Bear & Badger Recommends
  • I had a shot at a Nintendo DS list. TBH, I haven't played quite a few of the most highly rated games on it (Pokemon, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Bowser's Inside Story, GTA), so the last few may be fillers, but they're are all good games nonetheless.

1. Dragon's Quest IX
    2. Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
    3. Disgaea DS
    4. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    5. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    6. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
    7. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
    8. Advance Wars: DS
    9. Wario Ware: Touched
    10. Brain Training (because I played the shit out of the Sudoku on it)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Top 10 STGs

1. Mushihimesama Futari
    2. Oshaberi "Chatting" Parodius
    3. Super Aleste
    4. RType Final
    5. Gunbird 2
    6. Layer Section
    7. Fantasy Zone
    8. Gradius 1
    9. Castle Shikigami II
    10. DoDonPachi

Top 10 puzzle games
    1. Tetris
    2. Mr Driller
    3. Puyo Puyo 2
    4. Kurushi
    5. Shanghai Triple Threat
    6. Baku Baku
    7. Dr. Mario
    8. Wetrix
    9. Bust-a-Move 2
    10. Big Brain Academy
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    Kurushi can go to hell.
    Ouch. I love it.
    ditto
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Controllers

N64 pad
    Wiimote and Nunchuck combo
    Gamecube pad
    DC pad plus VMU
    SNES pad
    PS3 pad
    Rock band drums
    NES pad
    The joystick I had on my Amiga
    MegaDrive pad

• Things to use to scoop the gunk out of controller seams.

1. Safety pin
    2. Finger nail
    3. Toothpick
    4. Those floss stick things
    5. Pipe cleaner
    6. Blow on it
    7. That bit of plastic, that will do the job
    8. Razor blade
    9. Ham Sandwich
    10. Take it apart and clean it.
  • None of the above, not for the pre-analogue days anyway. Run it under a very hot tap, put it on a radiator, and resist the urge to check if it's OK for at least four hours.
  • Finger nail all the way, only 10 is superior if you can be arsed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I tend to use an unfolded staple/paperclip, failing that a folded bit of paper
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    An old tooth brush is good for cleaning grooves in controllers and consoles.
  • I always use my wife's toothbrush.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    OG Xbox list is GO!

1 - Knights of the Old Republic
    2 - Fable: The Lost Chapters
    3 - Halo CE
    4 - Otogi: Myth of Demons
    5 - PGR 2
    6 - Panzer Dragoon Orta
    7 - JSR Future
    8 - RalliSport Challenge 2
    9 - Jade Empire
    10 - MotoGP Ultimate Racing Technology
    Get schwifty.
  • Otogi was brilliant, I'll have to get that one into my list some how.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I can't remember a lot of the games I had on Xbox, but Ninja Gaiden and Stranger's Wrath should really be included in a top 10. Also maybe some multi-format stuff, like Prince of Persia Sands of Time.
  • KOTOR aside I can't remember a game I really loved on oldbox.
  • Oh, Beyond Good and Evil.
    GTAs get a pass.
    Everything else was solid enough but ultimately a bit meh.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It felt a bit pointless including multiplats in an Xbox list, so I didn't.
    Get schwifty.
  • I think I'd struggle to do a top 10 across all 4 consoles of the PS2 era let alone one for each.

Games that spring to mind:

PS2:
    Ico
    Shadows of the Colossus
    Contra Shattered Soldier
    Gradius V
    Stuntman

XB:
    Halo Combat Evolved
    Outrun 2

GC:
    Luigis Mansion
    Resident Evil 4

DC:
    Crazy Taxi
    Jet Set Radio

Most else of what I played were bitter dissapointments compared to their N64/PS predecessors.

Edit: I'll probably be able to squeeze 10 out of the PS2 and GC, will do them this weekend along with NES and some others.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Top ten things that are smaller than the original xbox

Mike Ashley
    A baby elephant
    Wembley Stadium
    Uluru
    The Ford Galaxy
    A blue whale
    The Maersk "Triple E" container ship
    Buckingham Palace
    The Estonian capital, Talinn
    Mars
  • @retro: are you serious? The PS2 alone had more great games than the previous gen combined. That's obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but you catch my drift.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just a peroid in which I didn't game much unfortunately.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Top ten Mario spin-off franchises

Mario Kart
    Mario Golf
    Dr Mario
    Mario and Luigi superstar saga etc
    Mario Party
    Paper Mario etc
    Mario Paint
    Mario Tennis
    Sonic and Mario Olympics
    Mario soccer (charged strikers )
  • Just a peroid in which I didn't game much unfortunately.

