Strength [+2]
  • 77.5kg ohp for 5 paused at the bottom. I think that's better than 80 paused at the top. Getting close to that bodyweight single.
  • Nice! Keep it up!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Had a session with the only starting strength coach in the UK today. Absolutely brilliant.
    GT: Knight640
  • Nailed 92.5 for a single, so went for 95. Got that too. Probably just a hair under body weight given how much my calves have been killing during my runs.

Edit: overhead press
  • Went to the gym for the first time in over 6 weeks on Tuesday.  I'm still sore but I do love the feeling of DOMS.  It's good to be back!

Will try tonight but might still be too sore to train heavy.
  • It's great until you try and do something with your legs. It doesn't matter how manly your tears are, it's not a great look.
  • I was walking funny during the school run. I bet others thought I was weird. I made it look like I had a unique swagger.
  • voices wrote:
    Nailed 92.5 for a single, so went for 95. Got that too. Probably just a hair under body weight given how much my calves have been killing during my runs.

Edit: overhead press

Super impressive this. I’m struggling to break 55kg for 3x5 on OP right now. Think I’m mostly eating enough but not getting enough sleep. I may also be at the end of any linear progression I can make and need to mix up the programming.
  • For what it's worth - I'd suggest continuing linear progression if you can get 1 set of 5. I stalled for a really, really long time at 67.5kg just because I couldn't get the last rep of the third set. Even considered 65kg my 5 rep max. I wish I'd cracked on instead of deloading and working my way back up, and I never got any higher until I changed away from starting strength (which was years later).

If you want to stick with 3 sets then consider push pressing the final sets you can't get. Otherwise just deload your last 2 sets by 5kg or something, and then do some additional sets stepping down the weight. Volume also seems to be super effective.

OHP is one of those exercises that it's really hard to recover from between sets, so three sets at working weight might be holding you back from where you really are.
  • Thanks - super helpful. I feel pretty good about getting 66 tomorrow for 3x5. We’ll see. But yeah maybe a 1x5 work set is a good shout. Do you recommend working up to that with a couple of 5 rep sets at a lower weight? Or just warmups as normal?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    That a strict OHP? Very impressive number.
  • I did 3x5 with 37.5kg yesterday and that was hard, go me!  I was fucked from an hour of clean and jerk practice 2 days earlier though.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Did 10 rounds every 45 seconds of Power Clean and Front Squat on Tuesday. Start at 90kg and finished at 100kg. Was happy with that.

Did a Hero workout then yesterday, goosed after it.

7 Rounds for time:

- 7HSPUs
    - 7 Thrusters @50kg
    - 7 knees to elbow
    - 7 DL @100kg
    - 7 Burpees
    - 7 KB Swings @32kg
    - 7 pull-ups
  • BEAST!

So is that a 90kg C&J then 45 seconds rest before another, gradually working to 100kg for the 10th set?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah, every 45s a power clean and front front squat.
  • Oh sorry yeah not C&J.  But 100kg power clean, nice!  I'd be happy to get to 80kg.  Current best is only 70kg full clean.
  • Knight wrote:
    Thanks - super helpful. I feel pretty good about getting 66 tomorrow for 3x5. We’ll see. But yeah maybe a 1x5 work set is a good shout. Do you recommend working up to that with a couple of 5 rep sets at a lower weight? Or just warmups as normal?

Just go for it after warm ups, but make sure you've primed your muscles with a couple of singles/doubles at 5/10kg less. Just to make sure your CNS knows it's about to put some work in.

100kg power clean is beastly. Snatches/Cleans etc always look super impressive too. It's one thing to go and lift heavy weight, but there's just something about decent looking olympic (ish) lifts.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    That a strict OHP? Very impressive number.

Whoops! 56 :) voices numbers are very impressive though.

For me no legs are involved. Some hip movement forward to get the head out of the way of the bar.

I did 140kg low bar squat 3x5 Monday but watching it back I was parallel or just above rather than just below (which is what I want to be) so need to sort that.
  • Failed my 3x5 effort at 56 so just jumped to 57 for 1x5 next time I went. Went up nice and easy so gonna see how the one heavy set goes for a while. Thanks for the tip voices!
  • Make sure you're still getting lots of volume in addition to the single working set. A few sets of 5 at 50ish kg or something
  • 58kg for 1x5 was more of a grind but also went up. I need to work out the lower weight volume sets, have been doing that a bit (a set at 50 for higher reps, a set for high reps at 40) but not quite sure what specifically I should do. Probably need to read up on programming a bit. Up till now it’s all just been linear 3x5 adding weight next workout (as long as I completed all the reps the previous one).
  • New PB at gym always feels so good! Cleaned 70kg over the weekend and hit it again fairly easily just now. 72.5kg would be body weight and current aim, but missed it twice at the weekend. 

Now if I could just jerk that weight too…!
  • The OLY lifts are so impressive. I don’t have the body awareness/ patience to learn them. Very cool when you see em done IRL though.
  • Knight - try n suns. Warm up, top set for max reps you can do. If you get one rep, increase the weight next time. Drop sets in increments of 5kg, for 3, 5, 3, 5, max reps.

So - for a 80kg single, I'd do 3x75, 5x70, 3x65, 5x60, 8x55.

There's stuff about assistance exercises, but that's the gist of the drop sets. It's pretty straight forward, and you get to mess about with other rep ranges because as the weight increases the max reps you can do will reduce.

• Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    New PB at gym always feels so good! Cleaned 70kg over the weekend and hit it again fairly easily just now. 72.5kg would be body weight and current aim, but missed it twice at the weekend.  Now if I could just jerk that weight too…!

Nice one Som, always feels good to get a PB!
  • voices wrote:
    Knight - try n suns. Warm up, top set for max reps you can do. If you get one rep, increase the weight next time. Drop sets in increments of 5kg, for 3, 5, 3, 5, max reps.

So - for a 80kg single, I'd do 3x75, 5x70, 3x65, 5x60, 8x55.

There's stuff about assistance exercises, but that's the gist of the drop sets. It's pretty straight forward, and you get to mess about with other rep ranges because as the weight increases the max reps you can do will reduce.

Ah interesting thank you! What sort of increments would you say? So if you did a triple for 80kg as a top set then next time you add how much to the bar?
  • Just add 2.5kg next workout every time you hit at least one rep. The actual program has different weights depending on how many reps you get, so if you want to follow it to a t you can Google it. It also gives the drop sets as percentages.

2.5kg is a big jump for ohp so I'd just stick with that.
  • Anyone have any recs on kettlebells for the home?
    Purchasing rather than workouts.

Im reluctant to buy something that is next to useless once Im past that particular weight. Dumb/Barbells are easier.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    voices wrote:
    Nailed 92.5 for a single, so went for 95. Got that too. Probably just a hair under body weight given how much my calves have been killing during my runs. Edit: overhead press
    good lord

I'm squeaking into 70 OHP for 5 rep target and managing 4, 5 is eluding me. My ageing body you know.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Wowzers. Hello there!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!