101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • Other annoying anti-feature. I used to be able to pause, play, rewind or change the volume of podcasts on my phone without unlocking it. But that seems to have been patched away recently for some unknown reason

If you go into your settings, you should be able to decide what is accessible when the phone is locked.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So for mother's day my brother and I decided to something nice and get mom something useful.

The TV she currently has is about 15 years old, one of the first lcd tv's at the time I think. It's 19" with an aspect ratio of 4:3. The colours on that thing were already horrible when I moved out.
    Her eyesight isn't getting better, she always mentioned how much better things look on my brother's TV, has mentioned a couple of times she should probably upgrade.

So we decide to get her a tv. 32" Samsung. Biggest we can go as we know it should fit on the wall between the windows and it's not allowed to touch the curtains.

Now it's too big and one of her favourite stations is programed on a different number by default. Sigh. My brother said she was actually thinking of moving it to her bedroom.

It's not a big deal in the end and if we have to we can probably return, but I just wish she could let go of the old one. It has always been a horrible thing.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Man, pitching is the worst. You find a neat game, an interesting studio, a content creator that does things differently, a neat angle on something old, a cutting edge idea on something new, pitch them everywhere and get knocked back, and then you wake up to something like "Risk of Rain 2 does scale well" on Eurogamer.
    And on top of that, E3 being an obstacle to getting anything done. Nobody's around to respond to anything.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Nina As far as I know you can edit channel lists.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tim Horton's again. Apart from the shit coffee, shit service etc, the awful music is worth pointing out. They seem to have a playlist composed entirely of second rate Bon Iver wannabes. Endless maudlin plunking. Just what you want with your shit coffee.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Horton's is fodder for the likes of my daughters. Or is it the other way 'round? Though even they don't frequent it a lot - it's all about the sweet stuff for them, not the coffee.
  • Nina wrote:
    So for mother's day my brother and I decided to something nice and get mom something useful. The TV she currently has is about 15 years old, one of the first lcd tv's at the time I think. It's 19" with an aspect ratio of 4:3. The colours on that thing were already horrible when I moved out. Her eyesight isn't getting better, she always mentioned how much better things look on my brother's TV, has mentioned a couple of times she should probably upgrade. So we decide to get her a tv. 32" Samsung. Biggest we can go as we know it should fit on the wall between the windows and it's not allowed to touch the curtains. Now it's too big and one of her favourite stations is programed on a different number by default. Sigh. My brother said she was actually thinking of moving it to her bedroom. It's not a big deal in the end and if we have to we can probably return, but I just wish she could let go of the old one. It has always been a horrible thing.
    Accidently drop the shitty old TV while trying to reinstall it.
    And change the channel number on the new one.

Then slap her and tell her to be grateful, you never asked to be born etc....
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Horton's is fodder for the likes of my daughters. Or is it the other way 'round? Though even they don't frequent it a lot - it's all about the sweet stuff for them, not the coffee.

The sweet stuff is also garbage. At least Starbucks had a decent cake.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Timmys used to be an average coffee shop, cheap and cheerful, with fresh baked goods. Now it’s cheap with lower quality pre-baked or par-baked goods and the same coffee. I still go, hard to avoid as they’re on every street corner over here.
    Things can only get better.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had no idea that Tim Horton’s existed outside of Canada.
  • Their iced frapps are nice if you love sugar with iced sugar and sugar on top.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I had no idea that Tim Horton’s existed outside of Canada.

There is one in Warrington apparently.

I've never been.
  • My pal raves about the Canada ones, and was chuffed when he found one in Glasgow. I went to one when I found myself in Glasgow on Sunday afternoon. The mini donuts were fine, as was the coffee. I wouldn’t get excited about it, but nor was there anything to complain about.
  • Yeah I'm with Andy. It's really not bad price-wise so I suppose you get what ya pay for.
  • I thought it was pretty overpriced myself but I think that about most coffees. Just gimme a £2 flat white and be done.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Here they seem to go through staff at a monumental rate so nobody ever knows what they're doing. 15 minutes waiting for shitty filter coffee in a paper cup.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a drive through Horton's right next door to a drive through Starbucks in a shopping complex near me. I don't see either getting a lot of business to be honest.
  • Up until a few months ago I was living with a good friend. We also work together. He had the big room, I had the small one. The main renter is my ex girlfriend, who doesn’t live there any more but we’re still very good friends. She effectively left me in charge of the apartment; it’s up to me who moves in and who moves out, and which rooms we all have. I had previously lived in the big room for the last 4 years, but moved into the small room to save more money.

