Strength [+2]
  • 66kg today. Last few days of ‘cutting’. Not that I was that fat to start with. Can see 4 pack, fuck trying to see the 6 pack. Too much hard work. 

Around 12% body fat at the moment. Final weigh in this Sunday then I might start a proper slow lean bulk this time. And not get fat like last time. Too easy to think “yeah I can have a few more calories as I’m bulking” and get carried away. 

Strength taken a big hit during cut, so I’m looking forward to being able to lift more in a slight caloric surplus. Bring on DA GAINZZZ!!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Nice work man, good start to the new year for you!
  • How you been keeping? Been able to get some time to lift? Saw a video of you doing some cleans quite a while ago on Facebook, looked good.
  • I’m going fucking nuts with this gyms opening, gyms closing again.
    I know it’s necessary.
    Still annoying tho.
    I can only do so much at home with what I have. And I can’t for the life of me find any substantial weight sets online without spending multi hundreds for plates.

I suspect by the time the retailers get stock back in the pandemic will be virtually over.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    How you been keeping? Been able to get some time to lift? Saw a video of you doing some cleans quite a while ago on Facebook, looked good.

We're in our forth lockdown here so Gyms have been pretty much closed for the past year. But there have been times I could go. Feeling good mostly, still lifting and training when I can. Hope you're good man :)
  • Shit, sometimes I forget how long this fucking virus has fucked our lives.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Recently found out my sister (who's 5'2" and about 30lb lighter than me) half-squats 40kg for 6 minutes. So obviously I've just tried it (slightly harder with my 22 'bells), and nooo.

Turns out my strength endurance sucks; I'd have to really space out my reps to hit 5 mins. I'm gonna stay at 22 for now to see how much volume I can add, since that'll help my running a lot more than number-chasing. I have been lazy for a good while, though, just ticking over on a session every 10-odd days instead of lifting 3-4 times per week.
  • She sits in a half squat for 6 mins with 40kg?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I imagine she does reps for 6 minutes with 40kgs, rather that 1 squat.
  • Do any of you count your calories?
  • Count for a week or so to gauge how much I’m having on average, based on usual diet (I don’t change my eating habits much). I then make adjustments to general diet/habits for my goal and stop counting.

If I veer off on a day (odd day of indulging in burger and chips for example) I just compensate next day for it or more often that not just don’t worry about it as on average my intake will be fine.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I imagine she does reps for 6 minutes with 40kgs, rather that 1 squat.

Yeah, so if we estimate 10-15 reps per minute, that's 60-90 total. My 1RM's quite a lot higher so I didn't think I'd struggle, but I'm used to 3-6 full-squat reps over a few sets with longish rests. Pound-for-pound it's maybe the equivalent of me squatting 50 for 100.

It's like how I used to do 70 press-ups but can only do about half that now, despite being able to lift a lot more than I could then.
  • Do any of you count your calories?

No i intend to. Apparently eaiser when you have an app to record it all in and make the effort to fill it in.

• First day back in the gym since December. I. Feel. Fucked. 

Fitness and strength both severely down. Won’t take long to get it back up. Only missed a month of physical activity as I was doing some weights at home before Ramadan.
  • Ditto. Easing back in, especially with bench, deadlifts and squats. Adding 5 to 10 kgs each visit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm not even gonna look at previous benchmarks, it only brings me down when I fall so far short. Yet the muscle memory and adaptation speed is inherently present, in 9 weeks or so, you'll be way closer, just never feels like that in week one
    So good luck guys and gals, keep the peckers up
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Boy comes in this morning and decides I’m a racecar and starts riding on my back. Which somehow includes jumping up and down on me. While I’ve got DOMS already from yesterday.
  • Same here, 2 on 1 play fight with my lads this morning. Great warm up.
  • Getting better at my clean and jerk technique.  Need to get stronger though.  Gonna start eating a bit more if I can try and hit the gym 3-4 times a week.  That's the main problem - finding the time to go so that I can hit the muscles more often for some growth.

