Strength [+2]
  • Well now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FFS
  • Skerret wrote:
    voices wrote:
    Nailed 92.5 for a single, so went for 95. Got that too. Probably just a hair under body weight given how much my calves have been killing during my runs. Edit: overhead press
    good lord I'm squeaking into 70 OHP for 5 rep target and managing 4, 5 is eluding me. My ageing body you know.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Wowzers. Hello there!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Wowzers. Hello there!
    It's Elf! He's back! In Elf form.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    FFS
    lol
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret wrote:
    voices wrote:
    Nailed 92.5 for a single, so went for 95. Got that too. Probably just a hair under body weight given how much my calves have been killing during my runs. Edit: overhead press
    good lord

I'm squeaking into 70 OHP for 5 rep target and managing 4, 5 is eluding me. My ageing body you know.

Yeah 95 is pretty crazy. Never seen anyone press that much at my gym and there’s some strong boys at it. Given it’s not a powerlifting exercise it gets neglected I guess. Although it’s, in reality, probably the ‘coolest’ lift in my eyes. Lifting a weight above your head is much more impressive than lying flat and lifting from your chest. That said, are these strict presses or is there some leg drive involved?

I’m strict pressing 62kg for 4 reps now. Hoping to crack 5 reps next time I do it. I set myself some targets for 2023 that I’m going to be very close to reaching I suspect, should probably super charge the calorie intact and ignore the belly expansion for a couple of months.
    GT: Knight640
  • Squat is coming along nicely again after a bit of a stall. Hoping to hit 157.5 for 5 this week.
  • Beast. 

Do you fail squats, or chicken out of them? I can't recall ever actually missing a rep, but I've definitely not completed my final programmed reps because I was convinced I wouldn't be able to do another. Squats are scary.
  • Short of getting a physio appointment (lol), anyone found any guides or advice for leg day for people with knee damage (arthritis- related in my case)?
    Even fitness guides for 40-50 year olds suggest regular lunges and squats which I find almost impossible.

I've got basic leg exercises for my condition, but was curious as to what other advice (if any) is out there in the community.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I think working each leg muscle in isolation would be of benefit. Just basing that on personal experience, really.
  • Have you tried knee sleeves? They're almost like magic for squat knee stability, but I'm not sure if they would help with joint pain. 

Otherwise, low bar back squats are pretty low impact/low load on knees, at the expense of your lower back (as long as you don't let your knees go beyond the line of your toes).
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    My magic knee elixir is full range leg press from a dead stop/bottom of the range. Full extension through the press, back down to a dead stop/hitting the rubber stopper, full extension til dead.

Using this as a warm-up for squats (heavyish, 320 inc. frame weight) has done wonders for me knees. Back up to 125 for 3x5 squats without pain which is the first time in a long fucking time. If I can hit 140 for comfortable 5s, I can retire.

I reckon I've got a 210 deadlift in me on a fresh day too, this year hopefully. Pulling 190 for 5 fairly comfortably.
  • voices wrote:
    Beast. 

Do you fail squats, or chicken out of them? I can't recall ever actually missing a rep, but I've definitely not completed my final programmed reps because I was convinced I wouldn't be able to do another. Squats are scary.

Both. I try and avoid going for a rep I don’t think I can make but that’s obviously not ideal for progress because until you try you don’t know! I squat in a power rack which helps but I also low bar and it’s harder to bail a low bar squat safely than high bar.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    you just fold, dribble out from under the bar then spring back up like a concertina
  • So since the last time I posted it’s all been a struggle. I tweaked my upper back, then my lower back, then I got ill, which wiped me out. Have just started making progress again. Did 162.5 on squat today for 5. Hoping to get to a 4 plate DL soon. My bench has gone backwards though which is a bit depressing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!