Thought that might be the case. That was with me in the PS1 era. I kinda played more as I got older and could afford all the consoles! I got N64 late with a few games. And Saturn even later with even fewer games played on it! But I bought ps2 Xbox and GC and played loads. Not as much on DC though.
  • Yeah, I guess that happens to most because of education and/or social life.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Top 10 non Mario platformers

Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose Beautiful graphics and the themed levels are extremely varied. The highlight is probably level 2 with the train section. The control is a delight and the music is another high point in yet another Konami gem on SNES.

Pop n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures Pastel hued platforming set in maze like levels with par times to chase. A rich control scheme and there's even a decent 2 player battle mode.

Plok Yellow Submarine inspired visuals complement the surreal Follin soundtrack. Levels vary between point to point style and bug hunts. The bosses are imaginative, the power up costumes with associated jingles charming,  and there's a sepia toned prequel section.

Chuckie Egg A blitzkrieg of a game with super fast gameplay helped by slick controls, great physics allowing huge falls and bounces of edges with no life loss, and a generous ladder grab ability delivers real thrills and spills. Highly addictive score chasing stuff. Beat the last level and discover a new loop with the rules changed. Nothing quite like it has been seen since.

Donkey Kong Country The graphics still look great and the soundtrack is very atmospheric. Despite it being standard run and jump stuff it has a certain something that keeps you playing. There are loads of secrets though the rewards aren't great but there's enough variety with mine cart runs, barrel firing and riding on animals backs to keep the interest up.

Jet Set Willy 2 : The Final Frontier The version that had the bugs of the original fixed and a new section in space added. A sprawling epic challenge that inspired me to map a game for the first and last time.

Quackshot I preferred this to the more popular Castle of Illusion. High quality graphics and soundtrack and great variety in the levels complement the treasure hunting theme. The plunger gun with it's ability to create your own platforms promised more than was delivered but this is still a highly entertaining game.

Lode Runner An evergreen game that keeps popping up each generation. It sits at the harder end of the gaming spectrum but completing tougher levels with their puzzle like layouts is extremely rewarding. Some games add extra gadgets which introduce some variety but the game is at it's best when kept simple. It can also support entertaining multi-player battle modes.

Bit.Trip Runner Pure platforming distilled down to timing when to jump or duck. The highly stylised graphics and sound (and especially the bonus levels) are a love letter to the Atari 2600. The way that the music is designed to synchronise with the level layouts means you start to feel the rhythm of the levels and it is an extremely compulsive experience. I still prefer the Wii original to 360 sequel even though is has more content - it just seems to have lost something along the way.

Out to Lunch Huge challenging collection game with utterly charming graphics and animation. Play as Pierre le chef who has to chase and catch runaway food themed to the levels set in different countries with complex layouts. Nab the food with your net while fighting off germs and killer wasps against a tight time limit. It is packed with secrets and the cute look hides the fact that this game is ultra hard. It initially looks very run-of-the-mill but once you start playing you notice all the lovely little touches and the solid game engine that allows every object in the game to interact allowing you to be imaginative (e.g. throw a flour bag into a teleporter pod and see it come out at the other pod and smack an enemy).
  • @davyK no Sonic or Kirby?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • WorKid wrote:
    Oh, Beyond Good and Evil.
    GTAs get a pass.
    Everything else was solid enough but ultimately a bit meh.

Burnout 3

• DC and a very boring looking (but quality) Saturn top 10.

DC:
    1. Crazy Taxi
    2. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    3. Jet Set Radio
    4. House of the Dead 2
    5. Virtua Tennis
    6. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
    7. Crazy Taxi 2
    8. Metropolis Street Racer
    9. Soul Calibur
    10. Sonic Adventure

Saturn:
    1. Street Fighter Alpha 2
    2. Street Fighter Alpha 3
    3. Street Fighter Alpha
    4. Virtua Cop
    5. Virtua Cop 2
    6. Sega Rally
    7. Athlete Kings
    8. Nights
    9. Daytona
    10. Panzer Dragoon

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You're making the Saturn look dull. Radiant Silvergun!!! PDSaga!!!!!!    Guardian Heroes!!!!!!!!    Nights!!!!!!!!!!!      Silhouette Mirage!!!!!!!!        Battle Garegga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Oh, you have Nights.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!