BAMF! SNIKT! GLORF! The Comics Thread.
  • Marvel comics have acquired the rights to Alien and Predator, which means that they will soon appear in Marvel stories.

This could be interesting....
  • It won't, it'll be shit.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I used to love those crossovers in my early teens - Batman/Aliens, Dredd/Aliens and the like. I'm sure they were mostly shite and it was just the novelty.
  • Next door neighbour is a comics guy. And a lovely bloke. Hammering Ex Machina right now thanks to him. Good stuff. 

One volume to go for Black Science. Awesome fun.

Saga still cracking too. Gonna do Watchmen again thanks to the series.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • read monstress u guys grumble
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Marvel comics have acquired the rights to Alien and Predator, which means that they will soon appear in Marvel stories. This could be interesting....

Novelty be damned, I'll be all over an Avengers Vs Alien.

In other news, I just finished Killing Joke. It was rather good. A mild let down after spending most of my life being told it was the greatest thing since sliced handjobs.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Is anyone else reading the new Hellblazer run?

It's absolutely great - Constantine's finally Constantine again - Spurrier absolutely gets him in a way no-one has in a long while. (I'd go so far as to say, to date, it's the best take since Delano's original run.)  Not only is the reliable bastard with a conscience of old, but the social commentary is back with a vengeance too.  It's a comic bristling with anger at the version of Britain we find ourselves in now, as well as surprising empathy for all the broken people within it.  The current run has a slight wobble when it detours into the comedy apprentice installed in John's absence, but has firmly kicked back in, with #6 in particular being an absolute belter.

If you had any love for the character in the past, but let it slide as he became more and more just a DC guest character, it's worth picking up.

Speaking of Spurrier - his recently completed run on The Dreaming is also excellent.  Of the original 4 Sandman spin-offs that were announced a while back, Dreaming was the one that seemed most likely to stumble. A return to the world of The Sandman, only without Dream, seemed a bit pointless - and the previous Dreaming comic in the 90s seemed to spend most of its time struggling with the burden of "not being The Sandman".  Instead I'd say it was the only one of the four that seems essential in retrospect (Lucifer's beautifully drawn, but narratively not that interesting, Books of Magic feels a bit too much like it should sit in the "Young Adult" section and I really tried to like House of Whispers but...  I didn't.)

The future of The Dreaming seems a bit uncertain at the moment - G. Willow Wilson was supposed to be taking it over, but it's also officially cancelled, with her effort apparently being a limited series instead.  Or something.  It doesn't matter - indeed in some ways it works in its favour - Spurrier's run is wonderfully self contained, with everything tying up neatly and beautifully (Bilquis Eveley's art is amazing throughout, but the finale's exquisite) at the end.

So, yeah, read them both.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That art is great. Predator Vs Ironman has me very moist.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Just finished watching the Watchmen movie extended cut.

Gonna redo the book soon. 

On rewatch and with the extended version, I'd like to say it's pretty faithful, is my memory right? Took about 4 sittings to do it as it clocks in at 3.5 hours.
    Spoiler:
    I assume that, apart from the BLM angle, is what had the incel nazis knickers in a twist?
  • I think the series is a sequel to the comic rather than the film.
  • Plus, it'd be a hell of a lot harder to do a sequel series in a post-nuke America than a localised post-squid America.
  • Yep.
  • The Dark Horse Aliens and Predator comics still hold a special place in my heart (or nestled behind the ribcage at least). I read a lot of them as a teenager and I think they really captured the essence of the movies. However as I grew up I got a bit tired of the 'basically almost everyone dies and it all ends on a downer' narrative structure, that also made me dislike the Matrix comics. It's okay for a movie, but the endless atrocity exhibition of the comics wore me down.

I enjoyed the Dredd vs Aliens crossover, but I can't imagine Marvel's reimagining will please many fans - especially if it's closer to the new Predator movie.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Is anyone else reading the new Hellblazer run?

