101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • As it is, it tends to be the people who need help don't get it because they are too honest and try to give an impression they are better off than they are, and the dickheads game it for all they are worth

This.  It happens way too much.  I genuinely have to sit there telling people NOT to write about the best day they've ever had when filling in the form.  Loads of people out there are terrified to claim anything because the papers have told them that it makes them scroungers, and they write about the best they've ever been because they don't want to be accused of cheating the system. (A system that's only too happy to abuse them back.) 

The issue with benefits is really simple.  There will always be people who cheat the system, because there will always be conditions that are impossible to prove.  The harder you try to weed out the cheats, the more you stop support going to people who genuinely need it.  (Many of whom can't get to the assessments in the first place, or can't cope with sitting in a waiting room full of strangers.  Though I've had at least one patient told that he wasn't eligible precisely because he did manage to attend his assessment, in what must be the finest example of a real life Catch 22 I've ever encountered.)

There are 3 potential solutions.  You either accept that some people will cheat the system as an inevitable consequence of caring for and supporting those that can't work.  Or you stop supporting such people at all, and confess to being a culture that doesn't care about the welfare of other human beings.  Or, finally, you offer financial support to everyone irrespective of physical health and eradicate the notion of "cheating" entirely.

The problem with the UK (or England at least) is that we claim to be doing the first option, whilst in reality practising the second by stealth.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blairite red Tory stooge.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I should like the third way, and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. However it makes me irrationally jealous. Whilst I'd love it to exist, I do think that working should always benefit you, and we do live in a weird system that for some people (and I was one of them) that working becomes a non option because you end up worse off financially
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You were landed gentry once?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The third way should mean that working always will make you better off. A UBI (which is pretty much what's being suggested) means that working won't affect your benefits, so you will always get wages on top of any other support.
  • Working would always benefit you under UBI, and arguably, working doesn't benefit most people beyond financially now. The amount of volunteers would grow massively if people weren't forced into shitty jobs, and could choose how they wanted to work.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You were landed gentry once?

I wish, though I can imagine it might sound that way from some of my posts

Benefits are an industry of their own, and that's a problem. Too many buy you let landlords, and housing associations have too much to lose of the system changes too much. That's not a reason not to change it, and in a sense the recent switch to universal benefit thing is a step towards UBI, which should be great because it means nobody ends up in the trap I was in. Where getting off the streets meant a hostel, getting out of a hostel meant a housing association flat. As soon as that happened I asked how much the rent was, and it was clear that I couldn't work and live there, so was back at step one, ridiculous system sometimes
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    You were landed gentry once?
    I wish, though I can imagine it might sound that way from some of my posts Benefits are an industry of their own, and that's a problem.

Would you be irrationally* jealous about those people born into inherited wealth, and would also receive UBI, and would likely not have to ever work either? *More likely you'd be rationally jealous I guess.

Slightly different: I used to be jealous of people at my school/college that were allowed that £30 a week or fortnight stipend from the government to cover "study costs". I didn't get it because of what my parent's earned, which was enough for me to not qualify, but not enough to give me any pocket money at all. 

It's the same with University grants and so on, certain parts of the system fail people - those whose parents are wealthy enough to mean they don't qualify for the maximum loan, but can't spare their kids the money, or the poorest who qualify for the maximum loan, which may not cover them given the hike in pricing over recent years slowly falling out of line with what you get from the government. The answer is of course simple: get a job, but that can be tough, especially for poorer students who might have to live at home and thus find getting a job difficult.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd like a law that caps the rent on second-plus homes at whatever the typical mortgage would be (or indeed is) for that home. And UBI, of course.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The Range-Roving arse who followed me with his lights on full just now.
  • This modern obsession with Nutella.
    Nutella is alright but I don't get why people want to eat it by the tub full.
  • Don't think I've ever tried it?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Don't think I've ever tried it?

Oh don't you?
  • This modern obsession with Nutella.
    Nutella is alright but I don't get why people want to eat it by the tub full.

It would be better without the nut
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You're thinking of the White House.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This modern obsession with Nutella. Nutella is alright but I don't get why people want to eat it by the tub full.

crepe stands in city centre European markets are probably to blame.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Not only has my deadass flatmate bought himself a new chair but still not a soundproofing kit yet, I think he's also drunk my bloody prosecco that was a Christmas gift I was saving for post dissertation celebrations.
  • I don't even like prosecco 
  • Not the point.
    Start running the bath.
  • Fill the bath with prosecco.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Not only has my deadass flatmate bought himself a new chair but still not a soundproofing kit yet, I think he's also drunk my bloody prosecco that was a Christmas gift I was saving for post dissertation celebrations.

This the one that yells on a twitch stream all night? And that's his actual job?
  • There is some nuance: it was placed next to a communal bottle of wine that we acquired of the back of a party we left early once. I am more concerned at the moment that I had an essay hand in date wrong and now have 24 hours less to do it so am distracting myself by being annoyed.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Fill the bath with prosecco.

Hahaha, reminded me of Noel Gallagher on Sleaford Mods
    “They’re like fucking Brown Bottle in Viz,” he said. “There’s no joy in that, is there? It’s just two guys, one clearly mentally ill, who’s just shouting like Brown Bottle about fucking cider and fucking shit chicken. Yeah, that would’ve been fun wouldn’t it, at Knebworth. ‘Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and while we’re all here’, while all the people at the back are on acid and E, ’round of applause for the miners, wahey’. Fuck off.”

He continued: “Oasis were raging, but we were raging joy and the sun was out in the songs, if you can’t see the rage and the yearning to better yourself in rock ‘n’ roll style you’re dead to me. And protest songs: fucking bollocks. ‘Cigarettes & Alcohol’ is a protest song, and the message in that is ‘Fuck your recession and fuck you and your government, we’re gonna have a great time.'”

Moving onto Sleaford Mods’ comments that he had “blood on his hands” for making things too retro, Gallagher said: “Yeah. Well tell them from me that I’ve got blood on my hands and fucking champagne in the bath.”
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also flatmate sounds an utter prick, merk him
  • Broadband installation services from Virgin Media get on my tits.

We had a massive pain in the arse getting cabling sorted out to locate things where we wanted to in the living room, a few months back. Had a Virgin tech out to do some of it, got him to leave us lots of official Virgin Media cable behind so that we could have it run under the floorboards, the whole shebang. Point was that we were having a fireplace removed, plumbing done, radiators fitted, and so on – all in advance of getting our antique floorboards restored … so that we’d never need to lift them again.

Guess what?

The fucker left us cheap cable, not the real thing.

Our broadband started cutting out intermittently. Everyone in the neighbourhood had the same problem. Then, when we got notification last week that Virgin had fixed the local issues … our broadband switched off completely.

Turns out that the cheap cable under our floor was responsible for ‘noise’ on the line. As local networks are all linked, the noise on our line was disrupting service for the whole street. When Virgin said they fixed the local issue, what they mean is that the cut our house off so that everyone else’s broadband would work properly.

Dammit.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    That sounds odd . Why would he have that cable on him?

Any chance of using the existing cable as a fish to get proper cable in? Or is it too tight?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!