Ultimately, however, it was never my intention to stay in the small room long term. My plan was always to eventually move back into the big room. My friend- who had moved in 6 months ago- didn’t like this when I told him. He said he would rather move out than move into the small room. I could empathize with how he felt. It’s so so hard to find an affordable and decent sized room is Berlin these days, and so he didn’t want to give it up.

Were it anyone else living in the room I’d have said they had to move when their temporary contract was up, which in his case was in a month. But I considered him a good friend, so instead I said we could work something out in 6 months to a year- fucking loads of time.

About a month later I randomly got an opportunity to move into a bigger room at a good price, but at a lesser location. It was a super hard decision to make. I was feeling so desperate to get out of my tiny room, and the thought of staying there for another 5 to 11 months before moving into the big room was really depressing. So in the end I decided to leave the apartment I had been in for the last 5 years for something new.

I can state with absolute 100% certainty that were I not living with someone I considered to be a good friend that I would still be living at that apartment today, in the best district in Berlin, and naturally would have avoided all the stress and costs of moving.

In the two months since I have moved I have asked my former flatmate to check the mail for me twice and bring my letters into work. Literally twice. The first time he made a big fuss about it (I presumed he was joking) and now- the second time I’ve asked- he is refusing. He says I’ve been lazy and I should have registered at my new address already. Maybe that’s true, but fucking hell, it’s hardly as if I’m asking a big favour. He says I should come round and get it myself. Ffs he passes the mailbox on the way to work, and we work at the same place. I’m really shocked how unreasonable and unhelpful he’s being.

Not really sure what to do. I’m so annoyed that part of me wants to cut the friendship off completely. At this particular moment- in peak frustration- a little bit of me wants to move back just to kick him out for being such a dick. But at the same time I’m really low on good friends at the moment, and so falling out in a big way over something so small seems a bit overkill.

• Yeah he's being a prick. I've brought mail into work for a colleague (used to be my lodger) and even my ex ffs. Cutting him off as a friend also seems extreme, but it wouldn't take much more than this for it to be viable.
  • Fucksake, he has expended more energy getting in a strop about it than would have taken to just do it.
  • Sounds like hes an arse.
  • Maybe ask why it's a problem or if he thinks you've done something wrong?
  • Kow wrote:
    Tim Horton's again. Apart from the shit coffee, shit service etc, the awful music is worth pointing out. They seem to have a playlist composed entirely of second rate Bon Iver wannabes. Endless maudlin plunking. Just what you want with your shit coffee.
    Gloria Jean's round here always has terrible cover version of bad pop songs playing, but it's particularly loud in the toilets for some reason (well, because there's a speaker in there, but why they decided to do that I don't know).

It's an experience taking a shit while someone tries in vain to warble 'You're beautiful' with feeling.
  • Having a piss to 'Roar' was alright, I guess.
  • Sorry. I just realized what a large amount of text that was to communicate a really small problem. Bit of a waste of time for everyone
  • Nah, rant away.
    It's what the thread is for.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Arrange mail redirect, and ask anyway.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Alexa not remembering the play position of podcasts. Ridiculous. Unless there is some skill out there that I am unaware of?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My old haunt of a pub/hotel in Beadnell has reopened following heavy renovation work. It needed some work doing but it had live sport on TV (no Sky in the caravan, see?), the beer was decent and it had a canny pub grub menu.

It's much nicer all round now, the menu looks great, better beer, lovely decor. But no live sport! So that's both of the pubs in Beadnell prioritising food over footy, and I've got to nip over to Seahouses to take in a game. I suppose the walk will do me good. What I'd like to do is uproot one of the little dive bars from Seahouses and plonk it here, the Schooner would be ideal, no food, so dark inside you can barely see any cunt and pretty cheap.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pubs with no sport are the best pubs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!