Bear & Badger Recommends
  • davyK wrote:
    4. Salt & Vinegar Discos

Have you had these recently?  Unless I had a dodgy packet, it's a sad state of affairs.  That wonderful salty snack brain freeze type thing from too much favour at the bottom?  That's gone.

Tizer also tastes nothing like Tizer any more.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Almost had an anxiety attack watching this.

http://youtu.be/zbev3RwQhWo

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sega Saturn

Baku Baku More people should have got to play this. Yes - it's "just"a match symbol pit puzzle game. But the animal/food matching mechanic is unusual and makes chaining more enjoyable that just colour matching. The presentation standard is high throughout and graphically this has aged rather well.

Athlete Kings aka Decathlete The 3D graphics still look solid today and the gameplay is sufficiently varied to raise it above the usual button mashing effort. It's highly competitive and has that magical Sega arcade feel.

Layer Section Magnificent port of the Taito arcade game with an enhanced soundtrack. Visually miraculous in TATE mode. Just a wonderful old-school shmup that you don't get any more.

Saturn Bomberman Best version of one of the best same room multi-player games. Up to 10 players, definitive option mode and for once an excellent one or two player main game with gorgeous hand-drawn sprites, and unique to Saturn - a highly addictive and replayable one player score attack Master mode. 

Oshaberi Parodius Best of the series. Choc full with content. Some Saturn exclusive content such as an arrange mode and a duet mode for setting which player gets the most attention in 2 player mode. The Saturn hurls dozens of sprites around without a hiccup while pushing out hilarious Japanese commentary and the nutty soundtrack. Hidden fairy side quests  ,a huge roster of characters (the biggest in the series) with more to unlock round this out.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei Graphically is ageing now but the control remains super slick. Excellent episodic on-rails shooter with lots of atmosphere.

Marvel Super Heroes vs Streetfighter Capcom gave sterling support to the Saturn and used the 4MB expansion cart to create a series of games that pissed all over the efforts on the PS1. This is the 2nd "versus" game. Gorgeous 2D fighter with 2 characters per side and the whole thing runs with zero load times.

Sega Rally Only 4 tracks - but what tracks they are. Sega at their best, and the control is silky smooth and so rich there is always room for improvement.

Nights Misunderstood. It's a score attack game based around collecting objects on set paths that contain some branches and alternate rotes. Sounds simple but this game just oozes charm. A bit dodgy looking in places now but still gorgeous in others; the control still stands up and the scoring system makes for infinite replay value. Balletic expert playthroughs look more impressive in this game than in any other. Throw in the Xmas Nights disc (has there ever been a better magazine giveaway?) for a seasonal twist that's an evergreen must play tradition to those who own it.

Twinkle Star Sprites Still the definitive version of this puzzle/STG fusion (The NeoGeo original's slowdown is an option that is unlocked on the first playthrough). Really needs a second player and then it's a highly competitive graphical firework display. Unique.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    4. Salt & Vinegar Discos
    Have you had these recently?  Unless I had a dodgy packet, it's a sad state of affairs.  That wonderful salty snack brain freeze type thing from too much favour at the bottom?  That's gone. Tizer also tastes nothing like Tizer any more.

It's been a long time admittedly.
  • Saturn:

Shining Force 3
    Nights: Into Dreams
    Guardian Heroes
    Dragon Force
    Mystaria: Realms of Lore
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Fighters Megamix
    Bomberman
    Panzer Dragoon Saga (apparently, once it's not £200 on Ebay I'll let you know)
    Baku Baku Animal

MegaDrive

Shining Force 2
    Phantasy Star IV
    Gunstar Heroes
    Streets of Rage 2
    General Chaos
    Sonic 2
    Comix Zone
    Toejam and Earl
    Shining Force
    Streets of Rage

Gamecube:

Metroid Prime
    F-Zero GX
    Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door
    Skies of Arcadia
    Tales of Symphonia
    Resident Evil 4
    Zelda: The Windwaker
    Super Monkeyball
    Wario Ware Mega Party Games
    Zelda: 4 Swords (with cables and GBA's)

Wii
    Mario Galaxy 1
    Mario Galaxy 2
    No More Heroes
    Little Kings Story
    Boomblox 2
    Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Excite-Truck
    Metroid Prime Collection
    Resident Evil 4
  • Commodore 64
    1. Skool Daze (Still one of my favourite games. Great catapult physics and random jumping at shields)
    2. Green Beret (Konami aka Rush n Attack with an ace Brilliant Sountrack)
    3. The Tube (Horizontal Shooter with some first person sections)
    4. Spy Vs Spy (Skill 2 player)
    5. Blue Max (Isomentric WW1 shooter)
    6. Rampage ( It was probably a really bad conversion but I loved it)
    7. Night Racer (Racing game with a car with a bomb in it)
    8.Hover Bovver (Lawn mowing sim by Jeff Minter featuring a dog)
    9.Last Ninja 2 (Beautiful Isomentric graphics but I never really knew what I was doing)
    10.Commando (First game I ever completed)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Alternative crisp list:

1. Salt 'n' Vinegar Chip Sticks
    2. Ready Salted Hula Hoops
    3. Pickled Onion Monster Munch
    4. RED HOT flavour Monster Munch
    5. Wotsits
    6. Frazzles
    7. Prawn Cocktail Walker's
    8. Roast Chicken Walker's
    9. Scampi Fries
    10. Flame Grilled Steak McCoys

Honourable mentions: Skips (OG & Prawn Cocktail), BBQ Pringles, Quavers, Smokey Bacon Wheat Crunchies, Nice 'n' Spicey Niknaks.

