• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PS1

Vib Ribbon Delightful animation. The music generated tracks turns your CD collection into a game, and the on-disc J pop is glorious.

RType Delta Lovely big pixelly polys are thrown around at speed but the game is still 2D. Great version of RType - pushes Final for best ever.

Bishi Bashi Special Out weirds Wario Ware. 

Kurushi/Kurishi Final Splendid block rolling puzzle/action game. Wonderful , unique presentation with minimalist graphics and epic orchestral soundtrack.

Turn About Ultra basic puzzle game - rotate the entire level and make coloured gems slide about and disappear when they collide if the same colour. Fiendish level design that cranks up in difficulty quickly is further bolstered by a level editor.

In The Hunt Metal Slug in a submarine. Lovely detailed 2D artwork. It's a slow paced STG but is manic at the same time.

Wipeout 3SE Lovely graphical upgrade and loads of tracks.

Power Diggerz Weird but wonderful JCB arcade "sim". The control scheme uses both sticks and every button on the PS1 controller but still manages to feel natural. The game starts off with basic stuff like loading sand onto a lorry and ends up having you dish up giant curries.

Puchi Carat Home version of a Taito arcade game which is a fusion of Breakout and Bust-a-Move. More than a straight port though - it has some extra modes and the special edition comes with a paddle controller.

Castlevania Chronicles Late release - this is a redux of an obscure Japanese only Sharp computer version of Castlevania. Excellent old school linear game - features a straight port and an arrange mode with touched up graphics and a slightly more generous difficulty level. Complete the game to unlock an addictive time attack mode.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • SNES

01. Street Fighter II: Turbo
    02. Super Mario Kart
    03. Super Mario World
    04. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    05. Flashback
    06. Starfox
    07. Super Punch Out
    08. Illusion of Time
    09. Final Fantasy II (IV)
    10. Super Ghouls & Ghosts
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Atari 2600

Kaboom! Ultimate twitch game using paddle control. Catch the bombs in the buckets - brutally simple, but the life system which sees each life loss move you up the screen, and the brutal speed (this game has to be played at 60Hz) elevate this to greatness.

Warlords or Medieval Mayhem(homebrew) Another paddle game. Four players deflect and aim fireballs to break down each other's castle wall to score a kill. Incredibly competitive. The homebrew version 1ups the original with better graphics more fireballs and more options.

Maze Craze An early game so the graphics are blocks , and you need 2 players, but the mazes are generated by algorithm so it's a different maze every time and there are over 200 ways to play the basic first-out-of-the-maze gameplay. Among the options are enemies to avoid, enemies to catch, invisible sections and fake walls , all making for great variety.

Megamania Proper old school vertical STG with graphics that still pass muster. 8 levels to defeat but subsequent loops introduce more speed and more challenging patterns with a target of 1m points to beat the game.

Super Breakout As close to a perfect game as you can be. The 4 modes deliver all the variations on basic brick breaking you could need and they make Arkanoid look like it's trying too hard. Super smooth paddle control rewards high levels of skill and concentration. The challenge, to beat 10,000 points in each mode will only be achieved by the few, and may well be impossible in the sweat inducing progressive mode with its advancing walls.

Demon Attack A seemingly straightforward vertical STG but it has a certain something. You gain a 1UP for each wave you defeat without a life loss. Later levels with splitting demons and tracer bullets soon pare away at the stock you build up  and the way your new ship appears with no regard for bullet location doesn't help either. There are some 2 player modes in which control switches every few seconds which gives rise to some interesting tactics. Looks and sounds are timeless.

Jr Pacman  Last and best of the pacman series on the Atari. This is painfully hard with large scrolling mazes, high speed play and aggressive ghosts. Just clearing one level feels like an achievement. A really solid port - great control, decent graphics and good use of sound complete the arcade feel.

Solar Fox Really solid port of an old arcade game. Based on clearing different grid layouts while avoiding enemy shots and firing back. Highly compulsive.

Thrust High quality homebrew that is a technical miracle. The Gravitar inspired home game gets a flawless port to the old 2600 with no compromises in graphics, sound or challenge.

Combat The original 2 player versus game. Control tanks in mazes or biplanes and jets in single screen wraparound arenas and try to hit your opponent more times than he or she hits you in 2 and a half minutes. Highly competitive and some great variations ; particularly the tank games with bullets that bounce off the maze walls.
  • Hmmm. Want to fit in Manhunt in my top 10 PS2, which is the format I played it on, and was thinking that GH2 could be the casualty. But I guess I could just add it to XBox list instead as that list won't even have many games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GameCube:

1. Metroid Prime
    2. Resident Evil 4
    3. Super Mario Sunshine
    4. Zelda Twilight Princess
    5. Zelda Wind Waker
    6. Viewtiful Joe
    7. Killer 7
    8. Soul Calibur 2
    9. Super Monkey Ball
    10. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Never got round to playing much of Four Sword Adventures, otherwise that would most probably be in there. :(
  • Fuck, I didn't put GGX2 into my PS2 top 10. Maybe I'll put it in the Wii list as an update was released on that.
  • Fuck fuck, Gradius V should be in my PS2 top 10.

