101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • Demand they replace the cable and cover all costs to get the place back normal.
    Threaten solicitors straight away, don't give them any benefit of the doubt.
  • Say you think the cheap cable could be a fire hazard and you are afraid to sleep in your own home.

Just put your Daily Mail hat on and be outraged, only way you get anywhere with anyone these days.
  • Just put your Daily Mail hat on and be outraged, only way you get anywhere with anyone these days.

Sadly true. I’m on the case. In the meantime, gonna have to run everything over Wi-Fi instead of hardwiring the important bits.

But first I’m off to the pub. So setting the network up later on should be ‘fun’.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    That sounds odd . Why would he have that cable on him? Any chance of using the existing cable as a fish to get proper cable in? Or is it too tight?

Space was tight and the cable’s been nailed down under the floorboards, because our joiner did a thorough job.

Best guess me and today’s (actually really good and helpful) Virgin engineer can come up with is that the original guy didn’t have enough of the proper cable on hand, so he bodged with something from a local shop.

Responsibility is going to be tricky to prove, as all he did was leave the cable behind for our electrician to use. Virgin could argue they didn’t install it. I’m going to have to put on my extra angry consumer hat when I speak to them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Get a receipt for your beer, send it to Virgin, tell them that you had to go and use the pub's wifi as yours didn't work.
  • I actually did have to on Friday afternoon, for some critical work stuff. Already claimed the beer (and lunch) as expenses.
  • Fill your bath with prosecco.
  • It would get right on my tits and I actually would mind a little bit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fill your tits with prosecco.
  • I forgot my phone today. Uggh.
    Also aggressive/self centered drivers in Dublin are becoming more and more common. Its hard to explain but they are a different breed to the usual driver assholes.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • He didn't put a nail through the cable did he?

Its ridiculous the lengths you have to go to to wake up customer service agents. I had 'mare last week with 3 because I'd managed to pick an obsolete plan from their website that didn't include the unlimited data they advertise for all their plans. My bill hit 200euro in 3 days and their initial response was tough,you picked the plan and used the data even though the guy knew nothing about the plan because it "shouldn't have been on the website".
    Things quickly changed when I informed him I wouldn't be paying it and will cancel the plan under the cooling off period.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    These days I like to think of myself as frontline IT support, which I sort of am.
  • Anyone who is a dick to customer services is a prime dick, should probably be picked for selective breeding to create a race of absolute dicks, then we can give them their own island and let them belligerently belittle each other to death.

Some of the shit I got over the phone in my years was disgusting. One guy came at me about my level of education and job when I was at e.on, calling me an idiot when he was too fucking stupid to understand the idea of a meter rolling over to zero.

I often look back at my time doing stuff on the phones and wonder how I ever managed it.
  • OK but its generally hard to find a good one first time.

3 again a couple of months ago,in shop:
    I'll have that phone and plan for 12 months please.
    Can't do 12 months.
    But I checked my upgrade last night and it said that phone free on 12 month contract.
    Yeah,there's a problem with the site and although it shows up,it won't completed the order. I can do 24months with phone for 29euro.
    Why would I get a contract twice as long and pay for the phone?
    That's just what's coming up.
    How about 18 months?
    Yeah,phone is free with that but you'll probably only get about a year out of it because its a budget phone.
    So why did you try to get me to take a 24 month contract???
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Blame their employer providing positive and punitive incentives such as commission and performance reviews, and building a bad website.

I did my best to not up sell stupid leads and insurance with electronics when I worked at Comet, for every customer that I let go without shilling to them I was dragged in front of a computer to be told how poorly I was doing.

I get it's frustrating but it's like... you got the thing. They'll not get their thing. Plenty of sales folk are slimy, but plenty of people working in sales and customer service are just doing it because it's all there is.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep. They're probably reading this information off a screen in front of them too, and the screen is probably providing the information that will make their employers most money.

Ain't nobody doing extra homework to be good at their job for minimum wage, ain't many who'll hang around long enough to pick up the knowledge to become good at it either.
  • I got reduced to a total wreck at one call centre for not making up-sell targets, I had to go to occupational health with stress because of how nasty the manager got.
  • I am not railing against you Hodge either btw, I know it's a shit thing to go through on both sides of the contract, and there are definitely slick people that are very good at coercing you into paying more (who definitely do their homework) but as me and Dante both know very well, it's not often the person's fault.
  • It’s definitely the industry rather than the individuals … but it results in a poor experience for the customer eight or nine times out of ten.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Absolutely.

I quite liked Branson's belief that he shouldn't be looking after his customers, he should be looking after his staff so that they'll look after his customers.

Can't say I saw much of that when working in Virgin Megastore, but it's a nice thought.
  • Phoning call centres is incredibly anger-inducing, but there's no one to actually be angry at, which makes it worse. It's basically a form of mind-numbing bureaucracy where the system itself is the problem rather than anyone in it, and we often have no freedom to choose not to use them whenever things aren't working properly.
  • I use the online chats these days, get connected quickly usually and you can do it whilst doing something else.
  • I tried 3 online chat once.....
    Hang on there's a pattern emerging here!
  • I worked in a lot of call centres back in the day. Hated it, hated it, hated it. My longest stint was at BT where the big push at the time was broadband and I ended up getting sacked for not pushing hard enough. If you weren't trying to twist the arm of old folks into taking super fast broadband you weren't doing your job. Took some amount of abuse. One of my favs was:

Me: Hello, thank you for phoning BT, my name is Scout, how can I help you today?
    Posh Lady: Oh, you're Scotch...
    Me: I'm afraid so, how can I help?
    Posh Lady: Well you'll have to put me through to an English person, I can't understand a word you're saying.
    Me: I'm afraid I don't have that facility. Are you really struggling to understand me?
    Posh Lady: Yes, I can't understand a word you're saying.
    Me: Um, well in that case all I can suggest is that you phone back and try again. However, we have three main call centres in the UK in Glasgow, Newcastle and London so I'm afraid it's pot luck.
    Posh Lady: Fine, I'll try that.
    Me: Ok, thank you for calling BT.
    Posh Lady hangs up...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What a stupid 'oul bitch.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What did he say? :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!