How's everyone else doing?
  • Cycling 45 mins on the static daily, varying resistance. Gym most nights, but not isolating muscle groups, only change is either deadlift or back squats which I alternate. Rugby pre season training is kicking off soon. Still at 100kgs.
  • Getting old and shit. I've started lifting again in March this year in a half arsed way with no particular goals in mind apart from to just enjoy it. Progress is slow, many times I don't move onto the scheduled increase in weight because I can't be bothered to exert myself. Managed to drop 7kgs by skipping breakfast, eating the equivalent of peanut butter on toast with some fruit for lunch and whatever for dinner. Snacks are a chocolate biscuit or more recently cake/chocolate bar. I've 'cheated' loads and I'm not monitoring calories or macros like I did before but everything seems to be working well so far. I think I'm soon about to approach my weight ceiling on a calorie deficit diet.

Before I got knocked off my bike during the 1st lockdown I managed to deadlift 145kgs at 70kgs. Then I slowly transformed into a blancmange over the two years. But it was kind of fun eating everything I wanted.

I think in this run, I'm just going to chill and do whatever when I feel like. In the past I've always pushed for maximum performance in cardio and strength but my tendons and ligament are weak as shit and could never keep up.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Good to hear you’re back into it. Keep at it!

I stopped strength training / powerlifting on 1/1/20. Hit new PBs, including a 145kg deadlift at 75kg so not quite as good as you! :)

I’ve been learning the Olympic lifts since then, obviously hampered by lockdowns. Getting there with the technique, can clean and jerk 60kg at bw of 72kg right now. Need to work on the jerk, cleans are good. 

Snatch I struggle a bit with due to shoulder mobility issues. Can do 40kg but need to work on the technique and mobility before I go higher.
  • Thanks man. There was an instructor at my old gym who offered to coach me with the Olympic lifts but I just find the whole throwing weights around above me terrifying. Keep going with them!
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Good to hear you’re back into it. Keep at it! I stopped strength training / powerlifting on 1/1/20. Hit new PBs, including a 145kg deadlift at 75kg so not quite as good as you! :) I’ve been learning the Olympic lifts since then, obviously hampered by lockdowns. Getting there with the technique, can clean and jerk 60kg at bw of 72kg right now. Need to work on the jerk, cleans are good.  Snatch I struggle a bit with due to shoulder mobility issues. Can do 40kg but need to work on the technique and mobility before I go higher.

Nice work man, love Oly lifting.
  • I've been doing overhead squats and snatch squats instead of squatting, since back squats fuck my lower back (or at least make it cramp up in the days between lifting). They are way more fun.
  • If I want a belt for squats and dead’s but would rather not spend £180 on a SBD one, are there any good alternatives?
    GT: Knight640
  • Fuck SBD.  Get an RDX one.  That's what I've been using.  I have a spare belt, used it once or twice before losing weight and having to buy a smaller size.  I think it's a medium.  I'm waist size 30" or so and it's just big for me.  It's similar to this one, just an older look:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RDX-Powerlifting-Adjustable-Bodybuilding-Deadlifts/dp/B093WWBJPS/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2TNC6SHPHACGT&keywords=rdx+weight+lifting+belt&qid=1665476164&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjI2IiwicXNhIjoiMy42MSIsInFzcCI6IjMuNDUifQ==&sprefix=rdx,aps,99&sr=8-3-spons&smid=A1ZZ6W3SS5CS22&th=1&psc=1
  • You can have it, if it'll fit you, but I'll have to check postage costs.
  • Ah thanks that’s very kind but I don’t want a buckle one. My gym has various buckle options to use already.
    GT: Knight640
  • No worries.  I'm moving away from buckle too.  At the moment, I seem to be between buckle holes!  So when I wear my belt, it's looser than I'd like and I can't squeeze into the next hole (ooer).

What are you after, the clasp ones?  I've got my eye on a velcro belt which should be good for whatever fit you want.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!