BAMF! SNIKT! GLORF! The Comics Thread.
  • I dunno, DKR's misanthropy was sort of directed at the entire spectrum (thinking of the Bats Pro vs. Anti panels); since, he's made his choice I sense.
  • I've always read him as a hard cocked libertarian. That outlook can sometimes come down right by emphasizing the guffaws of both sides. His genuine love for what Batman represents has never really been in doubt though. I can't say I was surprised that he thought the occupy people were dirty parasites though. Or the Holy Terror thing. I am kind of surprised that Sin City and all of his work on Batman post 80s didn't suggest this side of him. Still extremely talented.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • I guess a lot of folks wrote Sin City up as self-conscious genreplay, which wasn't entirely unlikely given the era. I mean you can be fond of those (trad) narratives without actually being a creep.
  • I think it is definitely self-conscious genreplay, and he is poking fun at the conventions and hyperextending them and all that. And it is satirical in a way, but not in the way that a lot of liberal folks took it, I don't think. James Ellroy does much the same thing. He has probably more contempt in store for his liberal targets but a lot of people don't want to read it that way. I mean, I don't think Holy Terror could rightly be said to be straight faced either. It's as much an exaggerated go as Sin City. If Miller hadn't spoken about it, I imagine many would be reading it as a satire about interventionism etc.
  • I will say that I'll take a dozen Frank Miller the persons over Alan Moore the persons, on the sheer evidence of Moore's bullshit self loathing and dismissal of most every comic book that isn't his own. If the dude was capable of being appreciated as a serious writer anywhere outside of this medium, I would appreciate some evidence pointing towards it.
  • Aye, and hence again the perils of Authorial Intent.
  • Anyone else a fan of Chew? I've been giving the first few arcs a run and it's fucking brilliant. Great plot, funny and dark, dark gags, great writing and incredible artwork- probably some of my favourite of all time, actually. 

Good Image books are so, so good. It's a shame that they produce a fair whack of guff on the side.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Aye, and hence again the perils of Authorial Intent.
    I imagine that the Sin City commentary was an eye opener for many people. Nothing like the author talking at length about Jessica Alba's fine ass to dispel any myths about the need for deeper meaning.
  • It's a shame when creators turn out to be mega cunts. I remember loving Ender's Game in my yoof but then I found out, around the time Shadow Complex came out, that Orson Scott Card is a raging homophobe, a racist and a fuckbastard of the highest grade. Leaves a bit of a sour taste.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    As for anything else, I don't know what I'm looking for really. I quite like the idea of Deadpool, but have no idea where to start, or even if I should start at the beginning. Other than that, I hear people saying about some comics, Civil war, and the Superhero Zombies ones spring to mind. I just don't want to throw my money in somewhere and come out with something that really isn't any good. It's dificult jumping into something you're not very familiar with.

Deadpool is great in that you can pretty much start anywhere. The current arc is pretty fun, with Deadpool attempting to get killed, with some unwilling help from Hydra Bob. That started with issue 50.

Deadpool Team Up was hit and miss, but as I recall, Deadpool Max and Deadfpool Corps were pretty good, and I think there were only 12 issues of each.

if you want something a bit weird, and out of continuity, Wade Wilsons War is quite good.

What exactly is it that you like about Deadpool though?
  • What exactly is it that you like about Deadpool though?

I like things that are a bit off the wall, silly and break the fourth wall. As far as I know Deadpool meets those requirements.
    I like the Transformers comics too. Might have to see if I can grab a few of those. Can't remember 100%, but I think pat rice was the artists whose work I liked.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Dan_Dare wrote:
    It's a shame when creators turn out to be mega cunts. I remember loving Ender's Game in my yoof but then I found out, around the time Shadow Complex came out, that Orson Scott Card is a raging homophobe, a racist and a fuckbastard of the highest grade. Leaves a bit of a sour taste.

I think it more crucial than ever that entertainment directors never talk about their wares ever. Release dates are probably okay but that is the limit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Moore is interesting in interviews due to esoteric waffle. Miller isn't.
  • I find Moore a bit of a chore, truth be told. I admire his stance on Hollywood, but he seems a bit overly churlish about just about everything else.
  • Lets face it, becoming a wizard and greatest living English man beats turning into a curmudgeonly old right winger any day of the week. Bit more original as well, Ditko and Byrne already did Miller's shtick.
  • Morrison shall outlive all via tantric mitosis or something
  • Morrison wins because he drew his idea girl in a comic, thoroughly convinced that this would make her appear via some crazy magic, and lo and behold she did.
  • He might actually be able to pull off the right wing thing, that would be hilarious in Glasgow.
  • Also have this weird suspicion that Morrison may be the Best Looking Man in Graphic Literature.
  • I'm sorry, "wyrd".
  • Dan_Dare wrote:
    I find Moore a bit of a chore, truth be told. I admire his stance on Hollywood, but he seems a bit overly churlish about just about everything else.
    Yep. He can be amusing, but listening to him go on and on about how his work is basically the only half decent use of comic books is such incredibly egotistic arse, not to mention severe artistic cowardice, given he has spent his entire career working in them. Miller at least is completely, passionately devoted to comic books.
  • Let's all remember or not how fuckawful Lost Girls was.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Let's all remember or not how fuckawful Lost Girls was.
    Yes!
  • And even his masterthing From Hell isn't divorced from schlock.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    I like things that are a bit off the wall, silly and break the fourth wall. As far as I know Deadpool meets those requirements. I like the Transformers comics too. Might have to see if I can grab a few of those. Can't remember 100%, but I think pat rice was the artists whose work I liked.

I'd say that Merc With a Mouth would be a good place to start then. This I believe has them all in:

51ykakUYg1L._SS500_.jpg

It leads nicely into Deadpool Corps as well if you enjoy it.
  • Cheers Dante.
  • I posted a link with a bunch of recommendations on, A POX ON SAS
  • Deadpool is also good in Uncanny X-Force, but for different reasons. Probably not what you're after exactly but it's a great book so read it anyway. :-P
  • Tempy wrote:
    I posted a link with a bunch of recommendations on, A POX ON SAS

Oop, sorry Tempy. 
    I might have a look at some of the mangas on that list. Tekkonkinkreet has long been on my radar, just never got around to it.
    Thanks, I see what you mean about their prices though.

Manga Rock is my source for that shizzle.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!