BAMF! SNIKT! GLORF! The Comics Thread.
  • Jupiters Legacy. Any good? Not a massive fan of Miller, but I love Quitelys stuff.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow wrote:
    Reading Ms Marvel, the Muslim superheroine. It's pretty good, loads of geeky gaming references etc.

Ms Marvel's great.  So far at least, I'd say she's this generation's Peter Parker.  Slightly nervous that her upcoming inclusion in The New New Avengers (or whatever it's called) will screw it up, but we'll see.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Jupiters Legacy. Any good? Not a massive fan of Millar, but I love Quitelys stuff.

That is my pile of shame, so i've not read it yet.  ;) 

I checked out some of Quitelys earlier stuff and found it a little nondescript, but that Jupiter's Legacy book is wonderfully drawn. It may be as simple as time constraints/deadlines on his DC stuff, or maybe he's found his niche, but the difference is more than noticeable.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    I'll be sure to let you know.

Mint.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Vulture have done a pretty neat article about the Birth, Life, Death, and Legacy of the "Ultimate Marvel" imprint. Worth a read even if you aren't in to Marvel comics, some neat stuff in there Jeff Loeb refusing to talk about the catastrophic Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum, and how they are essentially the progenitor for the current MCU. I wonder if that will collapse in the same way the UM imprint did?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Seth Rogan and the guy who made Superbad are doing a tv Preacher adaption? Eh?
  • The film's dont have to compete with the comics, so it has an advantage there. And if they avoid the ultra violence and sex them I think they stand a good chance, with only continuity posing possible issues.

But I guess that's where things like Guardians of the Galaxy come in. If you make things that don't necessarily rely on existing continuity, but compliant it then you can spin the wheel for longer.
  • Just finished books 10 and 11 of TWD - comprising the story arcs of 'All Out War' and the beginning of 'New Beginnings'(?).

Excellent stuff. Negan is just a fantastic bad guy and a great character. The new threat is superb too - thought they'd jumped the shark with it at first but the reveal was brilliant.

No other comic gets my heart thumping like this one.
  • Started reading Transmetropolitan yesterday. Quite good so far.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Seth Rogan and the guy who made Superbad are doing a tv Preacher adaption? Eh?

I just finished rereading the whole run of Preacher, which I first read on it's initial run 20 years ago. At the time I thought it was the best thing ever, but this time I thought it was extremely poorly written drivel, full of nonsense plot points and pointless tangents - dull attempts at shock for their own sake. Ennis seemed very blatant in his bid to be a great American comic writer.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I read the first volume of Crossed and couldn't find any merit in it whatsoever for the same reasons.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    First look at the new Batmobile from Batman V Superman.

Batmobile3_wide-932x525.jpg

Not to sure about the guns, but I like it. Going further down the futuristic military route started in the Dark Knight trilogy.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Fucking appalling turning circle though. I foresee shit grappling hook action on the horizon.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Fucking appalling turning circle though.

That's OK, Gotham City is on a nice grid system. It'll only have to do 90 degree turns.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Damn, Swamp Thing #40 is the last one.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    First look at the new Batmobile from Batman V Superman. Batmobile3_wide-932x525.jpg Not to sure about the guns, but I like it. Going further down the futuristic military route started in the Dark Knight trilogy.

Looks like its been squashed at the front.
  • Read Kingdom Come for the first time in ages last night. It's not the greatest story, especially the setup and the end (though I'm glad for Ross including the silly epilogue as it's quite touching) but fucking hell. Alex Ross's art is just peerless. I can't think of a better depiction of Superman. He just looks incredible in every panel.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    So, DC Rebirth is a thing. The New 52 run of Detective Comics is over, and we're back to the original numbering, meaning sequential issues of the same series goes number 52, then number 934. Righto.
    Spoiler:
  • Reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen again after finally getting around to buying the omnibus edition. It's still fantastic, the writing and particularly the art are amazing.

It's marvellously indiscreet in its treatment of anyone non-English and White - fully committing to the British Empire theme. Guilty lols at Hyde screaming that the Martians are "outer space wogs".

Also read vols 4&5 of The Manhattan Projects - absolutely bonkers and highly entertaining.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Guilty lols at Hyde screaming that the Martians are "outer space wogs".

Secondary guilty lols. :)
  • So I appear to be the only person that thinks the Wonder Woman Rebirth stuff is a bag of wank, and that Greg Rucka needs to fuck off and take his boring, painfully slow storytelling with him.

The Azzarello run was amazing, Finch not as good but still a ton of fun. This is shite. I feel like it could run for a thousand issues and still nothing would have happened.

Anyone else read it?
  • I've been thinking of starting one of the WW runs myself, so I'll avoid that one. I bought vol 1 of the Azzarello run for my niece who wanted to get into comics but didn't know where to start. She said it was amazing.
  • A friend suggested I should read The Vision.  I was slightly doubtful, as he's hardly a character I've been interested in before.  

My friend was right.  It has the most glorious sense of mounting dread.  It's basically the story of how Vision, and his newly crafted robot wife and kids, attempt to set up life as a normal family, white picket fence and all.  Meanwhile the whole thing is narrated by an (initially) unseen figure who assures us, in no uncertain terms, that this isn't going to end well at all.

p6d0et88fzaviqjkfveo.png

I had expected the usual "what is it to be human?" stuff, and assuredly that's in there.  But it's explored in a considerably more interesting, and darker, fashion than usual for this kind of thing.

It's really surprisingly creepy and satisfying, particularly given my low expectations going in.
  • I just read the first trade of the Vision "Little Worse Than a Man"

It had its up and downs but the lasy chapter P V PZ is fucking incredible, some of the best mainstream comic writing in ages. King is apparent ex CIA too, which is interesting.
  • Arise!

Quick question as I'm not generally well read in comics/GNs but I have read a couple and was keen on some recommendations.

I have read V for Vendetta (after the film), Watchmen (before), and the Nikopol Trilogy. I have From Hell which just arrived in the post. I was wondering if there is anything similar in a single volume-slash-compilation of any classic X-Men series given the new Logan film has me interested in the series for the first time in about 20 years.

Any essential random suggestions are most welcome.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The Morrison run on New X-Men is supposed to be great. Haven't read it though.

Don't get Age of Apocalypse though - it's dreadful.
  • I can't find the tweet that had other examples in, but man the Killing Joke recolour is fucking dire.

KJC05.jpg

Maybe they misread it as a decolour.
  • Vela, read The Filth.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh yeah Vel if you just want recommendations then...

The Filth
    Red Son
    All-Star Superman
    Morrison's Animal Man
    New 52 Animal Man (by Jeff Lemire (Allegedly, Swirl said it was good and it looked it))
    Tom King's recent run on The Vision - new and amazing, review in the Book thread. If you don't trust me, Tin says it's great and he's always right.
    The Ballad of Halo Jones
    Habibi by Craig Thompson
    Seconds by Brain Lee O'Malley
    Nameless also by Grant Morrison
    Descender - still running
    Squirrel Girl - still running
    The Wicked + Divine - still running
    Saga - still running

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!