BAMF! SNIKT! GLORF! The Comics Thread.
  • Been using my Kindle Unlimited sub to read a few comicsb that I wouldn't have the chance to otherwise. So far:

Year Zero v1: Zombie apocalypse series that claims (via the cover blurb) to do something different with the genre. It doesn't, but it was pretty decent nonetheless with the usual cast of archetypes (Yakuza hitman, American survivalist, Afghan translator, polar scientist etc) surviving the initial outbreak and collapse of society shown from a global perspective.

Flashpoint: Epic alternative reality tale with Barry Allens Flash trying to get back to his world that has been changed by his time traveling nemesis. This is the kind of comic that I love DC for.

Avengers Disassembled: The Avengers fall apart as a mysterious force causes mayhem across New York and the deaths of several key members. Not great. Clichéd writing, so-so art and just a bit shit.

House of M: Halfway through this and loving it. As a follow up to the above Avengers title it couldn't be more different in terms of writing quality and art.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Flashpoint: Epic alternative reality tale with Barry Allens Flash trying to get back to his world that has been changed by his time traveling nemesis. This is the kind of comic that I love DC for.

This sounds a bit great.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Just finished seven to eternity. Looks a treat. Big 70s fantasy vibes to the art style. Typical Rick remender story. Father trying to solve everything and failing. Black science in 4 volumes instead of 8.

Very enjoyable. Trying not to be mean about Rick. Have dug both things I've read of his, but damn, he has his shtick.

Also just finished volume 7 of Saga. Have 8 and 9 ready to go. Gonna hammer em tonight and tomorrow and then polish off 4 and 5 of ex machina.

Holiday reading time is go.

Saga is really freakin amazing. So memorable, that even if it's been a year between reading a volume nearly everything comea straight back.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Achievement unlocked; zombie thread revival.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Proof that they're out of ideas at DC? Jurassic League, a "what if the Justice League were dinosaurs?" book.

DC_DWJ_JURRASIC_LEAGUE.0.jpg
  • “I didn’t know if it was a good idea or not...I just knew I wanted to draw these creatures.”

Yeah I'm not sure either. It's terrible, ridiculous, but BatSaur actually looks pretty great.

The_Jurassic_League_01_02_03.jpg
  • Ha yes unhappily embarrassed Triceratops was the best part of that
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    "monkey” wrote:
    It's terrible, ridiculous, but BatSaur actually looks pretty great.

It’s a cool piece of art, but I don’t know if they can stretch it to an entire book series.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Ha yes unhappily embarrassed Triceratops was the best part of that

He knows where his acting career has lead.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I’m reading Rusty Brown (possibly because someone here mentioned it) and have been thoroughly enjoying it but the Jordan Lint section just absolutely floored me. There are a couple of other high points earlier in the book but JL is on another level.

I had to stop at that point because it was quite draining but hopefully finish it tomorrow. I can safely say now though, it’s an absolute must read.
  • Cos wrote:
    I’m reading Rusty Brown (possibly because someone here mentioned it) and have been thoroughly enjoying it but the Jordan Lint section just absolutely floored me. There are a couple of other high points earlier in the book but JL is on another level. I had to stop at that point because it was quite draining but hopefully finish it tomorrow. I can safely say now though, it’s an absolute must read.

That might have been me - I'm a bit of a Chris Ware obsessive and have certainly harped on about a few of his things before.  The Lint section was published as a stand alone comic prior to Rusty Brown (as one of his "Acme Novelty Library" things), and I think it may be the single best thing Ware has done. I'm surprised that there wasn't more noise made about it - perhaps because it's ultimately a section of a wider work, or maybe because Lint himself isn't a particularly likeable character.

Ware increasingly tries to limit himself with one conceit or another, but Lint's - that every page is from a different year in his life - is incredibly effective.  It's beautifully observed, brilliantly conceived and gently devastating.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    A great way of describing the Lint story. It's the first of Ware's work I've read but will certainly be looking for more. His use of the medium is some of the best I've seen.
  • Cos wrote:
    A great way of describing the Lint story. It's the first of Ware's work I've read but will certainly be looking for more. His use of the medium is some of the best I've seen.

If you're looking for more, I'd start with "Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On Earth" - similarly some of it appeared in the Acme Novelty Library, and some characters cross over with Rusty Brown, but it's a stand alone thing (it was his first long form thing).  It also has the advantage over some of his other work (like Stories) of not needing you to build an extension to your house just to store it.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cheers, Tin. Will check that out.
  • I got my 12yo son Arkham Asylum for Christmas and I was a little worried it would be a bit too esoteric for him - but he loved it! I'm going to read it now, I haven't for nearly 30 years.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    A bit delayed but went back and read the Joanne Cole chapter to finish Rusty Brown today. Wow. Powerful stuff again and I was desperately hoping for some kind of redemption by the end. It wasn’t quite that but certainly a relief and I’ll admit to shedding a tear.

