Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Which comic character, famously green, was originally grey?
    Spoiler:

From today's One Good Fact email.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I finished Legend of the Scarlet Blades (Saverio Tenuta) recently which reminded me to jump back in here. It took me a few sittings to get through, it's quite intense at points but also one of the more original things I've read in the last year or so. The artwork is absolutely stunning and whilst the story perhaps doesn't reach the same heights, the second half in particular is excellent.

A few other bits I've read this year:
    Descender Vol 2 (Jeff Lemire) - I loved vol 1 but took me so long to get around to the second. It didn't disappoint and really need to get around to ordering the next few books. Lovely style and artwork, and a mix of intriguing/terrifying concepts that really good sci-fi does so well.

The Many Deaths of Laila Starr (Ram V.) - another solid Tin recommendation. A fascinating story about death but told in a more light hearted and somewhat positive manner that I appreciated, not least because it didn't kick in the old existential dread. Also reading something self contained was its own joy, need to do more of that. I have Daytripper on stand by too.

Battlefields Vol 1 (Garth Ennis) - a bit of shame this as I picked it up half remembering reading some of it on first publication in my younger years but it really didn't hold up. Not the first time I've experienced that with Ennis more recently so must be more selective on what I read. This was quite poor by any standard to be fair, schlocky and wasteful of interesting real life stories.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Latest Marvel What if? asks what would happen if Burke lived in Aliens. Bonus: it's co-written by the actor who played the corporate douchebag.

WHATIFALIENS2023001_CVR.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Why Don't You Love Me? by Paul B Rainey

I'm about to write a bit about this, but really, if you're happy to just take the recommendation blind don't read anything more than the next sentence, and then go get it. This is an absolute masterpiece - but you need to stick with it, trust me.

You need more? Fair enough. There's a lot I could say, although, again, I'd argue the less you know the better it is. If you must, then the blurb on the back by Neil Gaiman is a nigh perfect summary:

"When I began to read Why Don't You Love Me? I thought it read like any number of slightly surrealistic slightly vapid early-2000s stories that were basically the cartoonist's way of telling you they hated everyone and everything. And then it came into focus and it wasn't that thing at all. And then it came into focus again, uplifting and heartbreaking and (a word that I use sparingly) relevant. The kind of story, leading to a last panel that's all pain and joy and delivers the whole thing. What a masterwork. To understand all is to forgive all."

Yeah. That's just about it. What Gaiman said, you don't need me.

You do? OK - have a bit more then... The whole thing's presented as a daily comic strip, about the worst parents in the world, Mark and Claire. Claire is severely depressed, and treats her children with at best apathy, and at worst outright cruelty. Mark tries, but is hopeless with children, and can't even get his son's name right most of the time.

For just over 50% of the book's run time, that's about it. A series of sad exchanges, presented almost as gags, where the punchline seems to be "isn't life shit"? There's a sense of more, but it's not clear what. I read this section slowly, a couple of pages at a time - it was bleak but with a dark humour that leant itself to small bites.

Whilst Mark and Claire are horrific, they are also surprisingly sympathetic, and as a reader I found myself torn. They feel incredibly human whilst simultaneously acting at times so cruelly as to be unfathomable. They are both sympathetic, and monstrous.

vnxeJSx.jpg

Then a thing happens, and you start to view them differently.

To say more risks breaking the thing, so I'll say it again - read it, and stick with it. The grim tedium of the first half has a point to it. The whole, taken together, is one of the most perfectly realised bits of fiction I've come across in any format.

Read it before some idiot ruins it by making it into a TV show that misses the point entirely.

• I have now read this, and just wanted to say thank you to Tin.

Thank you Tin
  • Too expensive for me. I'll keep it bookmarked and hopefully will come down at some point.
  • I'll be getting that, sounds amazing. I've got a few to get through before then though - Black Hammer Vol 1 and another Tin inspired purchase, Coda.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I can't really ask my wife to get that for me as a birthday present cos she'll take the title literally
  • So this was gifted to me by an incredibly generous badger. Thank you very much, because it is absolutely brilliant.

You really can't talk much about it without, as Tin says, breaking it. But I can say that I highly recommend that if you read one comic this year, it should be this.

I've given it straight to my housemate to read.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I've added it to my wish list. You've persuaded me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Why Don't You Love Me? by Paul B Rainey

The whole, taken together, is one of the most perfectly realised bits of fiction I've come across in any format.

I have also now just finished this, but had a rather different conclusion. Or at least, I thought it was fine, but would get nowhere near the hyperbole above.
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Spoiler:

• acemuzzy wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Why Don't You Love Me? by Paul B Rainey

The whole, taken together, is one of the most perfectly realised bits of fiction I've come across in any format.

I have also now just finished this, but had a rather different conclusion. Or at least, I thought it was fine, but would get nowhere near the hyperbole above.
    Spoiler:

Sorry you didn't connect with it in the same way that I did. There are some elements that possibly hit me harder purely because of who I am. For what it's worth, here's my very spoilery view on what's happening...
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thank you for all that!
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!