Fuck fuck fuck, this isn't working.
  • Top 10 personal trips on THE HYPETRAIN

1. Landstalker for £25 in Terry's Games, Beckenham.  One pre-owned copy that literally had my name on it; held for one week while I invented new chores to do for neighbours and relatives (I only painted the visible part of the shed at the back of my gran's garden, but took the fiver anyway.  Feel a bit bad about that but my dad was fine with it and she hadn't been all the way back there since the 80s). 
    2. Sonic 3.  I bought every magazine with screenshots in for at least four months in the run-up to the PAL release.  Could've bought another two pre-owned games with that money, easily.
    3. Ocarina of Time.  Bought the game for £50, didn't own an N64.  'Nuff said. 
    4. Sonic The Hedgehog, Master System port.  # BIT OF A LATHER.  Tears were shed when Index didn't have it.
    5. Sonic 2sday. I'd known where my Megadrive was hidden for weeks, and what page the 'do no blow on cart' symbol was on in the Japanese El Viento instruction manual. T Minus 9 days from birthday to 2sday...
    6. Streetfighter II: Special Champion Edition.  Fare thee well, chip shops and cab offices.
    7. Trials Evolution.  I may have lost sleep.  At 30yrs old.
    8. Doom on 32X.  Texture mapping zomg.  Massive strop when the console arrived and I couldn't get the metal plates in because my hands were probably wobbling.
    9. Final Fantasy VII.  Bought my first non Sega console for it.  Was a big deal.
    10. Toot Toot!  Dark Savior, Halo 2, NiGHTS, Fighters Megamix, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Metal Gear Solid, Shenmue.
  • Utterly shocked that someone owned an N64, played so presumably owned at least 10 games, and none of them was Mario 64.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.
  • Kurushi can go to hell.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    @youknowwhoyouare Top 10 collectors editions?

Give me some time, I need to think about it. Dark Souls 2 will probably be near the top.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Kurushi can go to hell.

Ouch. I love it.
  • Anyway, top 10 speccy brought to you with no thought whatsoever.

FW Dizzy and all the other Dizzys
    R-Type
    Lords of Midnight
    Tetris
    Hyper sports
    Super Robin Hood
    Rainbow Islands
    BMX Simulator
    Chase HQ
    Daley Thompson's Decathlon
  • Top Ten mags

Your Sinclair
    Arcade
    Edge
    Crash
    Gamesmaster
    Amiga Format
    Games TM
    Retro Gamer
    Super play
    N64 mag / NGC
  • Top Ten Amiga Demo discs/indie wot I played more than the full games I had.

1. Some Bomberman clone with 5 player
    2. Uridium 2
    3. Revenge of the Mutant Camels
    4. Some mental game in which you played Santa with infinite jump and crazy shit happening
    5. Cannon Fodder
    6. Lemmings 2
    7. Top Banana
    8. A puzzle/platformer where you played a slinky on an ice planet
    9. A football type game where the ball was a giant ball bearing and the players were rc cars.
    10. Deluxe paint 3(?)

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PS2

RType Final This is the Gran Turismo of STGs. Once you get enough levels, ships , forces and orbs unlocked the score attack mode really comes into it's own. It's one reason why I bought a PS2.

Gradius V And this is the other reason. Gradius had lost it's way - III and IV were harsh joyless drudges in which the game was effectively over after the first life loss due to power up loss. The devs had long forgotten the glory of the balance of the first two games. This is a return to form.

Ico More is communicated through the simple act of hand holding than a Bluray's worth of cut scenes. A beautiful atmospheric giant puzzle.

Amplitude A brilliant rhythm/music game that doesn't need extra pieces of plastic. Highly accessible (more so than its predecessor) and rewarding.

Sky Odyssey As close as anyone has come to a Pilotwings sequel. It's plane only and it's a an early title that suffers a wee bit from fogging but this is a delightful game with a wide range of planes and varied challenges.

Outrun 2006 : Coast to Coast A glorious labour of love this. A generous helping of modes and a gorgeous looking game too with nutty but loveable handling. Pure arcade driving.

Metal Slug 3 Best of the batch released on PS2 and there are also exclusive mini games to enjoy.