I suspect I’ll be quite insufferable telling anyone who’ll listen to read this. Already ordered Jimmy Corrigan too.
  • I'll have to grab Rusty Brown. Jimmy C is an all-timer for me.
  • I had a pleasant hour reading through "The Many Deaths of Laila Starr" at the weekend.  It's a fairly short, self contained (5 issue) comic, in which Death/Kali finds herself suddenly unemployed following the birth of a human destined to find the secret of immortality. Brahma decides she's no longer needed for reasons known only to himself, and so, ironically, casts her down to Earth as a mortal woman (the titular Laila).

If that all sounds a bit Gaimanesque, well, yes, I guess it is.  Though this is a very different Death - her first instinct on being banished to Earth is to track down the baby destined to render her unemployed and kill it there and then.  As the title says, she's also incredibly bad at staying alive, with each issue showing another incarnation.

Like I say, it was an enjoyable read, though if I'm honest I'm not sure it has anything to say that hasn't been explored better elsewhere. (The real work to compare this to is probably Moon and Ba's Daytripper, which covers similar ground in a more powerful and elliptical fashion.) What does set it apart is the decision to base most of the action in Mumbai, and ground it in Hindu mythology, giving a new setting for an admittedly familiar tale.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Talking of Gaiman, I loved Lucifer but couldn't get into Sandman. Which series is Many Deaths closer to?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Talking of Gaiman, I loved Lucifer but couldn't get into Sandman. Which series is Many Deaths closer to?

Hmm, I guess Lucifer (in that it's the adventures of a once powerful deity walking the Earth), but in truth not really either.  The  closest is probably the Sandman spin off "Death: The High Cost of Living".  Both use the idea of Death hanging out on Earth as a way to explore themes around what it is to be alive - though Gaiman's Death is not only sweet, but gives the impression of having everything pretty much all worked out - whereas Laila has a bit of work to do on both counts.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Interesting.
  • Just finished reading Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands by Kate Beaton.

Beaton's probably best known for her Hark! A Vagrant! webcomic, which consists of lots of historical/literary gags. It's light, slightly eccentric and very funny.

Ducks is, at times, also light eccentric and funny. In other places though it's very serious indeed.

As the subtitle explains, it's an autobiographical piece, detailing her time in the Oil Sands of Alberta Canada where she worked for 2 years in an attempt to pay of her student debt. Some themes are very specific to the place - what's it like as a woman to work in a place where you're outnumbered by men 50:1?  How do you reconcile working for an industry that you're gradually and increasingly aware might be Really Very Bad Indeed?  Others are perhaps more broadly recognisible to everyone - loneliness, isolation, and the horror of being trapped in a job you hate because what else can you do?

Despite the weight of some of its themes, "Ducks" takes its time. Structurally it is almost a series of brief anecdotes, some funny, some mundane, some utterly crushing. It never feels remotely like hard work. As a whole though, it's incredibly effective. If you're looking for a last minute comics tome for your Christmas list it comes recommended.
  • Currently going through my comics backlog, and have got to a run of Spider-Man which genuinely might be the worst story I've ever read. 

Last Remains it's called, and was set up what seems like hundreds of years ago, and isn't remotely resolved at the end of it. It's long, boring, and seems to make no sense whatsoever.
  • I’ve heard Spider-Man really went downhill after Dan Slott left.
  • Can confirm. One of the few good things is Boomerang. If we didn't bother with this Kindred shit, it might be ok, but Spencer takes 80 fucking issues from introducing to resolving apparently, and it's absolutely not interesting in any way, and undoes some good stuff that Slott had done.

I can tell where this is heading, but fuck me, if I hadn't already bought them, I'd have cancelled it because it's so fucking bad.
  • Been re-reading some Batman stuff from the recent Metal series. It's absolutely bonkers, in the best way. Really leans into the fact that it's a ludicrous story featuring ridiculous characters doing impossible shit. Read Dark Nights: Metal and The Batman Who Laughs in preparation for part 2 of Dark Nights. I love Scott Snyder's Batman stories but you can see the hand of Grant Morrison all over the more esoteric apocalyptic parts of the story. However, it's the best of both worlds as they manage to stick the ending, which I can only imagine is down to Snyder. Great stuff.
  • I've just read through Coda - from Simon Spurrier and Matias Bergara.  I knew of both of them from Spurrier's run doing Hellblazer and The Dreaming at DC, and I'm a fan of both his writing and Vergara's art work.  Still.

I can't exaggerate how much I loved this book. It's sublime. 

The premise is fairly simple - imagine Mad Max crossed with Lord of the Rings and you're most of the way there. There has been a huge magical war, and with no habits to quietly resolve the mess, both sides have essentially wiped themselves out. The remaining creatures are left picking up the pieces, and trying to figure out how to muddle through - with the small remaining bits of magic left in the world, becoming a resource people will kill for.

There's a nice complex (if predictably) twisty turny tale as our hero tries to manipulate his way to freeing his beloved from malevolent forces - but also buried within it a much simpler, more satisfying story about, well, people.

It also looks amazing. From big, detailed, luscious spreads, to little bits like this that still convey a whole world...

CODA_001_PRESS_5.jpg

Absolutely recommended.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Dig the art. Very Sable.
  • Spider-Man kind of jumped the shark with the Ezekiel story, and that was in 2001.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!