It's absolutely great - Constantine's finally Constantine again - Spurrier absolutely gets him in a way no-one has in a long while. (I'd go so far as to say, to date, it's the best take since Delano's original run.)  Not only is the reliable bastard with a conscience of old, but the social commentary is back with a vengeance too.  It's a comic bristling with anger at the version of Britain we find ourselves in now, as well as surprising empathy for all the broken people within it.  The current run has a slight wobble when it detours into the comedy apprentice installed in John's absence, but has firmly kicked back in, with #6 in particular being an absolute belter.

If you had any love for the character in the past, but let it slide as he became more and more just a DC guest character, it's worth picking up.

Very interested in this, as Constantine is one of my all time favourites. Nothing has ever come close to Delano's original run so I really want to have a look at this. Is it ongoing at the moment? Collected edition available?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The Dark Horse Aliens and Predator comics still hold a special place in my heart (or nestled behind the ribcage at least).

This comment means you win the thread.

Nay - you win the forum.
  • Kow wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Is anyone else reading the new Hellblazer run?

Very interested in this, as Constantine is one of my all time favourites. Nothing has ever come close to Delano's original run so I really want to have a look at this. Is it ongoing at the moment? Collected edition available?

It’s ongoing at the moment. I believe the first 5 plus the “Sandman Universe presents” one shot that launched it are being released as a collection in September.

• Started the first volume of Scott Snyder & Charles Soule's 'Undiscovered Country', which I've been waiting on for a long time.

It's as mental, imaginative and ambitious as I hoped it would be.
  • Sooo....

I finally got round to reading the House & Power of X graphic novel. First X-men comic I've read in over 25 years after bowing out after Age of Apocalypse.

Wow, just wow.

Yeah, there was a few characters I didn't recognise & obv shit has moved on in 25 years, but felt like I had never been away & the perfect spring board to dive back in on this new vision.

Automatically wanted more.

Looked at the Dawn of X series of novels but was put off by its collection of 1 issue each of the 6 new books launched(been there before Marvel, you ain't getting me again) so I decided to just focus on the X-men book collecting the 1st 6 eps.

Gotta say, only halfway through, but not feeling it atm & the art is well.... poor imo.

Bit crushed if I'm honest, will give it to the end & maybe the next release, but atm, not feeling the high I got off House/power.
  • Finally had time to catch up on some comics today, only to discover Hellblazer's been cancelled.

I mentioned before how good Spurrier's run with this is/was.  It was cancelled back in August, before the TPB had even been published, as it "wasn't making enough money."  Seemingly a victim of AT&T's takeover of DC as much as anything else.

Spurrier was, at least, given enough notice to finish the specific story he was telling, even though it's abundantly clear there were plenty more he wanted to tell.  I mentioned I thought it was of the quality of early Constantine, but in truth, I'm going to controversially suggest it surpassed it.  As a comic for this particular moment in time, it's pretty much perfect.  Constantine's as brilliantly drawn as he ever was, but if the world ever needed a complete bastard with a conscience, it does so right now.  The whole run gently pulls at what's going on with the world, but particularly England - and the poisoning of our cultural through a toxic blend of fear and pride.  I say "gently" - the need to finish quickly means that the ending is a little rushed (though still very well realised), with any notion of subtlety thrown out the window with the reveal of....
    Spoiler:
    That's two books in a row that Spurrier's written for DC, had rave reviews, and then had cancelled from under him.  I'm hoping he finds another outlet soon - for my money he's one of the best voices in comics right now.

In the meantime - you should read it.  Maybe if enough people do, the algorithm that decides these things will bring it back, with Spurrier in tow.  It's good, really really good, and despite the cancellation, the story does at least have an ending - if all too soon.
  • I got the TPB for my housemate, vol 1 anyway, the final part isn't due til March.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Seemingly a victim of AT&T's takeover of DC as much as anything else.

