PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I need to read some comics and maybe death of wolverine isn't the best place to start.

Read whatever the fuck you like, there's no real "good" place to start, given the amount of stuff that's out there. I started* with a Silver Surfer limited run after playing Marvel Vs Capcom 3. From their I branched out to tons of stuff, and then pruned it all back- the only issues I get every month now are Detective Comics and Swamp Thing.

*By started I mean "got into Marvel/DC". As a kid read the Beano, as a teen I was into the X-Files comics, in my early twenties I bought a ton of indie TPBs and fell in love with Gaiman's Lucifer series.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The only monthly I'm getting now is Spider-Man 2099 because I loved the original run.

Get the collected volumes of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye and Transformers: Robots In Disguise when they're released.

Easily two of the best comic series I've ever read.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Get the collected volumes of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye and Transformers: Robots In Disguise

Who publishes those? I'd just google it but I reckon they're generic enough names I'd find tons of different things!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bob wrote:
    I need to read some comics and maybe death of wolverine isn't the best place to start.
    For DC heroes I would recommend JLA Deluxe Vol 1 by Grant Morrison.

I'm not a huge Marvel fan, but I loved Garth Ennis's run on The Punisher - about as extreme as it gets violence wise. Absolutely mental.

Also have a look at Preacher, which is one of the best series of comics ever.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Get the collected volumes of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye and Transformers: Robots In Disguise
    Who publishes those? I'd just google it but I reckon they're generic enough names I'd find tons of different things!

IDW Publishing. Think five volumes of each are already on comixology. They're set a good few years into IDW's Transformers continuity, so you may need to read some wikis just to get an overall view of what's happened before, but they're great reads anyway even without knowing the backstory.
  • Bob wrote:

Why not? It's a push for mass market, if anything it's a perfect place to start.
  • Hmm.. Well I'm going to town tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    IDW Publishing. Think five volumes of each are already on comixology. They're set a good few years into IDW's Transformers continuity, so you may need to read some wikis just to get an overall view of what's happened before, but they're great reads anyway even without knowing the backstory.

Snorted. I loved most of the Dreamwave stuff that came out around the turn of the millennium, but haven't really read any Transformers stuff since.
  • Catching up with Brandon Graham's Prophet. Think they could go a little leaner on the narration but otherwise this is just fucking flawless isn't it.

Okay now something else, which I'm sure has been chewed over many times and in many places - when did it become standard for 'mainstream' comics to just print the surnames of the authors on covers? It reeks of pompous and annoys the fuck outta me.
  • Yeah it's certainly 'a thing'
  • Finished what currently exists of Prophet. I kind of backtrack on the narration point, since it's full of oddball jargon and nomenclature that is ultimately in service to the texture of the work. Boux!

I love that it's simultaneously body-horrific and genuinely epic and humane.

Hard to believe we have fucking Liefeld to thank for all this. (Well, and a tankerload of Jean Giraud.)
  • Prophet is immense - well reminded, that's what this years vouchers will go on.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What's a good starting point for comics/graphic novels? I have access to them now so am willing to dip my toe in the water, got CBR reader installed.
  • Finding what you want to read is a pretty good start.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes, I figured that. I'll trawl through the millions of comics out there and find a few.
  • Watchmen and the walking dead are a good place to start, other favourites are the filth and from hell.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers sir, that's more like it!
  • Preacher is really good too as is The Boys.
  • Yes, I figured that. I'll trawl through the millions of comics out there and find a few.

Do you want drama, comedy, horror, ect. Realistic, supernatural, superheroes, sci fi?

I can give you a list of good stuff, but it's pointless if that's not the sort of thing your after. Say you'd asked for a good starting point for tv shows. There is no info there, I might suggest The Shield, when what you're actually after is Shooting Stars.
  • I'll second Preacher and for horror lols by the same writer check out the first volume of Crossed. Also, have a look at Prophet, it's good and weird.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes, I figured that. I'll trawl through the millions of comics out there and find a few.
    Do you want drama, comedy, horror, ect. Realistic, supernatural, superheroes, sci fi? I can give you a list of good stuff, but it's pointless if that's not the sort of thing your after. Say you'd asked for a good starting point for tv shows. There is no info there, I might suggest The Shield, when what you're actually after is Shooting Stars.

Well horror is the go to. Weird/odd stuff, not Captain America or other silliness.

Cheers for the heads up so far lads, will get on a binge shortly.
  • 30 days of night then. Hellblazer covers horror and weird/odd stuff,though it often does the 'real world is more horrifying than the supernatural world' thing

The Enigma of Amigara Fault is one of the creepiest things I've ever read.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I like that whole real world shiz. Cheers Dante, and guys, I've got a list now and will get stuck in this month.
  • I've read a ton (tonne?) of Harley Quinn comics that I received for Christmas, plus Batman: Hush. I've also got Prophet Vol. 1 to read, but am about to start Pretty Deadly. No idea about those last two, but looking forward to reading them.
  • I liked Watchmen. That's the only thing I've read.

Enigma of Amigara Fault is superb, great pick DD. You'd fucking love Uzumaki, DS, I reckon. 

125244311786.jpg
    uzumaki19916vp1.png
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've seen the film and adored it so will give that a go.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Read Hellstar Remina the other week. The man always entertains.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The next Kurosagi can't come soon enough. This embargo has lasted too long.

Just getting through the final book of Tezuka's- A message to Adolf.

It's really enjoyable.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!