some of the things that seem to you to be clearly unarguably faults, do not seem to be clearly unarguably faults to me (and others). In fact, they seem to be quite intentional details that enhance the game. I've explained why I think that more than I ever wanted to. You being certain about your position doesn't convince me otherwise.
    And that's the crux of it. Obviously I don't see it like that, and it seems to me you could find a reason for all sorts of janky things that happen and explain them away with a wave of your hand if you want to. The narrator spews out a piece of information at the wrong time because he's an old guy now, and he might not be remembering them in the correct order. The boy goes from agonisingly slow tiptoe to full speed arm waving run because he's obviously constantly scared, yes, even when he breaks into the running on the spot thing without an enemy in sight it's completely intentional. Trico misses the boy as he's falling resulting in a fail state and restart which the player has no control over because he's a real life animal FFS he might not have been paying attention, has slow reactions, whatever, it's put in there as a humorous alternative ending to the set piece, now you get to play it again with the true ending, you lucky devil. He can't catch a barrel thrown right at him as it's a deliberate decision to reinforce the idea that the relationship between the boy and Trico is a charmingly clumsy one, even though it comes with the cost of making Trico look suspiciously like a poorly programmed AI without the necessary pathfinding and animation to just pick the barrel up from the floor. Even if you decide everything in the game is a deliberate decision made by the developers, they're not all good ones are they? There's just so much crap in here that you really have to get on board with to fully enjoy it, and that's without getting into the camera, issuing commands (this is one I've actually had least bother with, bizarrely. But others have and I'd not be able to say with confidence, given what I know of the rest of the game, that it's 100% down to the player.) and outright glitches.
    A couple of things you mention there are things I've also mentioned as issues. I said there should be a movement speed between creeping and running and that the narration came in too early a couple of times. (As for the slow motion falling bits, you do have some control, but whatever.)

I've not accused anyone of playing it wrong. I've not dismissed anything that other people may have experience that I didn't. I've not made excuses for every issue people (including me) have had with the game. So, yeah, I dunno. I'll leave it there.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I wasn't putting those words in your mouth Jon, just stating that there are a myriad of issues that cropped up for me while playing that I was unable to dismiss as intentional or whatever. They're pretty minor too, and I can understand people getting arsey about me talking about those fucking barrels again, but they all add up and weigh the game down so much. I think Skondo is right, I just don't get it.
  • I'm fine with the discussion, and certainly don't want to piss anyone off. Just got caught up talking about the finer points of eating barrels for too long, I guess.

I'm probably trying to put off getting back to work.
  • What's wrong with the barrels?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Some people were throwing them wrong.
  • The coding was too subtle.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I blame @CoopersGreen he should have made them tastier
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • it's mad that some people were getting glitches so often. I saw a handful at most in my two runs, and they were pretty basic like the odd physics glitch catapulting something across the screen, or the boys limbs getting tangled. I would really like to see a video of it happening.
  • I would say floppy limb is one of the best things about this and Ico. Was essential to the hand holding in ico.
  • The only issue I had was the camera getting stuck at one point, so I had to hop off Trico. No stuff seting stuck, or glitching through things.
  • Edit: I should stop killing off conversation in this thread with my nonsense.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!