EDIT: forgot Worcester Sauce French Fries. Salt 'n' Vinegar are nice too.
    EDIT EDIT: I think original Skips may actually BE prawn cocktail flavoured. There's another, rarer flavour that's also nice if so.
  • Are they the ones that crumble into little bits at the bottom of the bag? If so, I don't care for them.

They're alright. I'd eat them, but I'm not raving about them.
  • They're great. Also, Niknaks.

*ffs didn't see them
  • PLACEHOLDER: THREAD OF THE YEAR EDITION.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard wrote:
    A little torn, and I know I'm gonna miss something fundamental and the Cinty will virtuaslap me in the morning.

I'd agree with that list. I thought it was remarkably solid, then looked down and saw you originally forgot my favourite game on the system, Ultimate G&G. How could you Cocko?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    What are the best recent point and click adventure games?
    The Blackwell Legacy Blackwell Unbound Blackwell Convergence Blackwell Deception Blackwell Epiphany Picked these up in a recent steam sale and they're awesome. Epiphany was released this year, the first four are older and appear in their own bundle.
    Excitingly, these are in the current humble bundle. I'd never heard of em before.
    Ah cool, didn't even know that! Was thinking they might turn up in one, one day. Everyone should try them at that price, remember to play them in the right order!

edit: this bundle is especially good because it includes android versions as well.
    edit 2: tried the first two blackwell games on android and for some reason there is no voice acting (not sure if it's a bug or what, it works with the 3rd), don't play the game without the speech.
  • JonB wrote:
    PS1: 
    Final Fantasy VII 
    Ridge Racer 
    Castlevania: SotN 
    Resident Evil 2 
    Suikoden 
    Front Mission 3 
    Bust-a-Move 2
    Tekken 3 
    Tomb Raider 
    Metal Gear Solid 
    Vandal Hearts
    I forgot Bust-a-Move 2. I used to play that so much.
  • I think PS1 and SNES are the toughest ones to do because they have so many great games. With SNES, you really have to restrict the first party, Square/Enix, and Konami games to a few each to have any room for anything else. So:

1. Super Metroid
    2. Streetfighter 2 Turbo
    3. Mario World/Yoshi's Island
    4. Final Fantasy VI
    5. Super Bomberman
    6. Zelda: Link to the Past
    7. Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    8. ISS Deluxe
    9. Secret of Mana
    10. Contra 3/Super Probotector
  • Exactly. Too many classic games, something's got to give.
  • The OP now has little format symbols. Superb work.
  • A quick glance at the Master System list reminds me I need to get a list done.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    you originally forgot my favourite game on the system, Ultimate G&G. How could you Cocko?

I know, oops. Also can all references to EA Hockey be corrected to NHLPA 93 which was clearly the game of the series
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • How about... top 10 consoles and handhelds:

1. SNES
    2. PS1
    3. Xbox 360
    4. PS2
    5. GBA SP
    6. Megadrive
    7. NES
    8. Atari 2600
    9. N64
    10. Gameboy
  • SNES:
    1) SMW & Mario Allstars (its on a single cart so surely counts?)
    2) Saturday Nights Slam Masters
    3) Super Street Fighter 2 (alpha has that annoying delay)
    4) Super Mario Kart
    5) Secret of Mana
    6) Shadowrun
    7) World Cup Striker
    8) Top Gear
    9) Super High Impact
    10) Axelay
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    SNES: 1) SMW & Mario Allstars (its on a single cart so surely counts?)

That is a good one. All Stars on it's own could qualify. I deliberately left it out because they appeared on NES.  Orange Box of it's day though.
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    PS1:  Final Fantasy VII  Ridge Racer  Castlevania: SotN  Resident Evil 2  Suikoden  Front Mission 3  Bust-a-Move 2 Tekken 3  Tomb Raider  Metal Gear Solid  Vandal Hearts
    Ah is that the dancing game? It was proper nuts! One character was called Hamm i think?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • JonB wrote:
    How about... top 10 consoles and handhelds: 1. SNES 2. PS1 3. Xbox 360 4. PS2 5. GBA SP 6. Megadrive 7. NES 8. Atari 2600 9. N64 10. Gameboy

What...no Dreamcast?

[Deleted User]
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    PS1:  Final Fantasy VII  Ridge Racer  Castlevania: SotN  Resident Evil 2  Suikoden  Front Mission 3  Bust-a-Move 2 Tekken 3  Tomb Raider  Metal Gear Solid  Vandal Hearts
    Ah is that the dancing game? It was proper nuts! One character was called Hamm i think?
    No, that was Bust a Groove. Bust-a-Move is aka Puzzle Bobble.
  • Eric wrote:
    How about... top 10 consoles and handhelds: 1. SNES 2. PS1 3. Xbox 360 4. PS2 5. GBA SP 6. Megadrive 7. NES 8. Atari 2600 9. N64 10. Gameboy
    What...no Dreamcast? [Deleted User]
    Mostly based on consoles I've owned (except PS2 and NES), which doesn't include DC. I was never that taken by the games on it when I played on friends' consoles though.

Something had to give.
  • Well damnit get Bust a Groove on that top ten ps1 list damnit.Gawd damnit
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Fair enough Jon B, can't recommend something if you've never had extended play on it. I never had a PS2 so would probably omit that, which would probably be more controversial.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!