Why is the first thing someone does after buying a company always "fire a shit ton of people"?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Very disappointed to hear that Hellblazer has been cancelled. They hardly gave it a chance at all. Just throw him back into the DC superhero universe shit again.
  • I watched Amazon's star studded version of Invincible last week, then remembered I had the original 2003 TPB, from when it came out, sitting around (comics were thing and easy to take to Uni) was interesting jumping back that far and seeing how far Kirkman has come in the intervening 17 years.

Then I downloaded all 25 TPB volumes and read it over the course of a few days. 3000 pages. Yikes! It's really good, surprising now one, and it gets better and more mature as it goes on. I think I prefer Corey Walker's art when he's on design duty, but I really couldn't say a bad word about Ryan Ottley's pencilling, it's so good, especially in conversation panels, and panels of great, horrid violence, of which there is a lot.

It's fun picking up all the references to other superhero comics and mythologies, whether obviously knowing or subtle, and it's interesting to see the whole idea of the the modern superhero condensed into such a relatively short space of time versus the typical 50 year sprawl that other comics have had. It's a bit like All-Star Superman in that it deals with a lot of subjects rapidly, but it has more time to breathe than Morrison's experiment, and it has to create its own mythology to call back on, and it does it really well. Clones? Alternate dimensions? Intergalactic Wars? The Avengers? Civil War? Ultron? Costume changes? Child Superheros? Deaths and returns? Do-overs? Evil Geniuses? Benevolent Genius? Secret Government Agencies? Faked Deaths? Permanent Deaths? All that shit? It's in there.

The only uncomfortable parts are the bits where Kirkman is sill writing a bit early 2ks. Bad stuff is gay, everyone is always shagging, it's good when Eve puts on weight cos she gets bigger tits and a fat ass etc. Later on this stuff cools, a little, but it's about the same time that Ottley's art gets a bit more sexualised and it's always focussed on the ladies. It fits with the world of Invincible I guess, but it's never something I really grew to stomach or ignore, especially when it's highlighted in the sketch sections. But that's what happens when 90% of your crew is guys I guess. (the Animated show is more progressive in some respect especially by knocking all the gay-bashing on the head immediately, though I do wonder how some of these changes will play out over time)

A minor blemish on an interesting ride of a comic, that otherwise raises interesting questions, puts the critical lens on the ideas of superheroism, whilst also getting to have its bloody, violent, cake at the same time. Highly recommended, especially if you're a fan of superhero stuff but can't be dealing with the sprawling, impossible chronology of catching up with Spider-man or Superman, and knowing they will never end. Spoilers, this one does, and it's beautiful.

dny4ud-e429ebc4-d4ef-43da-af81-3adcd655ddbf.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzdlZTQ0OTY1LTI1MWEtNDExNi1iYjQ3LTgyNzVlNGZlMWEwYVwvZG55NHVkLWU0MjllYmM0LWQ0ZWYtNDNkYS1hZjgxLTNhZGNkNjU1ZGRiZi5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.lsd24FW6rQV4NhvA9j5tv1pwNY0gYlguDVqXIF72pPc

ot9jzvgf69w51.jpg

Space-Racer-Omni-Man-Invincible-Allen-the-Alien-Battle-Beast-Oliver-1.png

Love it.
  • The three compendiums were on sale on Comixology recently, so bought them all. It is a really good series. Some of Kirkman's dialogue has aged poorly, but overall it's a great read.
  • [font=Whitney, ]Comixology have a sale on What If? at the moment. All 47 issues of the '77 - '84 run for just under €36.[/font]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    "What If" is getting an animated series or something, right?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Holy shit I havent thought about Invincible in over a decade.

Blue Swirl wrote:
    "What If" is getting an animated series or something, right?

Sure is, real soon.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Sure is, real soon.

Ooh.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    So the Marvel alien/predator thing, which I'm guessing has been and gone, got some variant covers in other books to act as promotion. What I'm wondering is why they decided to give the Invisible Woman a square arse for this issue of Fantastic Four.

uCKqWPkcsAkCLgzYjRmUii-1136-80.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!