101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • Deliveries stating they are "delivered" despite the fact they are categorically not at the place you requested they be delivered too, even though that place gets all its other mail

Being told you need to go and hand out- ugh - balloons and chocolate to promote the company during a Sikh festival where they walk from temple to temple. On sunday I am going to be a street salesmen, but with the added value of disrespecting a religious festival!
  • At xmas I got a note saying sorry we missed you and the parcel was being kept at the local post office, except the note had been put in a stamped addressed envelope and was posted to me.
  • Perhaps they just miss you.

I assume when they're filling in delivery status forms there's no option for 'left on doorstep', which explains why they have to write 'handed to resident' instead...
  • This does matter but it's a rant so going in here.

Had a plumber round to fix some drains and drop some radiators so some decorating can be done on Monday. Monday night the water pressure is at zero, release the valve to let some flow and rank black water starts coming out of one of the removed radiator pipes that hadn't been capped.

This was about 10pm, so I call the plumber, no answer. I text, no answer. I wait then text back, no answer. I call again and leave messages, no answer. He'd already been paid so I'm starting to think he's just fucking it off. I whatsapp him to see if he reads the messages, nothing. I'm pretty angry and I'm getting it in the neck from the missus because we have no hot water or heating.

Next morning he texts back, 'sorry I left my phone in my bag, I'll be round this evening'. What time, I ask, '7.30'.

I rush home from work, 7.30 rolls around, nothing. I text him at 8 - any eta? 'Just caught up with something, will call when I'm on my way'. 9pm rolls by - any update, I ask - no response. 10pm, same - no response. 11pm and I'm getting pissed off. I call him for a solid 20 minutes attacking both landline and whatsapp calls. Nothing. I text him again, nothing. I call him again, it rings briefly then straight to answerphone. I call again and straight to answerphone.

This morning I look up his parent company and find their number on Yell. Ah, it's a refrigeration company, and the two owners have the same surname as him, a man and a woman. Probably parents. I call the number and ask if xyz is there. I'm asked who I am, I say I'm a customer who he's not replying to, left unfinished work and is ignoring. The guy on the phone says they aren't trading at the moment so it's nothing to do with them, I say well he's using your company name and there are other bad reviews of his service saying he's ignored people before. The guy says he'll call him and sort it, I put some pressure on him for a timeframe but he starts to get frustrated and reiterates he will sort it.

I then get a call from our elusive plumber 10 mins later, saying sorry he got caught up in something personal last night but will be round tonight for sure. I said this is the same thing he said yesterday. He assures me he will be round. I ask if he spoke to the other guy, he says 'yeah that was my dad, I've just had a massive argument with him' and asks why I called that number as it's nothing to do with them. I informed him that if he communicated better I wouldn't need to track down his parents company that he's using the trading name of. He then tells me trying to call him that many times late at night is ridiculous. I tells him that if he'd simply informed me that he couldn't make it then it wouldn't have happened.

He's now assured me that he'll be round this evening to sort it, but I don't have confidence. I think his dad definitely gave him a bollocking for this, and perhaps that is going to jolt him into sorting it, but then again maybe I'm just sat waiting from 7.30 to midnight again like a fucking idiot.

Fucking guy looks like a right dick head as well. I have the address of his parent's office and it's only 20 mins bus away, so I can go round there if needed although they'll probably just tell me to fuck off. Just frustrating, at this point I just want to know if he's never coming round so I can call someone else to sort it out.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's kind of par for the course with electricians, plumbers, etc, unfortunately. In Ireland they can take weeks to show up (when they feel like it), after telling you they're actually in the car on the way.
  • Sucks, doesn’t it? Had the exact same behaviour last year from plumbers, joiners, electricians, gas fitters, etc.

When you find a reliable one, keep hold of their phone number. Guard it with your life.

I’ve got a sparky coming round tonight. New guy, totally unknown quantity. Let’s see whether he shows up …
  • Yeah that Paul guy, what a prick.
  • Good work hammering both lines and the parent company.  I had some work done many years ago by MFI contracted fitters.  Bodge doesn't describe it.  The only way I managed to get the main guy back in was by managing to get an old number of his from someone doing the electrics, which it turned out was a mobile he'd given to his daughter.  She was the only person who ever picked up though, so I kept ringing that and asking for him until he rang me to tell me to stop ringing his daughter.  It got sorted in the end, but I'd probably still be chasing if I hadn't found a way to piss him off.
  • Like I said to the guy, I understand things sometimes run over but the communication needs to be open. Just say you can't make it if you can't make it, and when I'm still calling him at 11pm send a fucking text to apologise and say you'll get back to me or something. Takes the piss.

We've plasterers in at the moment, Colombians, and they're fucking amazing. Here at 8am every day except Domingo, work flat out, work looks excellent, quality finish. Walls look brand new.

Had an electrician last week, Lithuanian I think, full rewire, also here 8am every day, working flat out, very accommodating etc.

This plumber's some Essex boy. Think I'm going to be favouring non English tradesmen tbh, they seem more keen to impress.
  • Lol @Moot harassing the guy's daughter, next level mate.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, nah don't worry about the guilt

She should be grateful it wasn't DS trying to get hold of him
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Like I said to the guy, I understand things sometimes run over but the communication needs to be open. Just say you can't make it if you can't make it, and when I'm still calling him at 11pm send a fucking text to apologise and say you'll get back to me or something. Takes the piss.

We've plasterers in at the moment, Colombians, and they're fucking amazing. Here at 8am every day except Domingo, work flat out, work looks excellent, quality finish. Walls look brand new.

Had an electrician last week, Lithuanian I think, full rewire, also here 8am every day, working flat out, very accommodating etc.

This plumber's some Essex boy. Think I'm going to be favouring non English tradesmen tbh, they seem more keen to impress.

See, you're part of the problem. We need English jobs for English craftsmen. Just because they are more expensive and unreliable is no excuse. I'm glad we'll see the back of all these professional, motivated and polite Eastern European leeches in a couple of years.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Here at 8am every day except Domingo

C'mon guys I set this one up especially...
  • See, you're part of the problem. We need English jobs for English craftsmen. Just because they are more expensive and unreliable is no excuse. I'm glad we'll see the back of all these professional, motivated and polite Eastern European leeches in a couple of years.

I don't deserve a blue passport :(
  • nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Would only turn up for three tenners?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

A placid chalice?
  • g.man wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    No he was too placido.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I used trustatrader.com when I needed a gas man a couple of months back.
    Couldn't fault the guy TBH, he serviced the boiler and fitted a new thermostat.
    After he left I couldn't get hot water, turns out a valve had worn out and was jammed one way so when I ran the hot tap radiators came on.
    He fixed it free if charge the next day.

You might pay a bit more using trustatrader but the system works.
  • Got all these through ratedpeople which I thought is basically the same but perhaps not. This particular plumber had 4.5/5 with just a few 1* reviews citing not calling back or such. I guess for most people things do go fine. Will try trustedtrader next perhaps.
  • Yeah, could still be luck of the draw I guess.
  • The three amigos I have round atm are brilliant, got mariachi style music playing throughout the house. Feel like a cerveza tbh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    mariachi style music.

Are they actually listening to Mexican music or should I send Mrs Yoss around to give you an earful about conflating Colombia with Mexico?
  • Yeah Colombian mariachis aye
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Racist.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Thought she was French?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • French Colombian
  • French Quornlombian
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    French Colombian

Yep. Raised in France, but her da is Colombian,

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!