Raiden III This is how an STG should be done. It's an old school game but the features and modes are an example to all. Various display modes , including TATE, a boss rush, hi-score tables for every mode, a separate score attack mode and score table for each level, a nuts double mode in which you control two ships at once, 2 player versus and coop modes, and record and playback support. Costly in PAL but worth an import.

Flipnic Takes the pinball genre and stretches it to breaking point. Huge multi-layered tables that would be impossible outside the digital realm and sumptuous presentation throughout.

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology Accessible fighting before Capcom went overboard with the hardcore stuff. This game has every tweaked and enhanced version with modes and options galore packed onto the disc to be unlocked with repeated play and there's the bonus of Pocket Fighter thrown in for good measure.
  • Christmas Lemmings should be on a list somewhere.
  • Xmas Lemmings woulda made my demo list but I actually had it.
    More games these days should put the effort it Xmas stuff, GTA did a good job of it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gamecube

Super Monkey Ball With Super Breakout and Tetris, this game needs no improvements. The sequels proved the point. Lovely looking, sublime control and a challenge to match all abilities in the main game and the supporting mini-games stoke the value up and could with a little effort almost be full titles themselves.

F-Zero GX It's a bit too hard probably, but the tracks are glorious and Sega has embued an epic feel to the game. Looks and sounds brilliant and the split screen multiplayer is better than it should be for reasons unknown.

Wario Ware inc One of the finest 4 player games I have ever encountered. Hilarious in multi-player while becoming an obsession for the single player.

Mario Kart DD Oft regarded as the poor relation but the Gamecube has the power to render the interactive cartoon that earlier games tried to be. The 2 drivers per kart feature allows for tactical selection of complementary weapons and the co-op mode has more to it than meets the eye as players have to work together to get drift boosts. There's also a LAN mode for the determined that supports up to 16 players in 8 karts in co-op mode.

Kururin Squash A JPN only release which is a shame. This is the big brother of the GBA game. Excellent control and up to 4 players can race and take part in some Monkey Ball inspired mini games.

Castle Shikigami II Another JPN import. This is a beautiful vertical shmup with compulsive gold collecting gameplay and hi-risk bullet scraping to up the firepower and the points. Gorgeous artwork and choice of two soundtracks and an extreme mode for the highly skilled. Character choice extends the replay value as they play very differently.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat Safe to say not a lot people played this. It was a late release that uses the bongo controller. The graphics are lovely and the game is designed to be replayed many times due to its score attack nature. The bongo controller works very well and the game is basically a joy to play.

Smash Bros Melee Highly accessible yet chaotic fighting game that appears to be an endlessly deep game for the hardcore. The sheer amount of content on offer is mind boggling. The menu system has entire game styles and modes hidden away and the amount of options that are on offer allow you to create new game types within the main modes. Extremely well presented throughout and is choked with fan service goodies.

Mario Smash Football Mario themed football/soccer game that is one step removed from the usual Mario skinned sports game. The matches are violent and the graphics have a gritty feel to them. Games are end to end and full of action resulting in ridiculous scores but that's part of the fun. The multi player mode is optimal but there is plenty of content for the single player with the usual cup format to play through.

Pacman Vs Miyomoto does Pacman and makes it multi-player. You need at least 3 people and a GBA with linkup cable (and probably wave birds to stop the cables getting tangled). This got Nintendo onto asymmetric gaming but its unlikely they will top this formula. A riot of a game that forces temporary alliances to form and break up as each minute passes.
  • Oh shit I missed Arkanoid 2 revenge of doh off my list.
  • Feel free to amend your lists. I'll start compiling scores when I get more than 5 for each platform/ snack.
    I have tried to fill out the op with badgers top tens, these will change once I start to compile them
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • WorKid wrote:
    Top Ten mags Your Sinclair Arcade Edge Crash Gamesmaster Amiga Format Games TM Retro Gamer Super play N64 mag / NGC

1. Diehard Gamefan (by a nose, because enthusiasm)
    2. Maximum
    3. Edge (1998-2008ish)
    4. Official Sega/Sega Saturn Saturn Magazine
    5. Mean Machines/Early Mean Machines Sega
    6. Gamer's Republic (short-lived follow up to Gamefan)
    7. High Five era CVG
    8. Sega Power ('Dan's Crap Corner' was a bit much for the children's doodles that were sent in to the gallery though.  Not sour grapes guv, honest).
    9. Official Dreamcast Magazine (the Ed Lomas one, think it was official)
    10. Retro Gamer
  • Cheers! Its my first ever thread so thought I'd put some effort in.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    ANOTHER LIST THREAD

1410306113977_zps31c32b5c.gif
  • It is a list of lists thread.
  • I actually like this list thread. I'm not a fan in general but I like the idea of looking at the OP and seeing what games I haven't played on various consoles that I still own.

Up with this sort of thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!